Sponsored by:

Opinions on new WRX??

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2002, 12:31 PM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

Newbie here...been lurking for a while now...currently in the market for a new car...after several different marques of GTis, am considering a new Impreza WRX.

My key intent is to use the WRX as daily transport, with the odd 2000+ pan-European jaunt and Nurburgring fun. In your opinion is the WRX suited to this purpose?

I must admit I have not spent much time researching the Scooby scene - although this board makes for quite worthwhile reading. However I've heard some great stories about the previous model WRX, although I understand that car to be quite tinny...after a short testdrive in a new WRX, I was quite impressed with the driveability and steering feedback.

Now I'm wondering what you think of the new WRX versus the old WRX? How does the new WRX compare to the new STi? Obviously the STi is going to be better for the difference in price...but is it worth it?

Additionally, what are your views on the 'must have' performance upgrades for the new WRX? Is the standard turbo car chip/exhaust/dumpvalve combo enough to bring significant performance gains?

[Edited by WRX SEE - 2/25/2002 12:52:31 PM]
Old 25 February 2002, 01:01 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

someone needsssssssss to get search working again!
Old 25 February 2002, 01:29 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

New WRX is fantastic, STi even better, for all your needs.

MOD wise for a WRX (the order I've done them anyway):-
Back-box (to get the flat 4 warrble back)
Big rear spoiler (to make the car stand out from other 4 door saloons)
Brakes (to stop a 220hp car you need 220hp brakes)

Personnaly, I like the bug-eyes so would not bother with the Morrettes.

Steve

PS I never owned a 'classic' shape so cannot compare the two.
Old 25 February 2002, 02:49 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've owned both (brand new MY00 and now a lightly modified MY01). I did 42000 (faultless) miles in 18 months in my MY00 (most with a full Scoobysport exhaust system (it also went round Nurburgring )).

I now use my new MY01 in a similar role. It happily copes with a 90 mile round trip commute and is also a lot of fun to drive when the occassion presents itself

In terms of mods:

Backbox (or full system - whatever your preference, the MY01 is a lot better sound proofed, so full decat systems are no where near as intrusive as they were on the old cars). My new car has a full Scoobysport system with ITG panel filter and Forge DV - big difference over a standard car.

Big spoiler - looks miles better - Rallytech, Scoobysport, TSL etc

Headlamps - I was never a fan of the bug eye look, so I've got the Morrette conversion with HID

Eibachs / Prodrive lowered springs - much better looking and vastly improved handling when done with a proper geometry alignment

Other things are a matter of personal taste and the depth of your wallet: Leda suspension, gauges, bigger wheels / brakes etc.

I've enjoyed owning both cars - the MY01 has really grown on me over the last few months, especially now as it sounds like it should and has the same pickup and accleration as my old car. If you are buying a new one, then bear in mind that the engines only really start to loosen up after about 5000 miles.

To be honest you won't be disapointed in either. There really isn't much to compare with either model in terms of price + performance. One word of advice would be to sort out your insurance first and allow in your budget the cost of fitting a tracker and possible a Cat1 alarm/immobiliser if you are not buying a UK car.

Cheers
Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 2/25/2002 2:51:05 PM]
Old 25 February 2002, 02:53 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

I had 2 x old shape UK Turbos.
Now have a bug eye WRX. It's a great car, i love it. Much more refined than previous model, though feels less exciting due to more progressive power delivery, better sound proofing and better ride. It seems to have superior grip in the wet, but I'm no rally driver, but I could get the old one to put the tail out in the wet, and cant do it on the new one. Maybe thats down to the more progressive power delivery. That said, I want the PPP upgrade soon, which will give back the noise we all love and allow me to keep the 3 year warranty.

Get a sliver one, they look good with the bug eye headlights IMHO.
Old 25 February 2002, 03:26 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

There cool - ok???

Jza
Old 25 February 2002, 04:24 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

To add a bit of balance, I'd had 2 turbos, tested the WRX and didn't like it at all. No matter what anyone says, the WRX was not as quick as my turbo was. Interior was better. A day wasn't enough for the handling really, and I didn't think there was much in it. I liked the shove in the back feel from my turbo which the wrx doesn't give. I bought a p1 instead.
Old 25 February 2002, 04:56 PM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - starting to get more and more enthousiastic the more I read. My apologies for not doing a search in the archives - just wanted some quick answers...will do an exhaustive search soon...

FWIW I'm running the car as a company car in Scandinavia...deCAT is not an option here as that is seen as an environmental crime (I kid you not). Backbox and airfilter might be the way to go then.

Personally I dont like the rear spoiler at all and am actually considering removing it completely...
Old 25 February 2002, 05:21 PM
nathan burrell
Scooby Regular

I USE MY MY01 FOR BUSINESS ALSO, I HAD A MY00 AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT THE WRX IS BY FAR A BETTER CAR FOR BUSINESS MILES, WHEN I GET HOME AT NIGHT I DO NOT FEEL DRAINED LIKE I USED TO IN THE MY00. THE WEEKEND DRIVE IS BETTER ALSO, NOT AS MUCH PUNCH AS THE MY00 BUT HANDLING IS CERTAINLY BETTER.

I HAVE ENJOYED IT THAT MUCH THAT I HAVE ORDERED THE STI, IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY PRIVATELY I AM SELLING MINE IN MAY IF NOT BEFORE, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IT IS DARK MICA BLUE, GOLD SUBARU ALLOYS, SPORT SEATS 7000 MILES, CAT 1 ALARM, FDSH. IT IS A EUROPEAN IMPORT, I PAID 18K INCLUDING EXTRAS FOR IT LAST SEPTEMBER SO IT IS ON A NEW PLATE (51). IT IS IMACULATE.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.
REGARDS
NATHAN
Old 25 February 2002, 07:58 PM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments Nathan.

With regards to purchase of your car...as I mentioned I am located in Scandinavia so a RHD car wont do me much good...
Old 25 February 2002, 08:06 PM
scooby555
Scooby Regular

Wink

One word.....

FUGLY
Old 25 February 2002, 09:07 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

I love the comment more refined and quieter until you start hardening the suspension and whacking a full stainless steel decatted exhaust on . Drive both back to back and allow youself a budget for mods . The new shape isnt as raw as the old model it just depends what you are after. Actually seen good styling stuff but I reckon I would have to spend a few quid to get the styling right before I would like the look of the new one including headlamp conversion, lowered suspension, 18's, spoiler, front grill, a fair few quids worth there . Maybe cheaper to buy an Prodrive STI yep it maybe cheaper, now theres a plan .

cheers

chrisp

[Edited by chrisp - 2/25/2002 9:09:54 PM]
Old 25 February 2002, 09:25 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you go for an 01MY+ get the PPP it's well worth the money. As for other mods - well I want to go to bed tonight so I'll stop there

David