ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

1500 miles in a Subaru Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2008, 06:02 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1500 miles in a Subaru Diesel

OK, first off I know it's sacrilage but 2 months ago I chopped in the STi for a Legacy Touring Diesel.
Basically after 8 years of Impreza ownership I wanted something more suitable for my advancing age which would be able to cart the family around & not attract our local scumbags who have regularly attempted to obtain my previous cars without having to pay through the nose for it like we all have to. I liked the look of the Legacy, quite sharp styling & similarly to the Audi A4 I think it looks better as an estate.
After 3 months of the STi being for sale on here, pistonheads & ebay I got zero calls, despite it being reduced down to the cheapest I could find regardless of PPP (which it had) & low mileage (10k!!!).
A friend on here (thx Andy) pointed me in the direction of a deal to be had & I managed to better it locally so p/x'd the STi stripped back to basics for £900 more than I had been asking for it with £2k of extra bits on!!! (The dealer has since sold it for even more - go figure).
I drove the demonstrator & was impressed, so after checking insurance costs (£300 for a year), service costs (Pretty reasonable), Tax bracket (No horrors there) the deal was done.
I've since done 1500 miles in it (The STi did 300/month!) and I am loving it. The ride is super smooth & once warm the diesel sounds like a petrol (One guy approached me last week to say "Is it really a diesel - didn't sound like one when you went round the carpark"). It's got quite a bit of torque so once moving it's got half decent pace. The grip is superb & for a barge it handles really well (I'm really not missing the STi).
The interior is really quite nice with decent leather, electric everything, better quality plastics & tons of toys. The satnav is quite good too.
Then the best bit. Having read the report which claimed the fuel economy computer was way out I checked it by comparing petrol receipts with actual mileage, it was 99% accurate but on the low side! In the 1500 miles its averaging a real 46.3 mpg despite loads of local runs in traffic and a spirited motorway run with 5 up & crammed full of luggage.
The only niggle I can find is that it could do with a 6 speed gearbox for flexibility.
It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I think it's worth a serious look for anyone wanting a bigger more economical car with the bonus of the Subaru quirks like 4 wheel drive & flat 4 etc.
Old 24 August 2008, 06:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up those boxer diesels should be the biggest sellers when they are in all the range of cars

Tony
Old 24 August 2008, 09:43 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it is a rather nice engine and i think they drop it the forester in september which will be good for sales
Old 24 August 2008, 09:49 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above,great write up,glad your enjoying it
Old 24 August 2008, 10:01 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Impressed you have taken such a shine to it from an sti Impreza. I feel this is the way to go for Subaru now. They'll have a premium sti Impreza and the rest will be low emission cars. The WRX range as it is now is a dead duck, in fact the next WRX will probably be a diesel!
Old 25 August 2008, 09:11 AM
st33ly
Scooby Regular

See in autocar that they are thinking about making a Sti diesel with 400lb/ft of torque to match now that will be nice! Oh and 48 mpg!!!!!!
Old 25 August 2008, 02:31 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Webby - special section needed for Scoob diesels pls!

TX.
Old 25 August 2008, 04:39 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Got to say I would be sorely tempted to try dropping a boxer diesel into a classic in a few years
Old 25 August 2008, 05:14 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

rumours are it won't fit due to the power steering set up and it's to tall but i don't know how true these are