Need some help - looking to buy a classic

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2008, 03:11 PM
CarboCover
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help - looking to buy a classic

Firstly hello, this is my first post!

Im thinking of buying a classic shape saloon impreza however need to build my knowledge a little first to decide if is the right choice for me.

I have been into VW/Audi's over the last few years and have hd several cars with ~200BHP (ut are only FWD)

Im looking to buy a classis as i personally think its the best shape but would like some help to understand the models/tune/BHP etc before i decide what to buy.

So i know i want a turbo car but do i go for a UK spec or a JDM spec car? What are the differences in power and how tuneable is a UK car (i would be hoping to get 280-300 BHP)

Is there a big difference in insurance for a JDM vs. UK car - im 24 with 4yrs NCD and would like the anual premium to be less than £1000

I have around £4000 to spend - would this be sufficien to buy a nice clean example of aclassic shape with a good spec?

Thanks

Tim
Old 22 December 2008, 03:41 PM
eggy
Scooby Regular

i have the 97 sti ra, its probably one of the best classics as it comes standard with (275 bhp) ,,
diff control (ajustable)
roof vent
better cams(more aggresive)
close ratio gearbox
also lighter than the others which makes for a very rapid car...

hope this helps
Old 22 December 2008, 03:58 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Hi m8, & welcome to SN, buy a Jap Perfomance mag , there is a buying guide this month. A standart sti & a stage 1 or 2 i don;t rememver, but it's a grate thread there, give u all the tips u need to know. Good luck.
Old 22 December 2008, 03:59 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subaru Impreza WRX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Subaru Impreza WRX STI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Scoobypedia / Scoobypedia

Roojai Subaru Impreza

Just a little reading material for you
Old 22 December 2008, 04:11 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Welcome!
£4000 will give you a lot of choice. You need to decide what you need the car to do. If you spend a lot of time on motorways, then the shorter geared RA's, type R's ect will be a pain (my RA is pulling 5000rpm at 80!).
But, if it's a toy the shorter box is wicked!
I personally wouldn't buy a UK 2000 again, had one before the RA, and it's slow (212bhp) with lesser spec(interior, brakes etc). But you need to use super unleaded untill you get the ecu sorted to prevent fueling related problems( i'd use v power anyway either way)
The market is really in your favor at the mo, so make sure you have a good look before buying. I went for the cleanest, low milage standard car i could find, giving a good base for tuning. 300bhp is quite easy to obtain, but you won't stop there, trust me!

Mit

Good luck!
Old 22 December 2008, 04:17 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by mit
Welcome!
£4000 will give you a lot of choice. You need to decide what you need the car to do. If you spend a lot of time on motorways, then the shorter geared RA's, type R's ect will be a pain (my RA is pulling 5000rpm at 80!).
But, if it's a toy the shorter box is wicked!
I personally wouldn't buy a UK 2000 again, had one before the RA, and it's slow (212bhp) with lesser spec(interior, brakes etc). But you need to use super unleaded untill you get the ecu sorted to prevent fueling related problems( i'd use v power anyway either way)
The market is really in your favor at the mo, so make sure you have a good look before buying. I went for the cleanest, low milage standard car i could find, giving a good base for tuning. 300bhp is quite easy to obtain, but you won't stop there, trust me!
Mit
Slow and lesser spec? What a lot of crapola!
My uk turbo my00 just sold: 325 bhp, rebuilt api engine, bigger turbo, lightened fly, ported heads, full decat ss, droplinks, uprated suspension, P1 spoilers and P1 wheels. Utterly reliable and very capable and went for £4k and only £500 insurance all mods declared.
Old 22 December 2008, 04:23 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=scoobynutta555;8367360]Mit
My uk turbo my00 just sold: 325 bhp, rebuilt api engine, bigger turbo, lightened fly, ported heads, full decat ss, droplinks, uprated suspension, P1 spoilers and P1 wheels. Utterly reliable and very capable and went for £4k and only £500 insurance all mods declared.

hmm didnt realise they came out of the factory with a API engine
so would kind of agree the jdm spec's are better i would go for sti but around 97 onwards as easier the map etc 300 is easily achieveable as jdm are 260 as standard
Old 22 December 2008, 04:25 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by war1974

hmm didnt realise they came out of the factory with a API engine
And who said they did?
Old 22 December 2008, 04:25 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

But you put that on the car (i guess) if you compare standard UK to JDM i do think the JDM has it as you get a lot more choice (wrx,sti,ra,type R etc) as standard.
Old 22 December 2008, 04:26 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

I was replying to someone who was on about remapping a car and using it as a base for tuning. What's the difference.
Old 22 December 2008, 04:27 PM
G-string
Scooby Regular

