22B Advice

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2009, 11:03 PM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22B Advice

Well Lads,
This is my first post so please be gentle.

Thought i had purchased my first Scooby(V4 Type R) last week but auction went pear shaped(long story) so i was back to square 1.
Then on Friday,was browsing and came across a 22B(JDM),40K Mls,totally standard besides aftermarket alloys which i dont want but will get over.
Rang the seller(Dealer) and he assured me everything is A1 with the car(as he would!).
I am going viewing the car this Saturday and will have to give an answer so i really would appreciate any help that you could give me.
Have reading about horror stories with bottom ends,oil pumps,fuel pumps etc all going belly up quite frequently.Are all these true? Are these problems very common??
If i do purchase the car it will be minded like a child so no problem there,also have a company vehicle so the Scooby will just be a car for the weekends.
Just what really is worrying me is spending 22-23k on a car and a month later,it all goes horribly wrong for me.I have lusted after a Subaru for so long now and finally i could get a chance to own the Ultimate(In my opinion!).With all the horror stories i have heard what i am really looking for is some reassurance really from enthusiasts like yourselves who know what ye are talking about and deal with them every day?

Anyway i really would appreciate any help and info.
Thanks in advance,
Dave.
Old 22 June 2009, 11:27 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 22b is such a rare car has it's own web site........I'd post there and I would expect someone might know the car LOL

22B.com

Shaun
Old 22 June 2009, 11:37 PM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

gotta say mate, i'd take this chance to own one, it is the ultimate, wish i had the money to be looking for one!!!!! your right to get as much info as poss cos its a large amount of money your talking about, but to be honest you'll never lose on it, look after it and im sure you will have one hell of an expensive car on your hands in a few years time!!!! good luck and get some pics on if you go for it!!!!
Old 22 June 2009, 11:41 PM
wrxben
Scooby Regular

p.s the thread above is spot on and well worth taking note of
Old 22 June 2009, 11:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate the ones without the correct alloy wheels (800 quid each and they no longer produce them), but look around still, some lower mileage examples about (and have a look in the car care section on the 22B makeover!)

Tony
Old 22 June 2009, 11:55 PM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies lads,
Ya i know what you mean Ben,im thinking the exact same as you.Once i see it on Saturday dont think there is a hope in hell that i would be able to walk away from it!!

Shaun,Tony,cheers,Will post the same on 22B.com and see what they come up with.

As i said just have that worry in the back of my mind regarding reliability.Car will be well looked after and garaged but once it hits 4pm on Fridays she will be coming out.
Roll on Saturday!!
Old 23 June 2009, 03:26 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

23K for what - a 10 or 11 year old car.

I'm sorry, but you much have more money than sense.

Then the insurance - thats bound to set you back a few quid more, especially due to the difficulty of obtaining spares for the thing?

Shaun
Old 23 June 2009, 03:30 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

His money, his choice.................
Old 23 June 2009, 03:44 PM
RICKSTER555
Scooby Regular

Insurance won't be to much more than a standard late spec sti, I know this as when I had a 22B it only went up about 50 pounds. My only piece of basic advice I would give is can you afford to have such an expensive car as a toy? I loved mine to bits but I would spend all my time driving my old beat up honda and found the 22B just sitting in the garage. Now I have a Litchfield type 25 that I use everyday and love every minute of it. I think it all comes down to your individual preference, if you are happy to have such a large investmant in a weekend car then go for it and as said above you shouldn't lose money on a 22B (although I managed to!!)
Old 23 June 2009, 04:10 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

The 22b is an awesome car, I'd love to own one, but I think I would be afraid to destroy it. I think I would be more happy with a cheaper Type R. Good luck with the car if you do buy it, get some pics up when you do!
Old 23 June 2009, 04:14 PM
Stevie-Sport
Scooby Regular

agreed with the above posts, i think i would end up doing what the others have said. Buying a 22B and leaving it in the garage, driving it only a couple of times incase something were to happen to it. I know thats no way to live, but its a lot of money
Old 23 June 2009, 04:39 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V5RVLTD
His money, his choice.................
Yes thats true.

