Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket HID Kits and their legality.

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2008, 05:43 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket HID Kits and their legality.

This may be of interest to some of you.

Xenon HID conversion kits - a cheap, easy and safe headlight upgrade? | Power Bulbs

While I do not agree fully with everything that Auto Express had to say in the video, my experience of HIDs is such that while the dipped beam on some kits is very good I am yet to find one where the full beam does not suffer from scatter and makes it less effective for long range high speed cross country driving.
I will stick to my General Electric H4 plus 60%.
Old 29 November 2008, 05:46 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your face BOB'5
Old 29 November 2008, 06:37 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Never any question of them ever being legal IMO

Department for Transport - Aftermarket HID (Xenon) headlamps

hopefully all the chumps on the road who end up blinding people due to cheap and nasty kits will be pulled over and put in prison (never going to happen, but we can hope lol)

Last edited by StickyMicky; 29 November 2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 29 November 2008, 06:56 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Customers feedback says it all really:

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...id-kit-gb.html

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
I've a set of bob's HID's on my Classic and they are simply awesome. Dipped is at a comfortable level to see much more than the halogen bulbs but not to much to dassel other road users. I've never been flashed for using them.

Turn on High Beam and the whole road for some distance is lit which is what you need.
Originally Posted by bulletproofbob
the new kit and light produced is spot on!!! well happy, all the crap i read about HID's been no use on older scoob's is disproved!!!!
Originally Posted by exvaux
fitted mine yesterday,idiot proof doesnt even come close to describing how easy they were to fit,the ballasts are tiny,fitted easily and probably the best mod ive done to my car,i work early mornings,just realised how poor the standard lights are....now i need to do somethin about the p**s poor sidelights tho lol

Originally Posted by SupersonicRA-R
Thanks BOB...I fitted the kit on my classic and can not believe how much better these are..amazing..!

Originally Posted by andy97
Just fitted the slim hids to my bike, see part way through the difference between halogen and Xenon

[img=http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8244/dscf3152jq3.th.jpg][img=http://img254.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif]
All fitted now into the fairing.

Bob, I'll be ordering another set in a week or so for my car

Andy
Originally Posted by frayz
Got 2 of BOB5 kits on my car and never once been flashed or had any beam problems etc.

The quality of the kits is very good IMO and i cant see any issue with them . Id highly recomend them, and i would never go back to OEM bulbs.

Originally Posted by 404BHP
Bob would like to thank you for the kit I fitted it yesterday and it it amazing how much better the lights are..The kit was really simple to install to..Great product... Can you get kits for other makes of cars?
Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Fitted mine yesterday - superb, much improved over halogen originals. Cheers Bob!
Originally Posted by codie247
Bloody hell these lights are bright!! like driving in daylight
Originally Posted by markee
Just to say car passed MOT today had no probs with lights, this has to be 1 of the best upgrades you can do.

Mark
Originally Posted by Jay m A
Fitted mine today, one hell of a difference

Originally Posted by dunx
Stuck mine on Boxing day morning, wasn't over impressed cloudy and dull.....

Came home about 9 PM., out for a spin and WOW ! so much better now.

DunxC

P.S. Many thanks BOB'5

Originally Posted by Baker

The light is so much brighter and I also think it makes the car look more modern if that makes sense.

Just have to get new sidelights now!

Thanks for the hassle free transaction
Originally Posted by taxidriver174
Cheers for the HID lights WOW i can see at night now
Originally Posted by S600B_DC
Had mine fitted today, what can I say..................

WOW what a difference great mod one of the best I have done.

Thanks for sorting BOB'5

David

Originally Posted by fluffy1970
great bit of kit.Its ok going fast but its more fun when you can see where your going.
cheers bob
Originally Posted by Bugatti
As others have said, well worth every penny spent on this mod .
Originally Posted by alanjack
Bob, many thanks,

Superb and easy to fit, i will be ordering some more

Originally Posted by markee

This has to be 1 of the best mods i have done to the car the improvement over the standard lights are phenomenal, i went out on a test drive along some country lanes & was very impressed it was like daylight especially when i put main beam on
https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...id-kit-gb.html

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 29 November 2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 29 November 2008, 07:39 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I feel sorry for the drivers approaching these cars with lights that are described as 'Bloody hell these lights are bright!! like driving in daylight'.

