Sponsored by:

turbo cooling - when at petrol station

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2009, 10:10 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo cooling - when at petrol station

was wondering if i need to let the turbo cool down before switching ignition off to fill petrol
Old 06 February 2009, 10:18 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this a wind-up?

No offense if it isn't...just wondering. Lol
Old 06 February 2009, 10:21 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

hello mate

you only will need to let it cool down if you have been giving it some before you need to fill up,i always drive off boost for at least 2 miles before going home that way the turbo has time to cool down sufficently before you switch off,otherwise yes you will need to let it tickover for 1-2 mins before you fill up.

hope that helps

Nick
Old 06 February 2009, 10:38 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

yeah i normally drive off boost and also leave it for a min on timer when i switch off - when i reach home / work / destination....
but if i need to switch off for 5 mins, i wasnt sure if i have to let it cool down...

i havent dont it yet as i always fill up in the morning, before the cars warm, bt it just came into my mind if i have to ....
Old 06 February 2009, 10:41 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Nah, as classic scooby says, just drive off boost for a few mins before you arrive at the garage.

Edited to say - turbo timers are a waste of time. Totally unnecessary if you just take it easy for a few miles on the way home. Think about the cooling the whole engine bay will be getting from driving as opposed to sitting on your drive ticking over. Obviously we're talking about the turbo here, but seriously, throw the turbo timer to f*ck.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 06 February 2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06 February 2009, 10:56 PM
reeperb5
Scooby Regular

i had a turbo timer on my old R32 and imo it was just a lazy way to cool down the tubby..

but it was still "cool" when parking in a public place and people saying "you not gonna turn that off"..lol
Old 06 February 2009, 10:57 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
Nah, as classic scooby says, just drive off boost for a few mins before you arrive at the garage.

Edited to say - turbo timers are a waste of time. Totally unnecessary if you just take it easy for a few miles on the way home. Think about the cooling the whole engine bay will be getting from driving as opposed to sitting on your drive ticking over. Obviously we're talking about the turbo here, but seriously, throw the turbo timer to f*ck.
it came with the car.. and i like it... i use it more to warm up the car rather than cool down hahah/....
switch it on in the morning, lock the car and get ready etc... by the time am ready, car,s warm

Its in a locked driveway before anyone picks on this...
Old 06 February 2009, 11:02 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Underworld
it came with the car.. and i like it... i use it more to warm up the car rather than cool down hahah/....
switch it on in the morning, lock the car and get ready etc... by the time am ready, car,s warm

Its in a locked driveway before anyone picks on this...
I did the same when I first got my car with regards to the warming up. Again pretty pointless when you actually think about it. Water will be up to temp, but not the oil - which is the whole point of warming up anyway...and certainly not the fluids in the gearbox and diffs, since you're not going anywhere.

Better just driving away after you start it: again, off boost till oil is up to temp. But it's up to you, it's your car.
Old 06 February 2009, 11:07 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i drive off boost if i know ill be turning it off soon ,if i need a petrol station i never drive on boost if i have a quarter of a tank or under
as for warming car theres no faster way than just to drive it as soon as you start it i just drive under 3000 revs
Old 06 February 2009, 11:16 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
I did the same when I first got my car with regards to the warming up. Again pretty pointless when you actually think about it. Water will be up to temp, but not the oil - which is the whole point of warming up anyway...and certainly not the fluids in the gearbox and diffs, since you're not going anywhere.

Better just driving away after you start it: again, off boost till oil is up to temp. But it's up to you, it's your car.
for the heating dumbo
Old 06 February 2009, 11:19 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Sorry, was forgetting about the soft southerners. :P