Bug Eye Impreza WRX vs STI

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2008, 05:58 PM
Doidge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug Eye Impreza WRX vs STI

Hi there

Im looking at buying a bugeye impreza, however I cant decide whetehr to go for the normal WRX or the STI.

Is it true that the STI has a completely different engine?

From a tuning point of view is one better than the other? What sort of power would each be likely to put out once remapped with exhaust etc?

Thanks for your help

p.s. I am in Norfolk if anyone lives close and I can have a look at theirs.
Old 23 August 2008, 06:43 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the STI has a completely different engine, uprated internals, semi closed deck block, is capable of more power, along with the uprated brakes, gearbox, clutch etc (you get the point )
STi's are the better car though the WRX may be easier to live with

Tony
Old 23 August 2008, 07:14 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much power each puts out is down to what you do in the way of supporting mods. But the upper power limit (before you have a serious risk of an expensive bit going bang) of the WRX is about 340bhp, compared to about 440 for the STI, if that helps. Of course, to get that sort of power in either you'll be spending quite a lot of money.

M
Old 23 August 2008, 07:31 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Try both. As previously posted, they're quite different cars in the way they drive. I went for the WRX with PPP as the STI was a touch harsh as a family car.
Old 23 August 2008, 08:50 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

According to some on here the bugeye sti had the strongest engine of all the impreza's.
Old 23 August 2008, 08:55 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Yes the STI has a completely different engine, uprated internals, semi closed deck block, is capable of more power, along with the uprated brakes, gearbox, clutch etc (you get the point )
STi's are the better car though the WRX may be easier to live with

Tony

Did not all newage Imprezas come with at least semi closed deck blocks?

It's a no brainer for me, the STI every time, I bought a bug WRX then spent 10's of thousands modding it fun though
Old 23 August 2008, 08:55 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martwrxsl
According to some on here the bugeye sti had the strongest engine of all the impreza's.

They had stronger pistons that the STI8.
Old 23 August 2008, 09:09 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Did not all newage Imprezas come with at least semi closed deck blocks?

It's a no brainer for me, the STI every time, I bought a bug WRX then spent 10's of thousands modding it fun though
AGREE its been fun but also £££££
Old 23 August 2008, 11:33 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

They are both cracking cars but the way you are talking I think you want to look at the STi. The WRX I always think of as a quick saloon, the STi is a sports car... albeit with a saloon shell.

Both can be modified, as any car can, to run big power. A mate of mine has a WRX SL Hawkeye, lovely car, and is running the same power as my lightly modded STI Hawkeye... he has spent thousands, I have spent a thousand. Mine cost more though initially. Horses for courses.

Main problem with the WRX for me if wanting to modify is the 5 speed box, smaller turbo, smaller brakes and lack of DCCD. All very expensive to upgrade.
Old 23 August 2008, 11:35 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
They are both cracking cars but the way you are talking I think you want to look at the STi. The WRX I always think of as a quick saloon, the STi is a sports car... albeit with a saloon shell.

Both can be modified, as any car can, to run big power. A mate of mine has a WRX SL Hawkeye, lovely car, and is running the same power as my lightly modded STI Hawkeye... he has spent thousands, I have spent a thousand. Mine cost more though initially. Horses for courses.

Main problem with the WRX for me if wanting to modify is the 5 speed box, smaller turbo, smaller brakes and lack of DCCD. All very expensive to upgrade.

yeah, after all the money I have spent it's the lack of DCCD thats annoying me, still can be sorted but more ££££
Old 24 August 2008, 08:50 AM
Doidge
Scooby Regular

Is the STI a lot harsher ride than the WRX?
Old 24 August 2008, 09:09 AM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

Yes, I've put STI springs and shocks on my wrx and it is a lot harsher. Roll and pitch are far better contained though. If the weather is OK over the next couple of days I might try the WRX springs instead.

Fuel is another thing... Don't need SUL in a UK WRX, if you don't use it in the STI it doesn't like it at all. Spares such as brakes are cheaper and insurance too.
Old 24 August 2008, 09:16 AM
Doidge
Scooby Regular

It sounds to me like its going to end up costing a lot more for the STI and the WRX may be more to my needs. I do a lot of long distance driving so if the STI is a lot harder on the suspension and drinks more fuel its going to end up griding on me. I think for my budget the WRX is going to be better from what everyone has said,

