Sponsored by:

Leaving for France

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2008, 06:28 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Leaving for France

For two days for over annivesary...Scooby's all washed and polished ready to go...

Any recomendations of what to see were to go...?

Going by car..
Old 29 August 2008, 06:36 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back mate but not in the scoob unfortunatley,in the Zafira with the family
Only saw one classic this time prety rare sight
Stayed in the Vendee near La Rochelle and drove back up past Nantes to Cherbourg
Love driving over there,roads are so much better and one thing is that the French do have much better lane etiquet
Take it easy loads of fixed cameras and a saw several mobile traps and 130 odd euro on the spot fines for speeding I think.
Where you off to?

Cheers
Matt
Old 29 August 2008, 07:04 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

millau bridge, lovely motorways, hardly a car on them, but you do pay, roughly £50 for 500 miles. Ive just driven a thousand miles in france visiting friends and you can cover huge distances in short time, i set my car on auto cruise at 95mph and covered 500 miles in 6.5-7 hours including stops.
Old 29 August 2008, 07:59 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

Yup, make sure you have some Euro's handy just in case. I was fined €60, but in some cases, once your more than 40Ks over the limit(I think) they can have your license off you at the roadside, at the officers discretion. Obviously if you're being a ****, they will really have you by the short and curlies. They are certainly not as sneaky or money grabbing as the lot in your part of the world, but it is something they have clamped down on in recent years.
Old 29 August 2008, 08:40 PM
l33 griff
Scooby Regular

recently went over in the girlfriends mini cooper S, we covered 2 thousand miles in 5 days, We drove from Exeter to dover in 3 hours (left at 12am second time around) due to the lady forgetting the new tax disk and we had to turn around and get it....... When we arrived in calisis we thought we would head to the southeast of france. we drove a good 350 miles but decided to goLa Rochelle as she liked the name lol. When we arrived i was really shattred considering i have just driven about 18 hours with a one hour kip on the ferry and afew toilet stops, we made our way to the centre and parked up. Found it very hard to find a hotel with parking. As i took my laptop and could go online through my mobile we found a place a mile from the center. it was a holiday apartment and had a pool and under ground parking. We stayed for two nights and went to the sea life centre that i would recommend seeing. We also ventured into Paris ( misses had a pillow over her face due to there driving mannor lol) Deffently a rush driving through there and so wish i had the scooby at the time lol, We went disney land for a day and that was better then exspected. our last couple nights we stayed in fe-camp in normandy, quite a run down palce but the hotel was cheaper and was amazing, it was a 3 star but could of been passed for a 5 star any day. We took a tom tom which made things easy and drove between 85-100mph. All the speed cameras showed up on the good old **** nav so would recommend one for that alone as the roads are just so straight and smooth. also remember the tolls aint cheap. we spent about 80quid on them, on that note fuel was much cheaper either. We spent ages trying to find a 24hour one so if you do any late driving make sure you top up.
Old 29 August 2008, 09:42 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

going to fosses just on the outskirts of parris I think, staying at my uncles guest house..save on hotel costs :-) driving into parris in the morning...

Using my new iPhone, very impressd....

Though have to wait an hour for the ferry! Matt dono how you did it, I'd get bored to death if I had to do this journey in my wifes focus..

Got 100 euro's for if I get pulled, though thinking now I should have got more as I was planin on Using my CC....

Can't wait to get on the french motorways....
Old 29 August 2008, 09:42 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

by the way how much is fuel out there?
Old 29 August 2008, 09:53 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

DisneyLand is good(not as good as the US ones)
South of France is lovely.....Beziers, anywhere on the bottom! Some gorgeous Campsites....we stayed in an amazing campsite with shows and a massive water park thing with slides and that.....
Bordeaux area is nice but only this time of the year...went there last year early season and it persisted down! Was in a 1.2 Punto aswell!
Gonna take the scoob in a few years! Managed 115 in the Punto downhill!
Went past the Gendearme and I reckon they figured that their speed gun was broken cos they just carried on drinking coffee next to the tripod
Old 29 August 2008, 09:55 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

If you are near an Aqualand.....go....they are great! Went to 2 in France and was at one in Malaga last week! It had a free Sea Lion show and LOADS of slides....lotsa fun!
Old 30 August 2008, 03:12 AM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmileyScooby
If you are near an Aqualand.....go....they are great! Went to 2 in France and was at one in Malaga last week! It had a free Sea Lion show and LOADS of slides....lotsa fun!
Went to one in the South of France when visiting my cousin. They really are great fun, there's a ride called the crazy race and the black hole which we loved.
Old 30 August 2008, 01:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just got back last night.
To answer a couple of questions:

98 octane available from even the seediest supermarket with petrol, widely available everywhere, going at €1.60-1.58 per litre on the motorway, and €1.42-1.46 at supermarkets. Most supermarkets, even some quite big ones open from 0930-1200, then 1430, (or 1500)-1900.

Virtually ALL supermarkets have a 24 hour pump, but many are weird with UK cards.....doesn't bother me, I've got a French one

If you see a sign for "Controle automatique", then slow to the speed limit, there WILL be a camera. They are small, (around 3 feet by one and half feet), grey, road level, sometimes with black and yellow checker tape along the edges, sometimes not.

If folk coming towards you are flashing, slow to the limit, it's 99% certain there's a trap ahead. They don't bother for fixed cameras.

DO be careful on motorways: the speed limits on slip roads, entering toll areas and entering aires are often enforced with a trap and it's SOOOOOOOOO easy to be over the posted limit

Alcazar
Old 30 August 2008, 02:01 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

2 days only..? Le Touquet..?