Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why are impreza fans 3 wire and not 2 ??

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2009, 07:47 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why are impreza fans 3 wire and not 2 ??

ok theres 3 wires to scooby fans and theres 2 fans also, anyone know the reason for this by chance ???
Old 14 April 2009, 07:55 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

maybe dual speed?, my old Golf GTi had the same
Old 14 April 2009, 09:34 PM
.:mike:.
Scooby Regular

Speed sensor?
Old 15 April 2009, 10:26 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

one fan for aircon

1 wire to turn it on (relay) and the two others to feed power
Old 19 April 2009, 12:27 AM
brucep
Scooby Newbie

Default fans with 4 wires

Originally Posted by ReggieMY99
one fan for aircon

1 wire to turn it on (relay) and the two others to feed power
That is not entirly correct.

Subaru calls one of the fans the "main" fan and the other is called "subFan". The ECU sends signals to several relays in order to manipulate and control the fan operation. (one/both/slow/fast....etc) The ECU 'knows' the engine temparture and if the AC-compressor is running. These signals are used to determine fan-settings.

Relays are used so the ECU can control high-current devices (fans) using low-current signals. Also, a fan is an inductive load which could fry the ECU if connected directly to ECU.

The first answer is correct, There are 2 indipendant coils in each motor which allow for 2-speeds. However, in some subies, the 2 coils are wired in parallel which effectivly make it a single-speed fan.

My car used to be wired like that from factory. A half- hour with a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) allowed me to draw up a wiring diagram of my system and re-design it.

I have rewired my car to take the 3 signals from the ECU and run BOTH fans at low speed at initial kick-in temparture. This way, my cooling-system is essentially silent except when max. cooling is needed.

Here in Vermont, I do not expect my fans to EVER need to run at max. speed..... we just dont get the hot weather.

Last edited by brucep; 21 April 2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Some folks felt original append was abrasive - Do not want to offend anyone.
Old 19 April 2009, 12:54 AM
Stevie-Sport
Scooby Regular

brucep, this isnt a competition.

Not everyone might be a smart as you in your speciality, but people try to help where possible.
Old 19 April 2009, 03:57 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Excuse my ignorance, but why would you want your cooling system to be silent?

Seems pointless when my car idles at 92db

Last edited by GavinE; 19 April 2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 19 April 2009, 08:10 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

**** me, wish i was that brainy just so i can tell eveyone i was
Old 19 April 2009, 11:15 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the new subarus do run at a slow speed first then speed up if the extra cooling is needed the only advantage is it reduces the load on the alternator.
Old 19 April 2009, 11:44 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brucep
You dont know much about electronics - do you? I have engineering degree in electronics for over 20 years and work in semiconductor manufacturing plant. (Internal combustion engines is just an engineering hobby of mine.)

Subaru calls one of the fans the "main" fan and the other is called "subFan". The ECU sends signals to several relays in order to manipulate and control the fan operation. (one/both/slow/fast....etc) The ECU 'knows' the engine temparture and if the AC-compressor is running. These signals are used to determine fan-settings.

Relays are used so the ECU can control high-current devices (fans) using low-current signals. Also, a fan is an inductive load which could fry the ECU if connected directly to ECU.

The first answer is correct, There are 2 indipendant coils in each motor which allow for 2-speeds. However, in some subies, the 2 coils are wired in parallel which effectivly make it a single-speed fan.

My car used to be wired like that from factory. A half- hour with a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) allowed me to draw up a wiring diagram of my system and re-design it.

I have rewired my car to take the 3 signals from the ECU and run BOTH fans at low speed at initial kick-in temparture. This way, my cooling-system is essentially silent except when max. cooling is needed.

Here in Vermont, I do not expect my fans to EVER need to run at max. speed..... we just dont get the hot weather.
Isnt that funny i have an electronics degree too and what you are saying here is plain bullsh*t

high and low current, i think you mean high and low voltage here my friend, there is a significant difference, and reading that i doubt you have an electronics degre in anything, i might even say you have no degree at all, perhaps a degree in stupidity perhaps an electronics degree from mars

this is a forum where ppl help each other understand about their subarus and a simple question like the above requires a simple answer, KISS remember.. keep it simple stupid

sub fan ? lets just call it the fan for the aircon which would not be present if the car didnt have aircon, and the fans run only one speed and thats full speed until engine has cooled down and and yes the ecu will signal the relays located in the engine bay fuse box to start the fan when it has reached a certain degree, around 96 degrees celcious on top of my head

Scoobyboy : alternators today have a voltage regulator built in to prevent power surge when fans and other power consuming gadgets turns on

So crawl back under the stone where you came from bruce and dont try to impress anyone here with you non sence bullsh*t

reg
Old 19 April 2009, 01:24 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

reg i didn't say they do it to prevent a power surge it's there to relieve the load on the alternator so it doesn't have to work as much hence why subaru went over to a smart charge system where it only charges if it needs to,

if you have a problem with why they do it that way take it up with subaru!
Old 20 April 2009, 02:16 AM
brucep
Scooby Newbie

My goodness, It seems that I am not the one with some issues here. I was trying to provide a thorough answer to the question. I would think a fellow engineer would want to help in this reguard instead of nitpick about semantics.

You are correct that if we were not talking about an automobile electronic system here, the discussion about relays reguarding voltage might be different but I am trying to keep the facts simple (KISS)

But in this case - the relays are there to actuate HIGH CURRENT devices with a LOW CURRENT signal. (It is all 12 volts here) Semiconductors such as within the ECU would fry if they tried to drive a fan directly. (same with headlights and several other relay-controlled items.)

Also, the "subfan" is the one which is NOT for the AC. You may chose to prove this to yourself by pulling out your "subfan" relay and see which fan quits running.

To answer the question "why I would want my cooling-system to be silent".... I got tired of the subfan running ALL THE TIME even when -20F outside. (Fired ECU which the recall does not cover ) Also the constant load on my alternator was undesirable.
Old 20 April 2009, 02:24 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

I still don't understand? My fan only comes on when the engine/coolant is hot, it doesn't run constantly. Does that mean my fan isn't working properly???
Old 20 April 2009, 07:38 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GavinE
I still don't understand? My fan only comes on when the engine/coolant is hot, it doesn't run constantly. Does that mean my fan isn't working properly???

No its doing exactly what it should do. Dont be taken in by some of the bull above. They normally switch in at around 96c and switch off again at around 91c.
Old 20 April 2009, 10:32 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Wow, sparks flying here..
Old 20 April 2009, 10:47 AM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brucep
You dont know much about electronics - do you? I have engineering degree in electronics for over 20 years and work in semiconductor manufacturing plant. (Internal combustion engines is just an engineering hobby of mine.)

I too have a qualification in Electronic Engineering, even though 'only a HNC'. Not quite as good as your degree, but I can spell INDEPENDANT! It's not nice to come on here with your SECOND post and rant on. I know you are trying to give 'technical advice' but chill out a bit.

Last edited by Proby521; 20 April 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 21 April 2009, 02:39 AM
brucep
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by GavinE
No worries... your fans are WAD (Working As Designed).

You did not read carefully enough... my fan was running all the time because of ECU issue which was recalled for some vehicles. ( http://www.thel7.com/Recalls/WVB-12.pdf ) But my VIN is no on "their list" so I have to suffer with broken ECU. Thus, I took matters into my own hands and rewired my fans.