Sponsored by:

Hi, bye, Cheam great, Privilege good eventually

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2001, 11:01 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Hi all. Just to say that I’ve sold my Terzo (sob) and fled the country. I’ve been in Portugal for two weeks and will be there for some time to come, but have returned to the UK for a few days to load up the second suitcase. I couldn’t post before as I have no internet facility there. Just have to share the following with you.

Before sale, it was repaired by Cheam Motors, using a bodywork company in Dorking. To my untrained eye it was flawless, and I paid the excess and drove it away. They deal with the insurance claim. Extremely impressed with the service overall. I asked them to value it for their purchase, which they did, and I then sold it to them for that amount before leaving (I was in a rush, no time for private sale). One other company in Surrey (guess which) didn’t want to buy, but offered me to use their forecourt to sell it, for a fee. One more vote for Cheam on this BBS.

At the same time I posted my Certificate of Insurance back to Privilege with a letter saying please cancel and refund the 10 months’ balance onto my card. Returning today, I found that it wasn’t yet cancelled, as the claim is still outstanding, but I wasn’t allowed the balance as I’ve claimed. Fair enough. But while on the phone (45 minute wait for Customer Services) I suddenly realised I’m not insured to drive my friend’s car which I’m borrowing, and my policy has third party cover on it for any car. So I explained this and asked not to go ahead with the cancellation. The short version of the conversation went as follows:

“Can’t do that” said the assistant. “You’ve nothing to insure.”
“Where does it say that in your policy? And yes I have, I’ve got my friend’s car.”
“But that would be illegal. Someone else wants to insure it, and it would be double insurance.”
“You have a clause saying you only pay proportionate if someone else is also insured. How is that illegal?”
“But you’ve already claimed, and we’ve paid out on it.”
“Yes, but if I hadn’t sold the car, you wouldn’t cancel the policy after the claim, it would be valid for the rest of the year. What does that have to do with it?”
“Let me talk to the underwriters.”
10 mins of hold music…

“No, the underwriters say your insurance isn’t valid after you’ve sold the car. You’ve nothing to insure.”
“But where does it say that in the contract? It says, General Conditions 1g, that we will provide the cover if… you tell us if any vehicle which is insured in your name belongs to anyone else. So I’m telling you now, so why can’t you cover me?”
“Let me put you through to a supervisor.”

15 mins of hold music. During which time I remember what I read in the Times law reports yesterday; Court of Appeal judgement that insurance is valid after car is sold, depending on policy wording not saying otherwise. The case is Dodson v. Dodson, for any lawyers or insurance agents.
“Hello, we need to talk to the underwriters more, can I have a number to call you back?”
“Yes, and would you please tell them to read yesterday’s Times, as there was a case like this in there? And if they haven’t read it, I suggest you get new underwriters?” Sorry, I was a little peeved.
She rang me back an hour later. “Yes there’s no problem, your cover doesn’t cease just because you sold the car and so it is valid for the rest of the year.”

I was at all times civil to the poor girl, as the underwriters do not allow direct contact with the unwashed public apparently, but I quote from the Python parrot sketch; If you want to get anything done in this country, you’ve got to complain till you’re blue in the face.

Hey, that’s an appropriate quote. “It is an ex-Terzo… it has ceased to be…”

I’ll read this for a few days while here, then lurk occasionally when I get my Internet connection. Meanwhile, the best to all of you… and take it easy on those Clang’n’*****…

BJH
Old 26 January 2001, 09:48 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is also with Cheam's recommended bodyshop so reading this post has given me loads of confidence I'm also with privilege. I know their background musac off by heart now (45 minutes, that was quick 8o)
But, in the end they sorted things out, waivered my excess (since the accident was so obviously not my fault) and apart from a small hic-cup in the engineers dept. they have dealt with my claim well if a little slow.

Andy Tang. Who are you insured with, since I believe your car is with Cheam as well? How quick did you resolve your claim?
Old 26 January 2001, 09:55 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice post - good luck Brendon

David - have no worries, the bodyshop that Cheam use is fantastic. MY UK Turbo was repaired there after my passenger side door was caved in. The repair and paint job were faultless. Very highly recommended. And yes your right, Andy's car is at Cheam (saw it a couple of days ago - doesn't look too bad, still had a dent in the front wing though).

Chris
Old 26 January 2001, 09:23 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Chris,

It doesn't look too bad, until you have to drive it!!! Had anything been done to the love of my life???

