Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

22B - Show, Go...But no Slow ?? Discuss...

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2001, 02:18 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

So...How on earth do Subaru justify selling the 22B with the standard STi 4 pot brakes?

Having spent most of my time in a 22B with Harj driving, straining against the seatbelt as the uprated discs were clamped by carbon-metallic pads in the monster callipers - I was left wondering how different the experience would have been with the standard stoppers.

I've uprated the brakes in my MY99 to x-drilled & grooved discs and mintex 1155 pads all round, but even on the road I don't trust them.

Harj - Cheers mate, I'll thankyou again for giving myself & Karen a day to remember. (Ugly as I was... ). I'm keen on getting back onto the track driving again and thanks to you I may get to upgrade to decent brakes!

Old 29 January 2001, 02:30 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hehe Squiz you ugly mugger LOL

Squiz if youve tried the standard old 2 Pot brakes you would know what the difference between the 4 Pots so Subaru didn't do a too bad a job on the 4's but could have made them a little better in the biting area.

The AP's on the 22B are simply awesome and I was only bedding them in on track very easy to lockup no with AP's as the 22B doesn't have ABS so it makes you feel every little bit in the road when braking

Squizz can you remember how many cars passed us???? LOL

[This message has been edited by harj (edited 29 January 2001).]
Old 29 January 2001, 05:16 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well, there was that "Ar5ecort Cosruff"...

But we had given them a decent scare at Lodge, and our tyres were going-off, and we were on a warm-down, and you were drinking Lucozade, and we were checking out the footy scores on 5-Live, and I was showing you that latest edition of Razzle, and...

What about that older WRX? Oh I remember, he was liable to make it a two car incident, rather than just himself...Best let him play in the sand on his own, eh?

Cheers,
Squizz.
Old 29 January 2001, 09:16 PM
Geoff P
Scooby Regular

I'd be very interested to learn the effect of AP's on a 22B, I bet it makes the car a handfull under hard braking. Do you get more feel through the brakes and are you able to hold the car on the edge of lock-up better than the std 4 pots. I may consider them as an upgrade.
Geoff
Old 31 January 2001, 09:40 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Top - FAO Harj...
Old 31 January 2001, 09:53 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Geoff the 22B brakes so well with AP's its hard to describe, the car doesn't feel too unbalanced when braking hard unless the surface is wet which will make any car skittish under braking hard.

In the dry it was braking so much later than most others on the track which gave me such a big advantage over them, the only thing you have to get use to is the noise from the Grooves but when the engine and exhaust are whisteling out loud the Groove sound is like a cello added to an orchestra.

I had some locking up but this was more deliberate and they are easy to lockup due to no ABS on the 22B, call the lads at GGR and ask for Wayne as he can do you a great deal on the Kit. The Bells also come in the same Gold that match the colour of the 22B wheel which also makes them visually perfect, Donington will be another test for the brakes but I can't think of anything better than these awesome kits.

Harj...
Old 31 January 2001, 10:10 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy! Now that the Prodrive kit is supplied with DS2000's I can't think of anything better than these! Particularly as all the reports from people whose opinion I value consider the Alcons on track as the best set up they've tried.... ( I should say here that I am talking about those who have actually used AP and Alcon setups in similar cars - and Harj's kit is fairly new and unique in the scoob community I understand)
Geoff, with a 22B UK I think you will find when it comes time to sell that the Prodrive Alcons make your car more attractive to potential buyers also.
They should cost you under £1500 fitted.
Basically just buy the 'label' you like more, as braking performance of all these kits is outstanding, I'm considering racing harness' now for the trips to the shops the brakes are that good!
They are very easy to lock up if you are want, but the feel is so good that you will find it difficult to lock up unintentionally.
Apparently it is the better 'feel' from the Alcon setup that makes them stand out from the competition.
Chuck

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 31 January 2001).]
Old 31 January 2001, 07:49 PM
shooter
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Ok then chaps anyone wanting this same deal has Harj on the AP kit then I can hold it at this price until next Friday.After this point im afaid its back to the old price of £1275 +vat.Have many kits available off the shelf.Cheers Wayne @ GGR