18 in P1 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2001, 09:25 PM
Rich Groves
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Guys can you help!

Have got 18in P1 wheels on now, when they arrived I noticed that the car was pulling left or right under power and sometimes under braking.

1st check of pressures revealed

40 back 38 front

Now I changed this to 35 front 35 back after reading comments on the web site.

The thing got worse!

Spoke to my dealer and he said Prodrive recommended 32 all round. So came home tonight changed all tyres to 32.Now I am all excited get in the car and go for a drive.

Now the car does more pulling than Ricky Martin and is all over the place under power.

Not happy any ideas to why this is happening.

Rich
Old 08 February 2001, 09:33 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Hmm Checked alignment and tracking?
Might be worth having geometry checked too.

Does the same thing happen when 17" are put back on?
Old 08 February 2001, 09:43 PM
Rich Groves
Scooby Regular

Neil,

Never had a problem with 17in wheels and it's difficult to describe how bad the pulling is.

Rich
Old 08 February 2001, 10:02 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

That's what I meant. Has something been done to the car while the 18" were either being put on or on? Going back to what worked(17") is a good way to check. Go back the dealer and get em checked.

Old 08 February 2001, 10:30 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Richard can't put his 17s on because they are on my car. By going to 18s you are going to a lower profile, these are more susceptible to tramlining which is what I think you are describing.
IMHO the best way to sort out handling issues is to forget main dealers, they haven't got the best equipment. Go to Powerstation in Cheltneham, a drive I know, tell them how you want the car to drive and they will do it for you. The bumpsteer mod is a must. My Scoob is becoming quite severely modded, but the most significant one is also the cheapest - the bumpsteer mod.
Also get on a track day like I told you!
Old 08 February 2001, 11:06 PM
Rich Groves
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave,

What I have to do is hold on to wheel very tight or it will just pull me off to side of the road.This at low speeds and under acceleraration it is all over the place. I will take it to the dealer first and see what they can do.If this does not solve the problem they can have the wheels back and I will go back to 17in rims.

Rich
Old 09 February 2001, 12:37 AM
JohnS

Lightbulb

It could be a faulty tyre! Try swapping the front wheels for the back ones, and see if it makes any difference (after adjusting the pressures of course). Cheaper than getting the alignment checked, which should be spot on for a P1 anyway!

Have you checked that all tyres are fitted the correct way around ? P-Zeros are marked on the sidewall showing the correct orientation.
Old 09 February 2001, 07:29 AM
Andrew O'Hara
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've got 18's on mine and I have no problems with the car pulling left or right. Davvers is right about tramlining, because once you go to 225 section or above you will experience this, but I don't think a track day is going to sort your problems, get your geometry checked first then do a track day
Old 09 February 2001, 08:47 AM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Cool

get yourself to Elite (01708) 525577 in London or PowerStation (01242 238400) in Cheltenham. Both have the equipment to check geometry settings.

I have 18" and have no problem.

..R
Old 09 February 2001, 09:05 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rich,

What you are experiencing is tramlining. The wider the tyre the more susceptible it is to picking out the grooves in the road etc. If your geometry is out it will exagerate this. This is the primary reason why I went for 215/35/18's instead of 225. I don't know where abouts in Kent you are but I had my geometry done recently at David Spains in Ramsgate who have all the four wheel laser alignment etc and took great care of the car.

I recently had a lower strut brace fitted which threw all my geometry out making it tramline and pull much worse than usual. It's difficult to apportion how much is down to geometry and how much is down to the wider wheels.

The fact is you will get more tramling on poor roads with the wider/lower profile tyres. The trade off is much better grip in fast motorway sweepers etc. The only way to know if what you are experiencing is geometry or wider tyre related is to have your geometry checked.

Nito
ps. I run 28psi all round, I find it reduces uindersteer, gives a better ride without any negative effects!

[This message has been edited by NITO (edited 09 February 2001).]
Old 09 February 2001, 10:50 AM
Richard Groves
Scooby Regular

Hi Nito,

Have you got the number of David in Ramsgate so I can get this done.

Thanks

Rich
Old 09 February 2001, 11:19 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

You have E-mail!!

Nito