Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newbie viewing a WRX tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2009, 10:03 PM
BigSeal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbie viewing a WRX tomorrow...

Hi All,

I am new to Impreza, moving from a 96 JDM DC2-R...

Going to view a WRX tomorrow, 2004 WRX with ProDrive pack, currently on 69K and part Surbaru History.

What should I be looking for apart from the service history?

Cam belt done roughly at 50K and last service done 7000miles ago.

Any advise welcome...

Regards,

Seal
Old 18 April 2009, 08:10 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a few things I'd look out for:

Check for proof of cambelt change - when I bought my WRX, the receipt for the cambelt came with the car.

The car should have a ProDrive Performance Pack certificate (to ensure authentic PPP)

Perform all usual basic checks including oil, transmission oil, check hoses/connectors, etc

Listen to the engine on idle and somewhere around the 5k rev mark - listen for knocking (search on youtube for subaru engine knock if you don't know what you're really listening out for - severe knocking is bad and should be avoid at all costs) - check for smoke from exhaust etc

Take it for a drive, make sure gearbox is smooth through gears, and ensure car is smooth through acceleration and on boost.

Perform all other usual basic checks.

The car should also have a four digit security code for the security pad - get the owner to show you this.

I'd also perform a HPI check.

Oh, it'll be ready for it's 70k service soon. See the link to get an idea of servicing schedules/costs:

http://www.scoobyclinic.com/download...hedule_new.pdf

Don't let temptation overtake - a badly looked after impreza will cost you in the long run, but a well looked after impreza will bring you losts of fun in the long run. Any hesitation and I'd advise you to walk away.

Hope this helps, all the best and welcome,

Jonny.

Old 18 April 2009, 09:41 AM
BigSeal
Scooby Regular

Kool, thanks for the info Jonny. Just in time as well - about to leave house and travel 3.5hrs to see this. Hope its well worth it...
Old 18 April 2009, 10:17 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Let us know how you get on mate. Hope it works out.
Old 18 April 2009, 10:20 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Hi get the car HPI'd and checked out by an expert may cost around 200 quid for an indepth on but worth its weight in gold.

On a different note have you driven a WRX newage? I only ask as I have a 98 UKDM ITR and have just got rid of MY05 STI PPP. Much prefered the drive of the ITR, ok not as fast but a much better driving machine than the STI. I've just purchased a 99 classic with 22K on it. It feels closer to the Teg in terms of chuckability as its nearly 200kg lighter than the STI. The newage cars are just to heavy IMHO.

Good luck with the purchase.
Old 19 April 2009, 10:58 AM
BigSeal
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

After spending 5 hrs driving to 2 different locations up North (Manchester and Leeds) and then another 4 hrs driving back to London.

When to see 2 04 plate WRX:
1st. Full PPP, even the gear ****? abit high on the mileage, but with full service history. HPI check went through without any problems. Car drives a dream...
2nd. This car was stolen and recovered, this was completely standard apart from the STI rear spoiler. Part service history BUT low low mileage (20000). Because the HPI check did not go through - That was a NO NO for me.

Went back to the 1st car and I am now a new owner of a 04 blobeye WRX...

MarkGT - The DC2R was a fun car to drive although I do missed the VTEC. Due to the age of my old Teg, there were problems after problems. Not saying the new car will not have any but should last me a good few months without spending for repairs...

Driving back was fun - had 3 other scooby flashing me, if anyone here, sorry for ignoring you. Had to get use to the car 1st...
Old 19 April 2009, 10:59 AM
BigSeal
Scooby Regular

ooo... I will post pics as soon as I get a chance to
Old 19 April 2009, 11:45 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Nice one BigSeal, yeah don't forget the scooby wave , oh and your scoobynet sticker! You'll be driving with a big smile for ages.