Is my '99 ECU Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2009, 11:03 AM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my '99 ECU Standard?

Hi all,

I've had my '99 UK Classic for about 8/9 weeks now, and finally started doing some investigation. When I purchased the car, the guy I bought it off (have no problems with him, he just told me what he was told previously) told me he thought it had classic PPP fitted. Well, I can tell the suspension is not standard, much too firm for a standard UK Turbo. It seems to pull much better than any other UK Turbo that I test drove before buying it, and assumed it was because of the 'PPP ECU differences'. I decided yesterday to take a look at the ECU, and I'm pretty sure it's not a Prodrive ECU. Did they not all have PINK labels? It's a red label, and marked up as an AE801.
Would the fact that the car has a full decat + uprated panel filter really make so much of a difference to performance without a remap? The only other thing I suppose is if it's been remapped previously, but I doubt it. Is the only way to tell by having a mapper plug in and check?
I do not have a boost guage fitted, but pretty sure when test drove originally (Defi's taken out by him on completion of sale) the car hit circa 1 BAR. Is this the expected standard?

Proby
Old 03 May 2009, 11:13 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

ECU sounds standard. Both of my previous 99 UK Turbo 2000 had an ECU with a Red label.

Also 1 bar sounds about right too.
Old 03 May 2009, 11:16 AM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

This a a Prodrive ECU mate..

Old 03 May 2009, 11:20 AM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

1 bar is 14.5 PSI which to me sounds a bit high? My 96WRX used to run 14 before i had it put up to 17 but the WRX has the TD05 were as yours(and mine now) has the TD04 which i'm not sure if they boost lower..like 1.2.

Oh and i couldn't buy a car then let somone rip Defi's out..gauges are a must on these cars.
Old 03 May 2009, 11:42 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Proby521
It seems to pull much better than any other UK Turbo that I test drove before buying it, and assumed it was because of the 'PPP ECU differences'.
Were the other cars you drove 99MYs or 98s and 2000s and the likes?

The reason I ask is that I had a 99MY and then a 2000MY together and the 99MY was noticeably faster especially in the midrange. It seemed so different that two of us tried the cars side by side on a private race track and the difference was fairly large in the favour of the 99 car.

I subsequently read that the 99MY uses an 801 ECU and the 2000 uses an 802 I think and the standard map in the 99 is much better in terms of performance so much so that people have often swapped out the 802 for an 801 as a cheap upgrade.
Old 03 May 2009, 01:10 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

THIS IS 'PROBY'. USED THE OTHER HALF'S LAPTOP AND ONLY REALISED AFTER POSTING I WAS LOGGED IN AS HER!

Thanks chaps, Its def not like the picture of the one you posted Alan. I had my suspicions! In some ways I'm glad, that means I can look forward to a bigger power hike when I eventually get it mapped!

The other cars driven had been a couple of standard '98 UK's and a standard '00. How strange.

Alan I had agreed for him to take the defi's out. It was clearly stated to me before I agreed to purchase. He wanted them for his P1. I'm on the lookout for some s/hand, but going to end up looking for a cheaper option as I really can't afford to pay new defi money at the moment!

Looks like I better save hard for a Walbro and a remap. Kids, it's beans on toast for tea for the next few months!

Last edited by Hysteria1983; 03 May 2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Opps Mrs' account.
Old 03 May 2009, 01:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
The other cars driven had been a couple of standard '98 UK's and a standard '00. How strange.
I think that is your answer then. I reckon you have a standard 99 801 ECU

See this link for more details:

99/00MY OEM ECU Comparison
Old 03 May 2009, 01:26 PM
Darc174
Scooby Regular

this is my old SCU out of my00

this one is the Remappable one

Old 03 May 2009, 03:48 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I think that is your answer then. I reckon you have a standard 99 801 ECU

See this link for more details:

99/00MY OEM ECU Comparison
After reading up here, It's easily identifiable as a '99 801 ECU. Thanks guys, better get saving. Still felt it had a lot more than 15bhp more or so than others I drove though. Maybe it's the way it delivers it.
Old 03 May 2009, 04:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

After reading up here, It's easily identifiable as a '99 801 ECU. Thanks guys, better get saving. Still felt it had a lot more than 15bhp more or so than others I drove though. Maybe it's the way it delivers it.
The difference in the midrange is very noticeable.

Anyway at least you can now look forward to the additional benefit a remap will bring.
Old 03 May 2009, 09:30 PM
micabluematt
Scooby Regular

you also test drove a 99
Old 04 May 2009, 10:02 AM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt,

Your right I did! Have you still got yours for sale? If so I can't believe someone hasn't snapped your hand off for it in that condition! I must admit I looked at a few and NONE had bodywork in as good a condition as yours. The classic I have now really does feel quicker than all the others I drove. I'm putting it down to the decat which seems to make it spool up quicker. Matt, if yours is still for sale, good luck! and if anyones after a mint example in very close to standard form I suggest you go and take a look!

Proby
Old 04 May 2009, 10:19 AM
micabluematt
Scooby Regular

hello mate ,yes i advertised it last week on p.h and the first person that came bought it so im scoobyless now for the first time in years ,hope you are having loads of fun with your new baby
Old 04 May 2009, 10:53 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice fast sale for you then Mat..... great!
We are having loads of fun with the car. My daughter loves it to bits.
Sunroof open, cruising along..... she is like her mummy, likes the feel of the wind rushing through her hair!
She is 21 months old and gets a scooby grin!!!
Old 04 May 2009, 06:11 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

I've had my '99 UK Classic for about 8/9 weeks now, and finally started doing some investigation. When I purchased the car, the guy I bought it off (have no problems with him, he just told me what he was told previously) told me he thought it had classic PPP fitted. Well, I can tell the suspension is not standard, much too firm for a standard UK Turbo. It seems to pull much better than any other UK Turbo that I test drove before buying it, and assumed it was because of the 'PPP ECU differences'. I decided yesterday to take a look at the ECU, and I'm pretty sure it's not a Prodrive ECU. Did they not all have PINK labels? It's a red label, and marked up as an AE801.
Would the fact that the car has a full decat + uprated panel filter really make so much of a difference to performance without a remap? The only other thing I suppose is if it's been remapped previously, but I doubt it. Is the only way to tell by having a mapper plug in and check?
I do not have a boost guage fitted, but pretty sure when test drove originally (Defi's taken out by him on completion of sale) the car hit circa 1 BAR. Is this the expected standard?

Proby
hi mate i read somewhere that the late classic turbos came with sti suspension and four pot calipers as standard (99-00) thats why there much firmer than the older ones my 97 turbo i had was no where near as firm either . i now have a 99 turbo which is getting mapped by zen tomorrow i got straight through exhaust from the turbo so hopefully will make a good difference.
Old 04 May 2009, 08:59 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s c o o b y
hi mate i read somewhere that the late classic turbos came with sti suspension and four pot calipers as standard (99-00) thats why there much firmer than the older ones my 97 turbo i had was no where near as firm either . i now have a 99 turbo which is getting mapped by zen tomorrow i got straight through exhaust from the turbo so hopefully will make a good difference.

Is the only mod the exhaust from the turbo? Interesting to see what you get! Let me know! Never knew about late classics getting STi suspension, will look into it.

Proby