After the new door skin, wing, and the bumper & bonnet sprayed, it will be fine!!!

Car should be ready a week next wednesday!!!

Along with an STI6 front splitter!!!

Andy
Old 27 January 2001, 09:23 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know Andy But it looked OK! I think the car was due to go to the body shop (I saw the car on Wednesday), so hopefully your pride and joy should be back on the road ASAP.

Cheers

Chris
Old 27 January 2001, 07:35 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidLewis:
<B>Andy Tang. Who are you insured with, since I believe your car is with Cheam as well? How quick did you resolve your claim?[/quote]

Hi Dave,

Sorry I missed your bit of the post!!!

I'm with Greenlight, and it took a week to get them to approve the repair. It took a four/five phone calls (and a fax), and a few different numbers, but all sorted in a week!

Engineer who inspected the car, wouldn't ok the scratchs on bonnet, until the guys at Cheam Motors showed them my piccies on the BBS!! He ok'd it on the spot!!

I saw your car in the corner, I hope it was nothing major!

I should get my car back for 7th Feb-ish!!

Cheers
Andy
Old 28 January 2001, 09:19 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Andy,
Thankfully nothing major at all, just caved in drivers door and sill with scrapes all down the side. Taken an age for privilege to sort things out, accident happened before new year :eek Guy who hit me was back on the road the very next day but thats mercedes build quality for you!
Cant wait to get her back. hopefully next weekend
Old 28 January 2001, 01:30 PM
Bernmc3
Scooby Newbie

Question

If you don't mind me asking... what did you get for the Terzo? I only ask because someone want's to part/ex one against my P1.
Old 28 January 2001, 05:48 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Cheam won't thank me if the potential buyer is reading this, but 12k, with 27.5k on the clock and no mods.

After I bought it for 22.5k in Oct 99. 12.5k depreciation in 15 months is... no, I don't even want to think about it.

The problems of the rich, eh?

BJH
Old 01 February 2001, 01:46 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

I'm now getting the hump over the time taken to repair my car.

The sill, it seems, was a difficult repair job. They didn't want to cut the sill out so have 'repaired' the damage. That has taken 9 woking days to do. Since that has taken so long, the more simple stuff, drivers door, rear passenger door (just scrapes) and rear bumper are going to take another 6 working days as I've just been told that my car will not be ready this weekend as expected, but delayed by another week!!! Within the same time frame, Andy's car would have been in and out again!! This is going to be quite some handy work, considering the time taken to do it.

While this particular dealer is not responsible for all the delays I've had (the insurance co. shared some of the blame)it isn't helping the situation now.

Old 01 February 2001, 01:52 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about the grief you're having Dave!!

Old 01 February 2001, 07:46 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Oh Happy days........ NOT!!!!

Cheam got back to me this evening to explain the reasons for the delay. As it happens the bodyshop completed all the required work and started re-fitting the bits and bobs. When re-fitting the drivers door, they found it would match up properly. It turns out that the force of the impact to the drivers door has put the 'A' pillar out of shape and the car has to go on the jig. Problem is, another car is already on the jig and wont be finished 'til the end of the week (probably the tango mobile ) hence the delay.
In all fairness, this is not Cheams fault. Its just right now, I'd shoot anyone, including the messenger.

I thought waiting for delivery in 98 was bad, but this is driving me insane.
Old 01 February 2001, 07:57 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

David,
I had a shunt in my RB5 in october 99, I hit a kerb and wrecked the suspension on the front near side, broken rack, new speedline, broken brake disc,hub and the car had to be jigged. Sorting the insurance claim was the quick bit, IM seemed to have great difficulty getting some of the parts particularly the ABS sensor it took nearly 4 months to get her back!! I had a loan car: 3 cylinder 1.0l corsa.
I have EVERY sympathy for ya!!
Andy W
Old 01 February 2001, 10:38 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry Dave, it probably is!!!

It should only be there until Monday the latest!! Cheam still have a bit more work to do!!

Cheers
Andy

Old 02 February 2001, 12:33 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Chris.
Yeah, you're right mate, I wouldn't want it bodged. Just that I wasn't at the front of the queue when God gave out patience.
Old 02 February 2001, 12:48 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 02 February 2001, 09:02 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

David - look at it from the positive point of view. I know it's a pain in ar$e to have your car off the road, but be thankfull that Cheam use a bodyshop that takes a lot of pride and care in the quality of its work and didn't just try to bodge it and hope you wouldn't notice or complain. I think the wait will be worth it.

Cheers
Chris