Sponsored by:

Extra security equiptment

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2001, 01:09 AM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I too will be a proud owner of a scooby very shortly, but with all the talk about theft and breakin I just wondered if anyone can recommend some good security extra's that may either stop or act as a deterrent to those little b*stards who try to take our pride and joy away from us.

Personally I was thinking of buying a rockwhieler I could name him 'scrappy' and he could guard my motor throughout the day. And at night was thinking of maybe wiring my car up to the 240 mains supply in my garage.

But then again... I don't think I'd get away with it.

Appreciate any comments

btw my Impreza will come standard with the sigma cat 1 alarm and immobilizer (probably not enough).

Thx Maddy.
Old 09 February 2001, 07:34 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Recommend a Tracker/Trackstar/Eguard and a barrier deadlock.

Luke on this board is talking about a security device which will make "intruders want to get out of the car" but he won't let on what it is but is supposed to be arranging a demo soon.

Also, check out the archives in the Security section for info.

Matt.

[This message has been edited by mutant_matt (edited 09 February 2001).]
Old 09 February 2001, 07:46 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Might be a good idea to get some visible deterrents too .... eg steering wheel lock...
Old 09 February 2001, 09:36 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

I would strongly recommend Barrier Deadlock. Circa £200 for an very neat gear box lock which takes seconds to engage and is almost invisible within the cabin. Also have a look at product tests within
Old 09 February 2001, 09:38 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention Autoexpress also have a test listed on Tracking units, which may be of interest. Find it on their website, also under product tests.
Old 09 February 2001, 05:17 PM
James Douglas
Scooby Regular

I think preventions a good starting place.

Ive been a biker for some years and ive still got my bike (lots stolen in my area). Most of the advise below is from the bike mags - its just common sense stuff.

If you've got a garage, park the car straight in there. Dont leave it on the road. Not for 5 mins. If no one knows its there they cant steal it. Unless they happen upon it by chance your ok. Ive got a sold secure garage lock that prevents the up and over garage doors from opening - check the Demon tweeks motorbike catalogue for the kit.

I figure if they can get through that, the alarm/immoboliser and disklock without waking me or the neighbours they are gonna get the car whatever security you put in.
Dont leave it in a dark back alley overnight!!

Also, check your not being followed. Kids in Nova's follow you home and tell the pro-crims where to go and get your baby.

Last advise if a bit daft - but apparently true. Fill your car and garage with Geese!!!! They are the nastiest b****ds money can buy. Problem is they go for anyone - inc the owner!!!! So the trip to your car may include several pecks on the ****!!!!!

I always leave a disklock on if i park anywhere. Dont leave anything in view - it invites attention to a car that gets attention. I work on the principle that the common thief is lazy and goes after the easiest thing available. In a line of cars he wont pick yours if there are cars with bits in the back seat or no steering lock.
Old 09 February 2001, 07:20 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Maddy,

email craigfinney@ntlworld.com , he posts on the bbs as craigamungos, he runs Elite Vehicle Security and has installers across the country.

A number of scoobynet members have had pager systems fitted including myself.
Craig's work is first class.

If you are thinking of any alarm upgrades or Tracker etc give Craig a call and tell him you are a Scoobynet member, you'll get a discount.

Lee
Old 10 February 2001, 08:37 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Another thing to think about while we are being paranoid, is to do a bit of homework on the business you use to install your alarm or tracker.

The alarm installation is as important as the alarm itself. Pro-criminals know the usual locations for various alarms so thought needs to go into the best location for the install.

Also I have been told that it's not unknown for a dishonest garage to insatll your alarm, give you 2 sets of controls and then sell another (plus your address etc) to a criminal who then comes and silently removes your car.

Always choose a reputable company !

Chris.
Old 10 February 2001, 09:14 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Maddy. I dont think you need to go overboard with security. I bought a disklok for my steering wheel for the few occasions when the car is not garaged and is out of my site. ie multi storie car parks. But you already have an alarm and the car is in the garage. Money might be better spent making the house and garage more secure. I fitted a tracking system but wish I had not done so now.
Old 10 February 2001, 09:20 AM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Cwal1,
As an elaboration on the story you have mentioned, ALLEGEDLY (I cannot be held legally responsible for scurrilous gossip, relating to any company past or present), several years ago a local Ford MAIN AGENT, unfortunately employed a thieving S**t, who would get copies of your keys and address,whilst your car was being serviced.
The car would be stolen from your home address, and completely dismantled down to the bare shell.
This was then carefully 'dumped' undamaged somewhere quiet, and the Police would immediately be notified, and recover the 'car'.
It would then be legally purchased back from the insurance company, and rebuilt with a set of 'spares!' engine gearbox, full interior trim doors, glass etc and re-registered.
Outcome, one legalised stolen car, bought for next to nothing. (the price of the gutted shell without doors etc would be very low).
BE PARNOID.

Cheers MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 10 February 2001).]
Old 10 February 2001, 01:02 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Maddy, I've not heard a bad word about a Security Deadlock. First accessory I fitted. Expensive but very simple to use and top security. Phone 0151 489 4889.

Richard Hopkins.
Old 11 February 2001, 12:56 AM
Gary- X705+++
Scooby Regular

Talking

It depends how much money you've got to spend, if you don't wanna spend loads start with a disklock, locking wheel nuts, and why not fit a burglar alarm to you garage you can get a cheep one now for £30-£40 in a DIY shop.

If you fit a tracker do you reely want it back if it's been nicked, I think the best way is to stop them getting it in the 1st place.
Old 11 February 2001, 12:58 AM
Gary- X705+++
Scooby Regular

Talking

It depends how much money you've got to spend, if you don't wanna spend loads start with a disklock, locking wheel nuts, and why not fit a burglar alarm to you garage you can get a cheep one now for £30-£40 in a DIY shop.

If you fit a tracker do you really want it back if it's been nicked, I think the best way is to stop them getting it in the 1st place.
Old 11 February 2001, 01:03 PM
Gordon Shek
Scooby Regular

Do any of you know where I can get a MuliTlock. i had one in my S2 RS Turbo and it was that it stopped the theives taking the motor away. Does anyone have it installed in their scooby?