Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecutek remap, proof its been done??

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2008, 04:24 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecutek remap, proof its been done??

What proof do you get when your car has been mapped using this software..

I have been led to believe that my car was remapped for UK fuel and i'm due to arrange an appointment soon with another mapper to take advantage of the mods i have done.

Cheers
Old 22 September 2008, 04:53 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

I don't think it will matter. Another mapper will have to use another licence to map it so it will be like it never had one in any case (if you see what I mean).

IIRC The original mapper is the only person who can use it again in a re-map

I'm not sure I made any sense at all in that post
Old 22 September 2008, 04:58 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

The next mapper should be able to see the date of when the ECU was last flashed.

As per the above post your new mapper will have to overwrite the previous map as they will not be able to download & edit, just create & upload.

Rich
Old 22 September 2008, 04:58 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stainy
I don't think it will matter. Another mapper will have to use another licence to map it so it will be like it never had one in any case (if you see what I mean).

IIRC The original mapper is the only person who can use it again in a re-map

I'm not sure I made any sense at all in that post
I'm not sure if thats correct.

Here is a quote from andy.f website

"Subsequent mapping of a licenced ECU is £195+v if it my own base map or £350+v if starting with another tuners base map"
Old 22 September 2008, 05:13 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob2006
"Subsequent mapping of a licenced ECU is £195+v if it my own base map or £350+v if starting with another tuners base map"
Yep tis the same from my understanding.

If Andy uses his own base map, (ie is remapping his last remap) then he will have it stored on his laptop so won't have to write it all again, just edit his previous and upload.
If he has to use a previous mapper's map, then, as he won't be able to download & edit it, he will have to create an entry for every field from scratch on his blank base map on his laptop... hence taking more time ...hence costing more.

I can see how you could read the quote though and interprete it as being able to "read" the previous map though, but the only way to do this on EcuTek is for the previous mapper to hand over their file...and as we all know, this doesn't usually happen.
Old 22 September 2008, 05:23 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NorthDownsScooby
Yep tis the same from my understanding.

If Andy uses his own base map, (ie is remapping his last remap) then he will have it stored on his laptop so won't have to write it all again, just edit his previous and upload.
If he has to use a previous mapper's map, then, as he won't be able to download & edit it, he will have to create an entry for every field from scratch on his blank base map on his laptop... hence taking more time ...hence costing more.

I can see how you could read the quote though and interprete it as being able to "read" the previous map though, but the only way to do this on EcuTek is for the previous mapper to hand over their file...and as we all know, this doesn't usually happen.
Thanks

what i'm getting at though is the licence. If i have been told my car has been mapped then it should have the ecutek licence. There is a big difference between £350 +vat and £500 +vat. I just dont have anything in writing saying it has been mapped.

Whats to stop a mapper saying nope.. your cars never been remapped with ecutek software and charge you full whack.
Old 22 September 2008, 05:30 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

That's crazy, I thought once you bought the license you can get the car remapped at any mapper without having to buy the license again. Not of much help to me if you plan to move around etc.
In which case after paying a mapper to write a map for the car I should ask for the map in a CD so I can use it in the future by another mapper, is that correct?
Old 22 September 2008, 06:00 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob2006
Thanks

what i'm getting at though is the licence. If i have been told my car has been mapped then it should have the ecutek licence. There is a big difference between £350 +vat and £500 +vat. I just dont have anything in writing saying it has been mapped.

Whats to stop a mapper saying nope.. your cars never been remapped with ecutek software and charge you full whack.
When my car was remapped as part of a Performance Pack (RC Develoments) I got a receipt listing everything that had been done, including the EcuTek map.

In answer to your last paragraph, I guess nothing, except professionalism.
Old 22 September 2008, 06:05 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
That's crazy, I thought once you bought the license you can get the car remapped at any mapper without having to buy the license again. Not of much help to me if you plan to move around etc.
In which case after paying a mapper to write a map for the car I should ask for the map in a CD so I can use it in the future by another mapper, is that correct?
Once you have had it done and paid for the licence then that's it, regardless of who does it afterwards. So, the first remap will be c£600 (which also buys you the licence), and any subsequent will be c£300, regardless of who does it.

You can ask for it, but then we get into the debate about who actually owns it...the mapper or the recipient of the map. Tis a bit like art you see....mappers will allow you to hang their artwork on your car, but they still own their creation.
Old 22 September 2008, 06:10 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
fpan you are correct, once you have an EcuTek remap on the Ecu you do not need to buy another licence. This means you can go to any mapper and it will only cost you the mapping fees but not the Licence cost.

As far as asking the mapper for the map on CD I don't think you have a chance of getting this. These mapper spend years getting the knowledge to map the cars so giving away their information would never happen.
Old 22 September 2008, 06:17 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i wasn't sure my car had ppp because i never had a cert with it, so i rolling rd it to see bhp and when i got it mapped just asked jgm if he could check and he showed me on his laptop that it had been done by prodrive, if your that worried just ask him to show you as your probably next to him anyhow.

Also i don't think there would be one mapper that you'd get recommended on here that would dream of ripping someone off, they all come with glowing references. JGM when mapping mine explained everything he was doing as others probably do too, so stick with respected ones and you'll be in good hands.

Aaron
Old 22 September 2008, 08:10 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As has been said.. make a point of asking to see the programming window..
I always talk the customer through it..
I don't recall ever having a car that was suppose to have a licence in but didn't.. a few that unexpectedly had a licence in already..

The programming window clearly displays whether programming will use a licence or not.. and also the number of times the ecu has been programmed and who by on the last time.

Also as has been said you cannot read the map off the ecu, therefore if the new mapper is different then they won't be able to access the map as they won't have a copy.. not that this is an issue as it is good to start from a set point and cover everything etc

Simon