Thanks again for all your advice
Old 24 August 2008, 11:47 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I am with cookstar on this one! I too have spend thouands on my wrx. I should have waited and bought an sti.
Yes it does depend on what you want, but the sti is by far the better car especially if you are like us and start modding! lol.
I now have a very expensive costing wrx! Ha.
Although its a 'sleeper' so i like that side of it
Old 24 August 2008, 11:51 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

If you can, always for for the better model! I drove 2 WRX's about 2 years ago and thought they were cr@p. It put me off buying a Scooby. I now drive an STI....
Old 24 August 2008, 11:53 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
I am with cookstar on this one! I too have spend thouands on my wrx. I should have waited and bought an sti.
Yes it does depend on what you want, but the sti is by far the better car especially if you are like us and start modding! lol.
I now have a very expensive costing wrx! Ha.
Although its a 'sleeper' so i like that side of it
You can have a sleeper STi too

<---

but I agree, if you are going to mod then an STi is the way to go. I'm not sure for the OP though as he talks about modding then about motorway miles. I think the STi is better on the motorway too as has a sixth gear but I would never run it on less than SUL so that probably evens out that score.
Old 24 August 2008, 12:07 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

Ive got a 2005 STI and the standard ride was very bumpy, I then fitted the Prodrive springs and this made a huge difference, the ride is more compliant at regular driving speeds but when you start pushing it the progressive springs come into their own.
Go for the STI if you can afford the initial purchase price and you wont look back
the STI also has a nicer interior as well IMHO.

As pointed out by others
Stronger engine (with larger intercooler good for up to about 500bhp(See Jimzers car on SIDC))
Better Suspension parts
Upgraded brakes
6 speed box with DCCD if its a JDM car (you need to wait till 2005 cars for DCCD in the UK)
better interior
more power as standard
Slightly wider wheels as well I think 225 opposed to 215 for the WRX

Hope this helps
Graeme
Old 24 August 2008, 12:30 PM
jho!
Scooby Regular

I bought a 54 plate wrx with ppp, it was a fanstasic car once I removed the original spoiler and put a sti one on. Now it had the looks PPP gave it the same power, and I fitted a afterburner backbox and center section to give it the sound. But, it wasn't a STI so in the end I sold it and got a 08 STI now im happy. Apart from waiting for a louder exhaust.

What i'm saying is the WRX is a great car but one day a STI will pull up along side you will look across and wish you had one.

My wrx would only run on vmax or tesco 99 propally and the STI does more mpg.
Old 24 August 2008, 12:39 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

If fuel costs concern you, stay well away from both

TX.

Originally Posted by Doidge
I do a lot of long distance driving so if the STI is a lot harder on the suspension and drinks more fuel its going to end up griding on me.
Old 24 August 2008, 05:16 PM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
If you can, always for for the better model! I drove 2 WRX's about 2 years ago and thought they were cr@p. It put me off buying a Scooby. I now drive an STI....
Mine's alright - as you know !!
Old 25 August 2008, 12:58 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

I don't think you should write off an STI's firmer suspension until you've driven one OP. The JDM springs on mine are firm but certainly bearable. Especially when joining a motorway from a curved slip road

And I can also get just under 30mpg from my JDM. I'd probably get a touch more if I had a UK 6 speed box with longer ratio. I'd recommend a PSI 3 unit. You'd be surprised to know it's more economical to travel 80-90 than at 70.
Old 25 August 2008, 03:15 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bear in mind that a lot of the STI firmness could be the tyres: I went from 17" wheels with default Potenza RE040s, to 18" rims with Eagle F1s, and the ride got noticeably softer.

M
Old 25 August 2008, 04:01 PM
Followme
Scooby Newbie

For me is was the STI with ppp ,test drove the wrx with ppp but the STI wins hands down.Would have to agree that the wrx is a more usable everyday car but i loved the STI.
Old 25 August 2008, 04:58 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see how anyone can say the STI isnt useable every day. Its a WRX but better in every way...

I dont see any reason to buy a WRX over an STI other than cost.

Thats not a dig at the WRX boys by any means but always makes me laugh as to the excuse some people purchased the WRX over the STI. I bought my STI because i couldnt insure a Spec C. But by no means am i going to say that the Spec C wasnt useable... its a 4 door family saloon for gods sake.

Some buy a WRX then spend money on it adding STI parts, bigger brakes, firmer suspension etc etc... making less user friendly than that of a stock STI in most cases. Would of been more cost effective to buy the STI in the first place.
Old 25 August 2008, 05:16 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

frayz - That is my point exactly! I bought my wrx as it was my one chance at one hell of a nice new car, and a Subaru at that!
But it all went downhill from there! LOL.
Ahh, hindsight, such a wonderful thing