Sponsored by:

Good new for Newage owners; retrospective VED to be scrapped

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2008, 05:43 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Good news for Newage owners; retrospective VED to be scrapped

Well, not 100% confirmed yet, but the word is that the proposed vehicle excise duty increase for all higher emitting cars registered after 2001 (but not new cars) will be scrapped as part of the government plans to 'look like a tax-cutting party'. The word is that an official announcement will be made at the end of the week in the pre-budget report, but government insiders have confirmed it's as good as. It's kind of odd to be saying you're happy when someone decides not to shaft you up the bottom but I guess we should be grateful for small mercies

Last edited by lunar tick; 11 November 2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11 November 2008, 05:48 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But how will it affect 2004 cars registered in 2007? i guess we will still get stung as mine is currently set at £400/year
Old 11 November 2008, 05:51 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
But how will it affect 2004 cars registered in 2007? i guess we will still get stung as mine is currently set at £400/year
I'm not sure. It would be nice to think it would revert to the old rate but I somehow suspect this is unlikely
Old 11 November 2008, 05:56 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dam it! part of the reason i sold my civic type r was cos of the proposed new tax rules, oh well spose it might tempt me into a newage scooby now! certianly would entertain a new age if the rules do go through.
Old 11 November 2008, 05:57 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

by the way, what is your source of this rumour?
Old 11 November 2008, 06:00 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I find this very hard to believe!
Old 11 November 2008, 06:03 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I dont. Its just the length that Labour will go to, totry and save their skins. I welcome it, but feel sorry for all the guys/girls that have sold their pride and joy for rock bottom prices to avoid the tax hike. Next stop, the ridiculous fuel tax.
Old 11 November 2008, 06:10 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Funnily enough I think it will do more damage to the party in the long run if they do scrap the proposals for March. A lot of people have made big changes already car wise.

If they were going to scrap it, it should have been done several months ago.
Old 11 November 2008, 06:16 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mylesthegreat(not!)
Its just the length that Labour will go to, to try and save their skins.
Couldn't have put it better myself
Old 11 November 2008, 06:53 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont. Its just the length that Labour will go to, totry and save their skins. I welcome it, but feel sorry for all the guys/girls that have sold their pride and joy for rock bottom prices to avoid the tax hike. Next stop, the ridiculous fuel tax.
My feelings exactly.

Prepare to see the value of pre 2001 performance cars fall also now thay no loger have the low tax selling point.
Old 12 November 2008, 12:07 AM
Sosbanite
Scooby Regular

Don't get too excited, it's only being postponed

Labour U-turn on car tax rises - Telegraph
Old 12 November 2008, 06:24 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i'm saying nothing https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ght-now-3.html post 70

unfortunately this will do very little to stop the slide in prices as it'll now be pretty obvious that people are selling because of the current financial climate and not some soppy bollocks about road tax.

for those that did sell due to the fear of a price hike i do feel genuinely sorry as a fellow enthusiast and petrol head, but nothing on this VED change was ever officially decided and it's a prime example of media speculation and the knee jerk reaction culture we now live in
Old 12 November 2008, 10:50 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
It shouldnt be: keep complaining. Sheffied VRO are trying to register all vehicles this way: Hull are doing them all properly.....
Old 12 November 2008, 12:09 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
but nothing on this VED change was ever officially decided and it's a prime example of media speculation and the knee jerk reaction culture we now live in
Wasn't it in last years budget report in black and white?
Old 12 November 2008, 01:50 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This is excellent news.... it means I will still pay an astronomical amount of £185 AGAIN next year, until it changes to an even bigger amount of £200 for my 2003 Spec C in 2010/11. :

Thank god for imports!
Old 12 November 2008, 02:09 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

I paid £400 thanks
Old 12 November 2008, 02:23 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sosbanite
Don't get too excited, it's only being postponed

Labour U-turn on car tax rises - Telegraph
"Postponed" is politician speak for scrapped without having to admit they got it all wrong.