£4000 will buy a very nice classic mate, its entirely up to you what you want the car for, as said above. If its to be a track toy or used for long motorway trips. Ive had 5 classics 2 uk turbos and 3 wrx imports. They were all very different due to what was already done to them. If you want the fastest car then in standard form an sti/ RA/ typeR would be what you want. UK cars are slower standard but there are plenty out there modified, look at and drive as many different models as you can mate, thats the only way to know yourself. There are also different special editions, RB5, Catalunya, Series Mcrae etc. As for insurance check the insurance section out here, there are some good threads in there giving advice on different companies who are cheapest etc. Good luck mate and keep us up to date on what you get.
Old 22 December 2008, 04:37 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I was replying to someone who was on about remapping a car and using it as a base for tuning. What's the difference.
For 4k he would have a better starting point with a JDM version imo (unless he could buy 1 that is a modified as yours).
He could buy a 97 STI (rated at 280ps to start with and he mentioned that as a target)) which has the better internals, trick diffs,better suspension so that would make a better staring point imo.
Old 22 December 2008, 05:03 PM
Tim20
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the helpful replies!

Think i might have to go for a spin in a JDM Sti and see what it feels like to drive.

Are there any common issues to look out for when buying/viewing? and can anyone recomend specific companies that deal in imports

I have heard of Keigthly but have heard negative things about some of their cars

Tim
Old 22 December 2008, 05:10 PM
G-string
Scooby Regular

Have a good look on Autotrader, Ebay and on here mate. You will see what price roughly things are going for. If its a fresh import ask to see paperwork from japan, auction sheets to check what grade it is, the service books will be in japanese but still will be a good indication on the condition of the car. Also check the model codes to make sure its an STI (they are easily faked).
Old 22 December 2008, 05:59 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Mit
I think you've taken what i said wrongly, i was on about sorting the ecu for fueling, which can just be a £100 chip from Scott T at Polar performance. Not a car with thousands spent on mods. Any car with that sort of money spent will be quick.
And for the record, an RA, sti or Type R with the same spec as yours will be quicker, with the weight and box ratios. My RA has the same power as your old motor, but has a lower weight(100kg less), 4.7 standard 0-60 with 260bhp, so who knows what now with 330bhp?
Sti's/Type R's also have forged internals as standard, so a better base to build on(to a limit) if you don't want to spend £3000+ on a rebuild.
Chances are, he won't need to with 280 standard.
By all means, you can buy a modded car, as the money's all ready spent, but get it checked out, people usually mod thier car as they like to give it some stick, which is fine if it's well looked after.
My RA has a really clean underside, as it hasn't put up with UK roads for the first 12 years of it's life.

Mit
Old 22 December 2008, 07:46 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

my last one was pre modded but i didnt really know what had been done which i personally dont like so my sti wagon is standard........for now

but a sti is a piece of p to get to 300bhp de-cat and filter should just about do it
Old 22 December 2008, 07:50 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=scoobynutta555;8367377]And who said they did?

well by stating mit was talking crapola with his uk 2000's are 212bhp then comparing it to your 325bhp is not really like a uk 2000 vs a jdm is it
212bhp against 260bhp is a big difference folding mirrors etc plus the added bonus of not having been near salt roads is also an advantage imo
Old 22 December 2008, 07:56 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

No, I've not misunderstood you at all A uk classic would have 208 (early ones) to 215 the later ones. But how many are left standard! I'm simply saying what is obvious, £4k buys more than just 'slow and a lesser spec' UK turbo. Your car may indeed be faster than my old one as it is a little lighter (closer ratios don't make much of a difference in the real world). The OP hasn't said what he wants from his car. As an all round car you won't beat a properly modded UK classic (even a standard one), especially if it's a day to day car (average over 300 to a tank).

I'm not selling any cars and I don't own an Impreza at the moment, so I'm not biased in any way. Indeed I've owned 2 importys one of which was a typeR.

The guy who's just bought my car is using it for track use only, so can't be too bad!
Old 22 December 2008, 07:59 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by war1974

well by stating mit was talking crapola with his uk 2000's are 212bhp then comparing it to your 325bhp is not really like a uk 2000 vs a jdm is it
212bhp against 260bhp is a big difference folding mirrors etc plus the added bonus of not having been near salt roads is also an advantage imo
Can't comment on this as you've posted absolute gibberish
Old 22 December 2008, 10:07 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

Can't comment on this as you've posted absolute gibberish
hmmm ok then your the one who came on all buy a uk they are as good as a jdm

sorry but i doubt many out there will agree with the statement maybe you should re-read your own salvo 1st

if the op dont know about scoobys then why would you say a uk 2000 is as good as a jdm? 212bhp vs 260bhp dont compare does it??

and the chances of finding a car with a api engine etc is unlikely so give proper advice to the fella
Old 22 December 2008, 10:14 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Judging by your posting 'style' you're the one who may have difficulties reading. Please read my posts properly.

There are loads of good spec'd UK turbos out there for £4k. I have never said 'out of the box' a UK car is a better car than an import. In any case we still don't know what the OP wants from the Impreza he's thinking of buying.

Look at the list of Imprezas I've owned under my name, I have been on both sides of the fence.
Old 22 December 2008, 10:54 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

me too will agree to disagree as dont want to fall out i personally prefer imports to uk and for 4k he should go sti classic and still get a decent one 97>