ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Supermarket car park dings

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2002, 02:52 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I came out of Tescos in Knebworth this afternoon to find some woman had parked her Corsa next to mine, she was in the back doing something to her kid whilst leaning on her car door which was open and pushing on my car!! I said to her (quite angrily) "excuse me, your door is leaning against my car!" to which she replied "I didn't bang it, just rested it", which leads me to believe she did it on purpose? I have zero regrets with the abuse I hurled at her, don't people have *any* respect for other peoples' property?

Fscking annoyed I am.

Steve.
Old 06 February 2002, 03:10 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I posted about this very subject a couple of years ago. Yes it does pi55 me off and the problem is usually caused by people with kids.

When I go to the supermarket I spend a bit of time carefully selecting my parking space. I try to park with one side against a kerb and any vehicle I do park next to must not be a 4x4, Volvo, old banger or anything with child seats in it. Of course you can't legislate for who parks next to you if someone next to you leaves while you are shopping, but you can only go so far.

The two bad incidents I've had (when dents have been left in my doors) were both caused by people who parked next to me with kids in the back. Although I didn't see either incident first hand when I returned to my car it wasn't difficult to work out that the back doors of these vehicles lined up nicely with the dents and were probably caused when Mr. and Mrs. No Brains Left Cos We've Had Kids extracted their brats from the back of their vehicles.

Basically in my opinion a lot of people change their attitude towards property when they have kids, anything goes as long as their beloved children are OK!

Of course this doesn't apply to everyone (before the flaming starts).

Regards,

tiggers
Old 06 February 2002, 03:14 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I had my back bumper painted twice in the last year, it p1sses me off that people just don't care. Both times the "driver" has just driven off. Oh how I wish I could have had a "chat" with them.

Leigh (£400 lighter)
Old 06 February 2002, 03:19 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

I read the posts on this when I first bought my scoob, and was glad to learn that I wasnt the only one who got mad about this stuff.....

About 3 years ago the same thing happened to my Williams 3, the irate guy trying to stuff the shopping into his car, bumping his door repeatedly into mine whilst he got even angrier - needless to say I got a tad angry with him!

The best piece of advice I got on here was to park over the line and take up two spaces - preferably with one next to the kerb, and make sure not even a smart car can take up the other damn space. Only twice have I neglected this because I have been in a rush, and twice have I returned to a free door dent......

And don't feel bad about doing 3 laps of the car park to find a good space either!
Old 06 February 2002, 03:24 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'd already chosen a spot that took a good minutes to walk to the supermarket, in between two cars more expensive than mine. One left whilst I was inside, she must have had the same idea, stupid cow. I've got enough dings as it is without people doing it on purpose!

Steve.
Old 06 February 2002, 03:27 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

I saw a 2dr STi doing the parking over the lines trick at my local Costco - not needed since they've got twin lines separating the spaces anyway. Annoyed since I was going to park next to him but moved on. Came back out to find an Avensis had squeezed into the space, leaving not a lot of room.

2 points:

1) If you're going to do this, why park right outside the front door. Better to go to a corner of the park.
2) Remember you'll get fined if you try this anywhere you should be paying - you wouldn't be that daft would you?

I always park in the same car park in town, and there's 3 spaces I've found so far that no one can park alongside. Worth getting up 15 mins earlier.

Mike.
Old 06 February 2002, 04:34 PM
ShaggyMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I always park in the centre of two spaces in non council type car parks. It's totally selfish I know but it leaves a kin big gap either side of your car to the next!!

Chris
Old 06 February 2002, 04:44 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

1)Always try to park at the end of a line - you should only get dents on ONE side of your car! 2) Look for a spot where the cars either side are parked with their passenger doors adjacent to you - the drivers door ALWAYS opens, not always the passengers. 3)Avoid at all costs parking next to a car that has a child seat in it. 4)If the drivers seat is close to the steering wheel of the car next to you, think twice! (not sure I should have said the last one, but I`m sure you know what I mean!)
JohnD
Old 06 February 2002, 04:55 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Not long ago I chose a space next to another scooby for this very reason and when I came back to my car I found to my horror a bl@@dy dent in my rear door!!!!!!
Old 06 February 2002, 05:05 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

I remember you posting that, that's terrible

Steve.
Old 06 February 2002, 05:35 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Try and park next to 4 door cars rather than 2 doors (whether they are big BMWs or Ford Kas). 2 door cars tend to have longer doors which must be opened wider to get access and especially so if people are getting in the back.

I'll get my coat.
Old 06 February 2002, 05:43 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Old 06 February 2002, 09:49 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Glad I take the wifes Kia for these chores. If I didn't, all the dents and there are heaps, [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] would have been on the scoob! I even try to find reasonable parking for the Kia. Similar to the ones posted above cos I still care for any car no matter what make it is. I wash and polish and wax that car too. But you can't win. Other people just don't care. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] So I sacrifice the Kia for the Scoob.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 07 February 2002, 12:21 AM
funky_monk_flying
Scooby Regular

found a door ding in my my01 3 days old! but culprit was still next too me-new bm 5series ,double checked ,made sure it was definate then booted his passenger door with steel toed work boot.
had i seen the person there would have been blood i tell ya .did think of waiting around b4 steely went in but thought it would probly end up "i didn't do it ""yes u did look it matches""no it doesnt"-punch splat old bill etc.

checked at garage how much to mend "350 squid!! you are having a bubble my old mate"

have now resigned to the fact there are people who do not care and never will.

steely booter is the only way, you can't teach a dog not to **** in the house without rubbing his nose in it.
Old 07 February 2002, 12:49 AM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Presumably many of you don't have kids.

I can see the problem from both points of view. I hate the fact that my MY98 has a series of small circular dents caused by some other idiot. But I have also struggled on many an occasion with 2 young children (3 months and 3 years) to get them in and out of car seats with very limited space on each side. I avoid supermarket car parks which don't provide parent and child spaces and when I have no choice I park away from everyone else. I think that the main problem is the inadequate width of the car park spaces.

D.
Old 07 February 2002, 07:28 AM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

I pay the extra $60 per month to have a reserved parking bay in my car park and have 2 big poles on either side.
I cant get hit....
but then theres allways the supermarket.
Doh!
Old 07 February 2002, 08:24 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I park well away from the entrance of the supermrket/shop etc and always take two spaces. I don't give a crap what other people think, disregard for other people's property is probably the overiding cause for a lot of problems in the world IMHO.

Mossman
Old 07 February 2002, 08:41 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Park so close to the car on the left hand side of you that they can't open their door. No need to worry then about the left hand side, and there'll be loads of room on the right!

Seriously, it really p1sses me off to find little dents from car doors in car parks. It just boils down to the fact that few people these days seem to have respect for other peoples property.
Old 02 June 2002, 10:18 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Angry

Something that annoys the crap out of me as well
Come back to train station one night to find some lovely person had swung what I can only was a briefcase into the upper part of my front wing, of course no details left, leaving me a few notes lighter having that pulled next time the car was at the dealers

Know what you mean about spaces, I always try and get the same one, oddly somewhere along the lines some painter screwed up leaving two spaces with their edge lines painted, but a couple of foot between those edges, always park towards the gap side to avoid those lovely door swing dents

[Edited by Andrewza - 2/6/2002 10:19:34 PM]