Worth buying? Opinions please....

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2001, 11:49 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

<B>SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO AWD,</B>
1997, P reg. gleaming Red, 1 former keeper, 100,000 miles with FSSH, remote c/l alarm, HPi clear, Speedline alloys, Recaro sports interior, MOT, stunning example, p/x poss, warranty & finance available. £7,995.

The mileage worries me a bit!!!!!
Old 04 February 2001, 12:22 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chins:
<B>How about another angle. If the car is a company car then to have it on the list 3 years ago the guy was a fan.

Why assume the guy would thrash it. Just because its a company car does not mean its not his prode and joy.[/quote]

Possibly but from the other perspective, I know someone who has a similar age Impreza Turbo company car who thrashes it from cold and switches it off the moment he's got where he's going regardless of how hard he has been driving it. He's on his second engine which also needs replacing (Big end on the way out) and has had about 3-4 sets of disks!!!!!

Would you buy that outwardly good looking for it's age car?

Matt.
Old 04 February 2001, 12:29 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Buddy

I saw you yesterday dinner down Burnley but couldnt get over to chat as I was with a few workmates that I havent seen for a while. Birthday shopping were you????

I went to have a look at a 306 Rallye but to be honest I hated the interior. You have guessed it though, Oulton realy did make the decision for me - only problem now is finding a decent Scooby for £8-9k. I have a month or 2 to buy one though as I am working "Darn Sarth" for a month, so not pushing.

Are you up for a few forthcoming events over the coming months?

Simon

Old 04 February 2001, 12:36 AM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

I'll sell you mine for this price (but without the number plate ) My car is Pete Connolly's old car, so its been well looked after.
Back on topic:

My new one has 136K Km on the clock, but now on its second engine, but drives brilliantly and i love it.

At £8k, if you spent another £2Kish on a good second engine, it would be more of a bargain than one for £10K With say 60-70K on the clock.(IMHO)
What do you think?

Phil.
Old 04 February 2001, 12:45 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Personally, I would consider it but go over the service history with a fine tooth comb.

Are they offering a warranty with the car ?

Bear in mind, that if you are going to uprate the brakes, you may need to change the wheels.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 04 February 2001, 08:20 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

How about another angle. If the car is a company car then to have it on the list 3 years ago the guy was a fan.

Why assume the guy would thrash it. Just because its a company car does not mean its not his prode and joy. For someone that doesnt care about cars why the Speedlines and Recaros ?. Chances are the car has done lots of motorway miles and been maintained regardless of cost (company paying). You cant answer the thrashed question, but then private cars are not thrashed !!.
There will be a lot of lower milage private cars in worse condition.

Jonathan
Old 04 February 2001, 08:23 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Scooby paranoia time again....now what did J D Power say.....??
Old 04 February 2001, 09:09 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Dream Weaver, obvious answer really, but why not phone up and ask, the garage may be able to give you a phone number for the previous owner, the last owner would probably tell you stuff which they would not have told the garage.
Old 04 February 2001, 09:13 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I wouldn't touch it with yours.

let alone mine....

not even 4 years old and 100K on it

Richard
Old 04 February 2001, 09:20 AM
Luke
BANNED

Could be great... My legacy 4.cam turbo estate has 118K on its clock. 1. Previous owner who loved it . I take great care. new clutch and fly whell (Subaru). oil every 4k
And this car feels great. I see new cars that going to be for sale in a few years time with 15k Will they be good ???????
They only do short trips Rev the engine up to 3k for 5 min on cold mornings to try and get the ice off. Driving up and down pavements etc. Iknow what I always do. On a test drive demand to see car "cold" and let the owner drive. You sit back and listen ?watch . Does not matter how the car looks This is how he/she has driven it This should be a important factor.
Good luck it could be a bargain

Luke
Old 04 February 2001, 09:22 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

At that price I would definately consider it. Ok 100k is a lot of miles, but then again to rack up that sort of mileage it's probably spent a lifetime on the motorway which isn't particularly stressful to the car. I agree with Chins...it's definately worth a look at. Also at that sort of price, an engine rebuild with steel internals wouldn't cost more than 3k ish so if you were thinking about modding it chances are you'd bin the original turbo etc. Or alternatively there would be plenty on here happy to sell their turbochargers who have upgraded!

Just my 2p worth!

Nito
Old 04 February 2001, 09:24 AM
buddy
Scooby Regular

Hows it going,
A good price but hence the mileage,you dont want the engine going pop after youve shelled out 8 grand. You should be able to get a decent low mileage for 10 grand 95 N reg or summat.Why not try a Nissan Sunny GTI R, youll get a cracker for 8 grand, but if you really want a scoob i would go the extra 2K.
Anyhow thought you wanted a 306 rallye, that dono track day must have really gave you the bug...?
I take my car to stamford garage in manchester for servicing to a guy called peter connoly.Hes really good and usally has some good clean cars for sale.Give him a try at
Old 04 February 2001, 12:32 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sheesh, thats some mileage! It would put me off, it's probably been a company car, thrashed from cold, switched off before the turbo has cooled etc. It's gonna start needing larger items replaced soon if they haven't been already such as turbo, gearbox maybe? And what about in a couple of years time, when you're trying to sell it with 120 - 130k on the clock?

Cheap, though!
Old 04 February 2001, 12:39 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Leigh
its gotta be a company car to have that sorta milage on it
Steer well clear IMHO

Niall
Old 04 February 2001, 01:12 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Matt

You could go round in circles on this. Using your logic anyone that thrashes the car will go through an engine every 40k or so. Therefore any car with 35k plus needs avoiding incase it was thrashed and in need of a new engine soon. You have no real way of knowing how a car is treated. Private owners of THIS type of car are as bad IMHO as company owners.

Another point to consider is that most company cars will not as you put it been thrashed on track days as insurance wont allow it.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Chins (edited 04 February 2001).]
Old 04 February 2001, 01:17 PM
buddy
Scooby Regular

DW,
Nothing planned as yet,too much time working at the mo but will get some time off soon.
If you any events planned ?mail me jaygled@aol.com
Probably do croft on the 2nd march, not been there before