Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dawes Device .Original group buy. A matter of trust...

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2002, 08:08 AM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To those who where part of my original group buy and any one else who might like to comment.

I would like to know how you felt about sending me a cheque when you realy did not know me??

Did I keep in contact with you to let you have as much info as to when I would bank the Cheques???? Did I keep my word?? Did I answer your calls or e-mails quickley??

Did I also send things out correctly and on time????

And when I got charged "Duty" did you trust me for the extra £1.00

I think it was Gavin who came to my house and saw the documents to prove.

I am not doing another group buy!!! Just wanting to know if you felt I seemed an honest member of this BBS. Bearing in mind that on your promises of an order I used my own money up front.

I would realy like your feed back.

Luke
Old 08 February 2002, 08:23 AM
George Sayers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You did a great job Luke - accepting the risk and communicating with a large group of people. Best of all you declined my £1 duty cheque!

Job well done!
Old 08 February 2002, 08:26 AM
Luke
BANNED

George .... MUPPET!!!! Now they will all want a refund!!! You where the last to know aboutit. I had banked the cheques and couldnt be bothered to go dwn again for another £1...
Old 08 February 2002, 09:30 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Smile

Luke,

It did cross my mind about not knowing you, but then again we were only talking ~£26. So I took my chance.

If it was a group by for wheels or an Exhaust system then I could not bring myself to give that sort of money to somebody I do not know or is not an established business (nothing against you Luke, I am talking generally here).

The HKS group buy springs to mind but there I think it was okay as the names were passed to the distributor and they contacted the individuals.

On the other side I think it takes some ***** to shell out up front for something like this as it only takes one person to start dragging their heels over payment and all of a sudden it becomes a major hassle for the person organising it.

I think there must be doubts from both sides of the party as both don't know each other.

Damian.
Old 08 February 2002, 09:54 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Luke,

You did a f*****g good job m8.

With regards to trusting you, i dunno just did.

Still haven't fitted it permanently yet.

Cheers

Iain
Old 08 February 2002, 10:07 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Luke I would give you a six star rating out of five.

£26 is not really a big amount. But I would happily group buy with you again for larger amounts given your track record. If you had no track record I would not really shell out much more without finding out first.
Old 08 February 2002, 10:19 AM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)
Thumbs up

Luke is a very trustworthy fella.

After a plea for help on this BBS Luke came out of his way to my house and spent two evenings sorting a central heating problem I had.

He wanted nothing for it, and for some one I had never met, let alone spoken too before it's good to know there are decent people around in this day and age. TOP ONE LUKE

As for trusting him with £26, I'm not sure

Phil

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2002, 10:38 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Luke,

Not me mate - I had one already...

It's a shame that a few bad apples......

Thanks

Gavin
Old 08 February 2002, 10:40 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Luke

IIRC the first point of contact was your telephone No. and once off the phone to you it was pretty obvious that you are genuine (then again most con artists sound genuine) and I had no worries about sending you the money. Also the emails and posts on this board regarding progress of the group buy were great.

Theres always an element of trust (and risk) involved with these types of deals from both parties but as far as I'm concerned I've treated all my deals on this board with the view thats its 'scoobynetters helping out other scoobynetters' rather than 'scoobynetters might rip off other scoobynetters'. Indeed my other buys have both been £300+ and with that sort of money its 'little chef with cash' scenario. Indeed once I sent a cheque for £50 to hold a set of wheels for 6 weeks once we had agreed a price - he didn't cash it until I picked them up and payed the balance.

In your case Luke it was a bit different, paying money upfront before seeing the thing, but as said earlier its only £26 (a weeks wages to some) had it have been £260 upfront I'm sure your deal would not have been over subscribed....however knowing me I'd still have taken it up

What if life wasn't full of 'what ifs'

Justin

Old 08 February 2002, 11:31 AM
spender
Scooby Regular

I had no qualms dealing with you Luke - top banana..........
Old 08 February 2002, 12:14 PM
Elvis Presley
Scooby Regular

You seem a decent chap with high morals.