However..........................
Why?
I'm curious.
Old 23 June 2009, 04:51 PM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Possibly the exclusiveness of having one what are the chances of meeting another one on the road At least 2 of em never come out!
Old 23 June 2009, 05:29 PM
mak24seven
Scooby Regular

A lot of people can't drive there car in the week, i have to drive my stinking van all week so any car i get is stuck in the garage until the weekend, i guess it opens up more options of what you can buy because the issue of running costs is not such a big deal, a lot of people have bikes as toys so a car is no different stuck in the garage than the bike. When you get to 20-25k to spend on a car there is a massive choice of old (and not so old) exotica out there to look at so this guy must be well into the old scoob
Old 23 June 2009, 06:35 PM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by urban
Yes thats true.

However..........................
Why?
I'm curious.
Basically because its a 22B.Simple as that really i suppose!
Think the history that the 22B has has a lot to do with it also,Mcrae,Burns,both legends and when you think of them,you think 22B.

Fair enough,with the same money i could buy a Ferrari 348 maybe even a 355,both gorgeous cars,but they dont interest me or i could buy a brand new 09' car,but that doesnt interest me either.
The 22B has massive character and is respected by every car enthusiast(even the evo owners!) for its pedigree and presence.
Like i said i have the company vehicle for during the week so running costs on the Subaru wont be much,only maybe the insurance.
Dont care really,not a very wealthy person either,just a 26yo engineer on an average wage but have always wanted a 22B since i set eyes on it in the Corsica rally and always promised myself i would have one,now i have the chance,so thats it really.
You only live once,might aswell enjoy it
Hope that answers your question,
Cheers,Dave...
Old 24 June 2009, 09:05 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

We'll good luck Dave.

All the best with the purchase,
Shaun
Old 24 June 2009, 06:23 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 22BIreland

......have always wanted a 22B since i set eyes on it in the Corsica rally and always promised myself i would have one,now i have the chance,so thats it really.
You only live once,might aswell enjoy it

Spot on mate , you cant take it with you!

Andy.
Old 24 June 2009, 06:39 PM
bobsru
Scooby Regular

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it
Your always going to get a mixed view on here, if i had 23k burning a hole in my pocket and the thought of owning a 22b i wouldnt be able to sleep till i had it sat on my driveway
Old 24 June 2009, 09:31 PM
bobsru
Scooby Regular

Have you seen this one?
driven image ltd : SUBARU IMPREZA STI 22B VERY LOW MILES!
Old 24 June 2009, 10:10 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

The 1 above please stay away from they will tell you why on 22b..

22b cant go wrong ive owned 3 of them and bluescoob still owns 2 low mileage mint examples..
Old 24 June 2009, 11:02 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

If you can are in a position to buy a 22B then do it - you won't regret.

I've had mine for over 2 years and used it like a normal car - going to work & back (before I bought a Tribeca), transporting the dog, drivng all over the country to shows etc etc I would suggest it's probably the most used 22B in the country as I do in excess of 10k miles annually in it. It's also been extensively modified (but I have all original parts to return it standard if I ever needed to), the purests might not like it but I love it.

Just use common sense, have a thorough look over any car you go and see and if it seems right, part with the cash.
Old 24 June 2009, 11:04 PM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Thought i saw that one on a Japanese auction site yesterday,obviously not..
Looks like a clean car though but will take your advice..
Going looking at one Saturday,hopefully it will all go well,not many for sale here in Ireland at the moment..
Old 24 June 2009, 11:12 PM
22BIreland
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by drumsterphil
If you can are in a position to buy a 22B then do it - you won't regret.

I've had mine for over 2 years and used it like a normal car - going to work & back (before I bought a Tribeca), transporting the dog, drivng all over the country to shows etc etc I would suggest it's probably the most used 22B in the country as I do in excess of 10k miles annually in it. It's also been extensively modified (but I have all original parts to return it standard if I ever needed to), the purests might not like it but I love it.

Just use common sense, have a thorough look over any car you go and see and if it seems right, part with the cash.
Cheers

Always good to hear reassuring comments like that,puts the mind at ease a bit..
Apparently the engine and engine bay is in very good condition and sounds fine.
Car has been imported from Japan and has a few niggly marks on the bodywork etc but im willing to get over that really.If i buy the car it will be going for a full compounding etc so although id prefer not to have any issues with the bodywork i am willing to look past it.
I suppose as long as its driving well thats the main thing..
Old 25 June 2009, 12:33 AM
Sonic74f
Scooby Regular

Personally if I was spending this amount of money on a 22B I would want it to as close to perfect as possible and would want it to be completely original. I adore the 22B for all the reason that you buying it for but 23k will buy you a lot of Subaru in other models also so look at other options also before you hand over your money.