Go forward a year and it'll either be forgotton or they'll "postpone" it again....
Old 12 November 2008, 02:45 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it's been said before but surely £200 extra will not stop an enthusiast from owning the car they choose. As people on this forum are by definition that type I cannot see why this topic causes such excitement.....appart from not wanting the thieving effers to take any more cash.
Old 12 November 2008, 03:19 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thesyn
I'm sure it's been said before but surely £200 extra will not stop an enthusiast from owning the car they choose. As people on this forum are by definition that type I cannot see why this topic causes such excitement.....appart from not wanting the thieving effers to take any more cash.
Sure but everyone has their limit. At somepoint there has to be a straw that will break the camels back.

What with a very expensive year petrol-wise, car values plummeting, living costs rising, wage inflation low and so on, it makes it relatively more expensive to be the aforementioned "enthusiast".

Where do YOU draw the line? However much an enthusiast you think you may be, general living costs must be paid for, you and your family must be fed etc.
Old 12 November 2008, 05:31 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
Wasn't it in last years budget report in black and white?
from what i've read it was only ever a proposal that would be put into action/confirmed in the pre-budget report.

i guess the car mags and websites were doing their best to pre warn their readers, but they did jump the gun a bit.

i'm under no illusion that if the country wasn't in the mess it is then they would have passed this under the 'green' banner, but hey, here we are
Old 12 November 2008, 06:29 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thesyn
surely £200 extra will not stop an enthusiast from owning the car they choose. As people on this forum are by definition that type I cannot see why this topic causes such excitement.....appart from not wanting the thieving effers to take any more cash.
Tell that to the people who've discovered the resale value of their post-2001 cars have plummeted. And if £200 is of no consequence to you, great But a lot of people (including me) will be glad to have £200 extra in their bank and not in the coffers of this thieving government.
Old 12 November 2008, 06:41 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I'll only waste mine on more fuel !

lol

DunxC
Old 12 November 2008, 07:43 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

but why are people selling their cars at rock bottom prices surely say selling your car 1-2k cheaper than its worth just to save £200 a year is like paying your road tax hike for 5-10 years, selling your car for those reasons is imho a bit pointles, and i dare say its more to do with a lot of other reasons why people are selling cheap.

p.s i'm not rich btw and i'm as peed off as the rest but i'm not about to sell mine cheap just to not pay an extra £4 a week.

all in my opinion of course.

Aaron
Old 12 November 2008, 07:51 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
but why are people selling their cars at rock bottom prices surely say selling your car 1-2k cheaper than its worth just to save £200 a year is like paying your road tax hike for 5-10 years, selling your car for those reasons is imho a bit pointles, and i dare say its more to do with a lot of other reasons why people are selling cheap.
people are selling their cars cheap because there's less people out there with money to burn on these sort of cars. a lot of people are cutting back on outgoings and these can be an expensive car to run.

i agree with your comments about selling purely because of road tax, i think the market would be in the same state even if this road tax restructure had never been mentioned! nothing is selling regardless of age
Old 12 November 2008, 08:01 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
people are selling their cars cheap because there's less people out there with money to burn on these sort of cars. a lot of people are cutting back on outgoings and these can be an expensive car to run.

i agree with your comments about selling purely because of road tax, i think the market would be in the same state even if this road tax restructure had never been mentioned! nothing is selling regardless of age
yep agree with you too matey i just couldn't be bothered to write out a whole list of factors why cars are so cheap

Aaron
Old 12 November 2008, 08:10 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
yep agree with you too matey i just couldn't be bothered to write out a whole list of factors why cars are so cheap

Aaron
lol, i'm waiting for an ebay auction to end so i've got a bit of spare time

plus i'm a nerd with a chip on his shoulder about this bloody tax nonsense
Old 12 November 2008, 08:12 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon 69
It shouldnt be: keep complaining. Sheffied VRO are trying to register all vehicles this way: Hull are doing them all properly.....
But its not a regional thing it comes from DVLA they are the ones who tell you how much you have to pay per year (after being instructed by the govt)