Autoexpress has confirmed many peoples worries about these DIY kits, in a scientific and professional manner.

Dipster
Old 29 November 2008, 08:08 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

In fighting aside, Im not convinced that they are illegal per se. AutoExpress is a bit of a comic so I doubt that theyve done a deal beyond speaking to an MOT centre and reading the DoTs guidance sheet (which is full of factual inaccuracies and even says itself, that it is an opinion and not a statement of law).

Personally though, Id sooner go without than deal with BOB'5 after the way he has acted, which is now back firing on him.
Old 29 November 2008, 08:14 PM
p12mem
Scooby Regular

i've got a set of these on mine, i've tried in vain to get rid of the scatter, but no joy, still got them on but will be coming off soon as, the seller was full of **** as he wouldn't agree they were not mot legal
Old 29 November 2008, 08:21 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh dear, get the popcorn.
Old 29 November 2008, 08:23 PM
p12mem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
Oh dear, get the popcorn.
this wont be that bad will it
Old 29 November 2008, 08:23 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> Personally though, Id sooner go without than deal with BOB'5 after the way he has acted

Bring back Alcazar! He was right all along (which we knew) and was only hounded out because Bob'5 was a paid up advertiser. That's not big or clever.
Old 29 November 2008, 08:24 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by p12mem
this wont be that bad will it
Let's just sit back and watch
Old 29 November 2008, 08:27 PM
p12mem
Scooby Regular

i think i've missed something major here, not sure i should ask what though
Old 29 November 2008, 08:33 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
> Personally though, Id sooner go without than deal with BOB'5 after the way he has acted

Bring back Alcazar! He was right all along (which we knew) and was only hounded out because Bob'5 was a paid up advertiser. That's not big or clever.
BOB'5 infracted me on that thread for an 'abusive post' (supported by the webclown):

"Jeff, I dont particularly support your anti-HID crusade, but I strongly feel that the vendor in question should have their advertiser status revoked. ScoobyNet would be better off (in anything other than a financial way) without this person."

I have no doubt at all that after allowing the bogus infraction to stand, the webclown told the advertiser about our private conversation where I mentioned the price fixing. Before you know it he had given me four more infractions on old threads that were nothing to do with him.

ScoobyNet will definately be better without people like you BOB'5.
Old 29 November 2008, 08:34 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Better with out the webclown too.
Old 29 November 2008, 09:03 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Sorry but it depends on the model, my bug-eye has projector dip units, and I doubt these were altered for the standard fit JDM HID set-up, I haven't been flashed once, as I have them one click down in traffic.

Legality **** I'd rather be able to see where I'm going !

DunxC

P.S. If I want to dazzle people I'll use the pair of Hella 1000FF's...

P.P.S. Bring back Alcazar....

Last edited by dunx; 29 November 2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 29 November 2008, 09:08 PM
p12mem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Sorry but it depends on the model, my bug-eye has projector dip units, and I doubt these were altered for the standard fit JDM HID set-up, I haven't been flashed once, as I have them one click down in traffic.

Legality **** I'd rather be able to see where I'm going !

DunxC

P.S. Bring back Alcazar....
i'd have to agree with you on the projectors, i MOT'd a clio the other week and they were fine with the HID's
Old 29 November 2008, 09:24 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

I've got BOB'5 HID's on my blobeye, never had another car flash me because they are too bright, they passed the MOT without any problems and on full beam they are amazing
Old 29 November 2008, 09:34 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

i have hid's and i get a few ppl flashing at me..............not because they are too bright more just the fact i think my beam is far far too high

someone reversed into my front end and fcuked off and left my bumper hanging off and since then my beam seems far too high at one side. other than that i never had any problems with them

have to admit i've not been on here long and have seen a fair few bitch fests on here and just think its a sad state of affairs.
Old 29 November 2008, 10:46 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I would rather have HID's on my classic, than risk my life on a dark road with standard lights. Which is something I did in the past and for the record not had anyone flash me for them.

Banny
Old 29 November 2008, 11:38 PM
zafar51
Scooby Regular

HID's make a huge difference and think its a must esp on a scoob,they just need to be set up and adjusted properly..
Old 30 November 2008, 12:09 AM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

I bought a full set of HID's for mine and what a difference, i'll never go back to Halogen Bulbs.

