Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whiteline anti lift kits any good?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2009, 10:54 PM
GMAN60
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiteline anti lift kits any good?

I have a bug eye wrx and i'm looking for advice on the anti lift kits that are available, are they any good? Are they worth £150? Do your tyres suffer due to the change in camber? cheers
Old 23 June 2009, 11:12 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Camber change is very small. The caster change is better though and thats the real reason of the ALK. Just remember it does what it says on the tin, its just how you read it! Most people on here see it as the bonnet of your car will not lift after an ALK is installed, infact an ALK stops the wheel from lifting thus pushing your suspension up and your bonnet too.
Old 24 June 2009, 08:07 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi !

It's more a case of value for money imho.

The rear bar is THE BEST value mod on my car, then did the front ARB and ALK to increase the grip. But for the money it's a relatively small improvement. I would still do it if I had the choice.

HTH

dunx

P.S. Car was much better on heavily cambered roundabouts too !
Old 24 June 2009, 09:16 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camber change is not part of the package, only caster. You will need to have an alignment check/adjust after fitting to re-set toe and camber. This effectively puts the cost of the kit up considerably.
I found slightly better turn-in and a firmer feel to the front end plus, unfortunately, slightly more road noise.

JohnD
Old 24 June 2009, 11:54 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe changing the caster changes the dynamic camber with the alk. I.e. you have slightly more camber when your wheels are turned.

But we are talking about 0.5deg castor change.

Ive just fitted one and i dont think its worth it really. Slight improvements. But hitting holes is worse/crashey.

its certainly NOT worth all the hype it gets. And at 150 quid for a bit of metal and 2 bushes its a bit of a rip off.

As john says you will also need an alignment. Perhap just do it as part of a big handling upgrade so you only have to get alignment once to do the lot..
Old 24 June 2009, 12:56 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=scoobyc;8783792]i believe changing the caster changes the dynamic camber with the alk. I.e. you have slightly more camber when your wheels are turned.

Yes, I was refering to the static camber.
I believe the Perrin version gives more caster change?

JohnD
Old 24 June 2009, 09:34 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

I thought it was worth it - although as dunx says not as dramatic a change as rear ARB and droplinks. For me it made the steering feel more positive when driving straight, although the downside I noticed is a slight loss of feel (subjective). It's been a while though so can't really remember what it was like before! Get the alignment done at the same time, using 'fast road' settings which you can find on here, this also makes a big difference.

Regarding road noise - I got the comfort version with softer bushes, I have noticed hardly any change in harshness while still getting the positive benefits. I believe Powerstation use this version - and they know what they're doing.
Old 24 June 2009, 10:29 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have it fitted on a classic, it's a good modification, less under steer into corners and more grip off the line, on the classic you only have to replace the bush with the offset mounting that comes from whitline, on later models spacers have to be fitted to space the front subframe to the correct position also. That’s why it gets expensive, the alignment is carried out after fitment, fast road settings work well -1deg camber front -0.5deg rear with zero toe front and back, certainly improves the responsiveness of the car.
Old 24 June 2009, 11:09 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=JohnD;8783894]
Originally Posted by scoobyc
i believe changing the caster changes the dynamic camber with the alk. I.e. you have slightly more camber when your wheels are turned.

Yes, I was refering to the static camber.
I believe the Perrin version gives more caster change?

JohnD
I've heard the same about the Perrin one - also it provides the facility to grease the kit without having to remove it.
Old 24 June 2009, 11:14 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

[quote=Bugeye_Scoob;8785217]
Originally Posted by JohnD

I've heard the same about the Perrin one - also it provides the facility to grease the kit without having to remove it.
Now thats a good idea!