Again, top banana!
Old 08 February 2002, 06:34 PM
Luke
BANNED

Phil

Hello mate ,Hope you and the good lady are well

so..... What was the end result with the system????

Luke
Old 08 February 2002, 06:46 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Hey Luke, can't complain at all. It was my first group buy, and I suppose I felt a little apprehension, but as many others have said the outlay didn't seem too risky.
As for my device, it's still not on yet, but after the Well Lane day last Sunday, it's gonna go on asap, but I've misplaced the little bugger!!
Old 08 February 2002, 06:49 PM
Luke
BANNED

Cheers. Even though I did ask for the cheques up front non where cashed until I received the "DD's" By having your cheques I regarded your order as genuine.

I do have a problem......... One that I did not expect to get to its current situation.

It concerns common decency and respect. It has got to a bit of a stand off......he has the Dawes, His cheque was never cashed or never received. he did contact me about it. After weeks of waiting and sending e-mails. Asking for another. I had no reply.

During "Darrens" post concerning payment . I posted that I might have to post my concerns with this situation. Now he has taken great exception to the post. No reason for the delay etc . His attitude is very rude and has told me he wishes to wait until his next bank statement....... Just incase I have cashed it.. .All cheques where paid in as one and the bank want £20 ish to dig them all out again!!

I cant understand what the problem is ,he still owes me the money and I would like it.

If not I will (After showing Simon full details and copies of this guys e-mails) post his details .

Old 08 February 2002, 06:55 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

luke, just got to say tx for orgainisng it! I've bought numerous things off the bbs and have only ever had one problem which involved my offer being accepted but then it never getting sorted out. no money exchanged hands though. with regards to your group buy I had no qualms about trusting you. you seemed genuine and went to a lot of trouble to organise it. you've got to trust someone!! pumpers.
Old 08 February 2002, 06:56 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Well said Luke.............Give him his money...tightwads

Darren
Old 08 February 2002, 07:02 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is ages since the group buy. I suppose you could wait for all the cheques to clear before sending out the goods. Whatever, it should all have been settled well before now. Unfortunately this sort of thing will stop good folk like Luke bothering to do a group buy again!
Old 08 February 2002, 07:07 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Darren... You stay out of it mate!!!!!! got my other thread locked because I stood up for us.....
Old 08 February 2002, 07:49 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

If this 'other party' is concerned that you may have cashed his cheque, why doesn't he just phone the bank and find out? If it really has been 'lost in the post' he can have it stopped for no fee. Why don't you suggest that to him? I mean, when his bank statement turns up it'll be a few days out of date so then he can claim you may have cashed it in the last few days [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

All this to rip you off for 26 quid [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09 February 2002, 01:16 AM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Big thumbs up to Luke for sorting out the DD group buy
A number of factors 'created' trust:
1300+ postings -> would such a prolific poster really betray their Scoobynet comrades
phone conversion -> I'm sure a con-man would not have known about the Subaru Legacy Turbo earthing mod ;p
£26 outlay -> hmmm...I guess I could afford to loose it
vodka reality check -> you can always trust a Jedi

Anyway, looking forward to a 17psi (courtesy of Luke) scooby blast this weekend.
PP
Old 09 February 2002, 11:35 AM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)
Thumbs up

The systems great now Luke. Luuurvely and warm.

Boilers still going, even with most of it's insides down my plug hole!

Phil
Old 02 August 2002, 10:04 PM
Luke
BANNED

Carl, tell me....
But I must give him credit. He did contact me first to tell me it had not been cashed. What with Christmas and getting married, it got a bit busy. Just his attitude afterwards. You should see his e-mails!!!!! Talk about "Testosterone" Like pslewis on bad acid!!!! (Pete, I know you only take the good stuff..)

[Edited by Luke - 2/8/2002 10:07:49 PM]