As soon as i fitted mine i went and got my lights set and never had any one flash me due to them being to bright.

Ok there are some cheep and nasty kits out there, I bought a set off here which were just **** and spent most of there time not working.

Lets face it, there are more cars out there with halogen bulbs fitted with head lights not set right and blind you or only have one head light on.

Thats my 2p worth
Old 30 November 2008, 07:54 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

There is no question over the legality of them

They are ILLEGAL. If the nasty policeman wants to do you for them, or a pedantic MOT tester wants to fail you for them, they can.

It's not a grey area, it's only a question of whether you get away with it.

That said, I will fit some when the car's ready for the road again, but I'm fully aware they're in the same category as my decat - ok as long as no one catches you.
Old 30 November 2008, 09:51 AM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tath
There is no question over the legality of them

They are ILLEGAL. If the nasty policeman wants to do you for them, or a pedantic MOT tester wants to fail you for them, they can.

It's not a grey area, it's only a question of whether you get away with it.

That said, I will fit some when the car's ready for the road again, but I'm fully aware they're in the same category as my decat - ok as long as no one catches you.
A decat is only dangerous to the planet, not to other road users.
I am guessing that when the police start enforcing these regulations we will see a massive decrease in them being used, just like the respaced number plates where people thought it was cool to look like a tit..
I get blinded every day at least a dozen times by these things, the worst offender is a pug 206, I think more light goes up in the air than on the road
Old 30 November 2008, 10:22 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Never been flashed in my blob with one of these kits yet I used to get flashed regularly in my 172 clio with oem hid's..!

Passed two MOT's, in fact the tester commented on how good the pattern was..!

IMHO a decent kit, properly adjusted in the right headlight (some designs will obviously scatter more than others) they make a good safe upgrade.

Lol, when halogen bulbs were first introduced way back when, people were getting flashed simply because they were brighter (note not dazzling) than the older technology (and therefore more noticeable). There was a lot of similar complaints about them at the time, now every car has them fitted as std. Very comparable to this debate.

Should we all go back to a candle in a lantern..?!
Old 30 November 2008, 10:55 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

what has customer feedback got to do with it BOB? when you were selling them I never saw one disclaimer stating that they were in fact illegal to use on british roads!

you may get away with using them, but then again you may not. your choice, your money your licence!
Old 30 November 2008, 11:15 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

If you are going to fit an HID conversion kit to your car, you NEED to have a projector headlight unit for the bulb to focus/aim the light where it should be and needs to be - ALL on the road - it if is not a projector unit then the light from the hid bulb is not actually aiming the light where it is needed, but instead lighting up everything in front of you, which you think is what you want, no no. Then you think its brighter, no wrong again. Its an optical illusion as the light looks brighter, it probably is, but it is putting light everywhere as it is a higher light output giving this illusion.

Looks like Alcazar was wrongly banned as he new the facts and tried in his vain to warn people that these HID conversion kits are in fact illegal.

Very good BOB'5 quoted all the positive feedback you have gotten from peolpe buying and fitting our HID kits. I wonder how many customers have removed the kit as it actually worsened the light

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 30 November 2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 30 November 2008, 11:16 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I think the main issue is with classics, they have poor lights to start with and the bodge job H4 HID's are also rubbish, so make things worse..

imho

DunxC
Old 30 November 2008, 11:21 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

you hit the nail on the head dunx. Its the poorly designed classic reflector and I just don't think it is just classics, bugeyes (with out Sti projectors, uk300 projectors) and blobeye still have a poor reflector, albeit better than tyhe classic, but still not brilliant.
Old 30 November 2008, 11:27 AM
p12mem
Scooby Regular

they only work ok with the projectors, thats why the classics with them fitted are pants, including mine! as i said before they will not pass the MOT as the pattern is much less defined and they scatter!
if you have them fitted, put your headlights against a dark high wall and you'll see how high the scatter goes,
oh and i bet the road signs are very bright when you drive on a Mway
Old 30 November 2008, 12:50 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p12mem
oh and i bet the road signs are very bright when you drive on a Mway
Yes, the ones off to the n/s (not the ones overhead.. ) as they were when I had oem HID's on my 172..!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID Kits and their legality.