Sponsored by:

Newage Hatchback Sti

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2009, 09:12 AM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage Hatchback Sti

Are there many out there who have gone from a Hawkeye to the Newage Hatchback? How do you find it better or worse? All the reviews I have read say the interior is better but the steering is worse? Also the bew ones have a bit more umph in them, I'd be stepping down from a PPP Sti to a Newage Sti would I notice much difference as I have decided I couldn't afford the 330s and don't really need all the toys it comes with.

Appreciate any advice.
Old 29 April 2009, 10:52 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

(Just a quick correction..The hatch is not a "Newage")

I went from a 2003 STI (major understeer when pushed round tight corners and booted) to a Porsche Cayman (best handling car I've ever driven) to a 2008 STI, and the STI is not as good as the Porker handling wise, but very much better than the blobeye.

Some people on here (and press) are not happy with the steering "feel"... I've not noticed a major problem with it.. yes it's a bit lighter than I'd hope, but it goes where you point it... so that's good enough for me!

Ride comfort is also improved, yes some more body roll but not enough to upset the car unless you fancy track days.

The 2.5 lump needs more mid-top end grunt imho....loads of torque initially but flat spots out at 3500-4000rpms then pulls hard till 5.5k but again runs out a little early so no point red lining at all... A remap or PPP in the future is going to be on most people's books (certainly mine) to make it a 100% (currently 85%).

Hope that helps

Last edited by scooby L; 29 April 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 29 April 2009, 11:37 AM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. So the current shape is known as what as I ahve seen it refered to as both?

My current car has the 2.5 lump but presumably the new one has tweeked it as the performance figures appear better to mine as it was as standard. If you remap a car am I right this should be done outside of the warranty? Also do people declare remaps with their insurers, I've had such a hard time with insurance just for the PPP as its a modification so you can't get standard on line quotes which I hate and the premiums for mods are ridiculous.

I suppose the bottom line is would I be getting a much 'lesser' car to change my Hawkeye Sti with PPP for the current Sti Model?
Old 29 April 2009, 11:43 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

It'll feel less raw... "lesser's" not a term I'd use, Subaru have softened the marque slightly to appeal to a greater market....

Yes re-maps will invalidate your IM warranty, the PPP will not but it's £1600 for 30bhp...not great VFM.

Anyone who remaps and does not declare it to their insurance is a pillock and should be thrown in a very large pit.

I have however heard of Subaru dealerships "overlooking" remapped cars as "out of warranty".... (they need the money as much as the next man, and IM take the garage's word on what needs doing..mostly!)

Last edited by scooby L; 29 April 2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 29 April 2009, 11:49 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

oh and the 2008 car is known as the HATCH.

Newage is Bug, Blob and Hawk
Old 29 April 2009, 01:40 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

subaru dealers cant tell a remapped car can they? Dont they need the equipment to do it? when they do a ppp all they do is swop the ecu over for one provided by prodrive, i think they overlook stuff like different exhausts etc.
But i would stay away from a remap with the new shape as there have been a number of engine failures, which if remapped would be picked up during the assessment.
Old 29 April 2009, 02:33 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I'd argue that a professional map by one of our trusted mappers would be safer than the generic map provided by Subaru.

Certainly the number 3 cylinder "running lean" would be mapped out, with a custom map ensuring the car stays within it's limits.

The stock map has been found wanting already...
Old 01 May 2009, 03:27 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Went from a 350/350 Blobeye to a 08 STi. Had it 12 months now, best descision i made. Love the new one. As said above just needs a tweek here and there and jobs a good un. Lets face it no matter how good the standard Subarus are, not many are kept standard. And i mean any model.

Lee
Old 01 May 2009, 04:46 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ARM-Scooby
subaru dealers cant tell a remapped car can they? Dont they need the equipment to do it? when they do a ppp all they do is swop the ecu over for one provided by prodrive, i think they overlook stuff like different exhausts etc.
But i would stay away from a remap with the new shape as there have been a number of engine failures, which if remapped would be picked up during the assessment.
A Remap by a Professional and not a cowboy eliminates all the problems that subaru have with the 2.5 lump in the 08 hatchback. I speak from experience mine has 14k on the clock and yes its remapped, goes like stink and does not have any issues with the engine at all.

The New software on Ecutek has features available to control individual cylinder fueling abit like the apexi ecu has on previous models so can make the dreaded cylinder 3 slightly richer than the rest so there wont be a problem

Last edited by rob84; 01 May 2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02 May 2009, 08:19 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Scooby L what colour is your impreza?
Old 05 May 2009, 08:59 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

NormanTD

Obsidian Black

(Black with an under shade of dark Blue which can be seen in bright sunlight).. not to be confused with "black with Mica blue metalic" (blue metalic flecks) like previous Subarus.