Sponsored by:

Speed Trap Detectors: Tool or Toy?

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2002, 07:44 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Seriously, have these saved points for many of you, or are have they been just another toy?
Old 24 February 2002, 08:47 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

I bought a Bel Euro550 and think it's brilliant, definately a 'tool' and it *has* saved my skin a couple of times.

My girlfriend lives in Essex and the amount of mobile speedtraps is just plain silly, it's all those coppers do. The Bel detects them no problem... go get one!

M
Old 24 February 2002, 10:59 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I had eleven points 4 yrs ago when i had a peugeot 405 and decided to get a Bel 745 (sti model!!) and now with a clean licence, i have to say i think its crap at detecting gatso's cos your virtually on them when it decides to bleep but it bleeps that much that ive got used to driving slower now and it keeps your wits about you, im lost when I drive a car without one.
Old 24 February 2002, 11:11 PM
prince
Scooby Newbie

I THINK THIER OK AS IT GOES BUT THE TRUTHS IN THE PUDDING , NEXT TIME MR PLOD POINTS HIS HAIR DRIER AT YOU LETS HOPE SOMETHING BLEEPS?

[Edited by prince - 2/24/2002 11:12:53 PM]
Old 24 February 2002, 11:36 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Buy a cheap one and you might as well go to Toys'r'us for the good it will do you.
I researched this whole matter six months ago and bought a BEL 550. It *works* and I have no complaints, 'enuff said.

(Edited as the word thief had struck. )

[Edited by Miles - 2/24/2002 11:37:08 PM]
Old 25 February 2002, 11:24 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I've got a fantastic speed trap detector. I've had it ages and it has never ever let me down (got a clean licence etc.). It's very very cheap too.

It's called MY EYES.

Coupled with driving fast in the appropriate places and not driving fast in bad/inappropriate places (which is where most, granted not all, but where most speed detectors are). Gatso's are easy as there are gatso signs so I'm always ready for them.
Old 25 February 2002, 11:41 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I feel my detector has saved me...

I think saying that your eyes are good enough is a very narrow minded way of thinking...

I got done twice without even seeing the Policeman stood behind a bush until it was too late... both different areas etc.. and before I bought a detector.

You are just luck if you speed and think your eyes will see all..
but also a detector doesn't mean you won't get done either.

Bel 990i gives plenty of notice for cameras and a big reminder to check my speed.
Old 25 February 2002, 11:42 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Dracoro,

I know what you mean, but be careful. I used to think exactly like you and I've now got 5 points thanks to a very cleverly disguised unmarked police car.

Be careful out there - it's the one (and only) area where the police force are becoming more effective!

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 25 February 2002, 11:58 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

quote 'but be careful' - That's what I try to do.!
quote 'just luck if you speed and think your eyes will see all' - I tend not to speed that much (well, motorways are an exception but most people happily drive at 80/90mph), and when I do on normal roads, it tends to be by a small amount so if I do get caught (I admit this can happen, and the eyes/observation thingy isn't perfect!) it's likely to be a small fine, 3 points etc - hope it never happens of course!.

I'll happily concede that detectors could be a useful tool but I dipute the benefit on a cost basis (the unit's usually cost more than you'd ever get in fines) and I think it would also give a false sense of security (depends on the driver of course).

I think most drivers will get done from time to time over their driving career (there are more and more cunning ways to catch drivers these days), but for those that buy a detector because they've got 9 points and need to keep their licence need to look at their driving more IMHO.

BTW, if a plod pulls you over and you've got a detector on display (you may not have time to hide it), I think he may be a lot less likely to say 'be more careful and on yer way mate'. He'll see it and think 'oh, he speeds a lot, got him this time though'. IMO of course.

Happy driving, quickly where appropriate and careful, big brother is out there.