Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it with Scooby's invoking road hoggers?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2008, 11:46 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it with Scooby's invoking road hoggers?

Last year I had 12 months of fantastic driving in my Cayman... whenever I caught up with someone on the m-way... or on A roads.. they'd usually pull over to let me pass or pull over immediatly after overtaking whatever they were passing... normal road etiquette in my books...I'd do the same....

Now I'm in an Impreza it seams that the longer they can block my route the better... with cars purposly driving in the 3rd lane with 100yards of nothing in front or to their left...for no apparent reason other than to hold me up? Now I refuse to undertake people but it's getting stupid now...

The cream of the crop being 2 motorbikes (one in each lane) riding at 40mph in a 50 and basically creating a mobile road block.... and they wonder why bikers get no respect.

So what is it with the Subaru? the bonnet scope?
Old 28 July 2008, 11:56 AM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

The boy racer image... other road users feel they have a civic duty to slow you down when they see a "boy racer" car.
Old 28 July 2008, 11:56 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poor roadcraft most times.
The amount of people who drive in the outside lane of a dual carriageway/motorway and travelling slower then the rest of the traffic ,imo, is becoming a lot more common.

Middle Lane Morons - The Offical Website "Dedicated to freeing Lane 2 from the League of Chimpions" Middle Lane Morons just one site dedicated to ,imo, incompetent drivers
Old 28 July 2008, 11:57 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
The boy racer image... other road users feel they have a civic duty to slow you down when they see a "boy racer" car.
How very true
Old 28 July 2008, 12:05 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mikkel
Must be it... too many do-gooders.. but it's the rep-mobile's that are tanking past at 100mph plus... no-one's blocking them

I had a Honda accord being an *** on the way back from Birmingham... I was in cruise and every time we caught up with him he sped up, cut in front of me..and blasted off 100 yeard up the m-way...then 2 minutes later we're overtaking him again... same result... he toe's it and shoots off... I was looking at him thinking...do you have no life?

Old 28 July 2008, 01:41 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Why not get rid of the outside lane, overtaking lane nonsense. Let people drive, overtake in whatever lane they want. Seems to work in other countries We are in the dark ages in this country.

Best one is when you drive on the inside lane and they give you the w@nker sign. Stop these silly lane rules!
Old 28 July 2008, 03:12 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Now I'm in an Impreza it seams that the longer they can block my route the better... with cars purposly driving in the 3rd lane with 100yards of nothing in front or to their left...for no apparent reason other than to hold me up? Now I refuse to undertake people but it's getting stupid now...
Count yourself lucky. There have been a couple of occasions where people have actually tried to drive me off the road when I have tried to overtake them in a completely safe and legal manner on B-roads (plenty of visability, below the speed limit, no other cars around, etc.). Both times I have had to take evasive action when they have moved across on me as I overtook. What really bothers me is ... if their drving did cause an accident, you can bet your life the Impreza driver is going to get the blame and be branded a hooligan. IMO it is the only real downside to what is otherwise an awesome car to drive.
Old 28 July 2008, 03:29 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martwrxsl
Why not get rid of the outside lane, overtaking lane nonsense. Let people drive, overtake in whatever lane they want. Seems to work in other countries We are in the dark ages in this country.

Best one is when you drive on the inside lane and they give you the w@nker sign. Stop these silly lane rules!

Good idea BUT as threads on here have proved that half the ****wit drivers in this country can't get used to the rules we already have.
Old 28 July 2008, 04:58 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

We're all 'Boy Racers' don't you know that drive Subaru Impreza's and the general public are treating us as such . Incompetency, jealousy, arrogant, ignorant or all of the above. I used to rise to it, now I ignore them on get on my way like only a Scoob can .

Wolfie.
Old 28 July 2008, 05:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Just back off about 100m and then accelerate as fast as Scoobys can at them as if you are going to run them off the road. Most seem to get out of the way before you need to put both feet on the brake pedal.

BTW for the PC amongst us this post isn't serious
Old 28 July 2008, 06:14 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

or once they've moved over, take your time overtaking them so they have to break for the next slower car in their lane...
Old 28 July 2008, 06:24 PM
tommihayes
Scooby Regular

Most of us have some pretty big bright fog lights...
Old 28 July 2008, 07:28 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

seems strange, on the motorway i usally get free roam, people move out of the way quiet alot. you do tend to get more ***** faces, in corsas racing you though.
Old 28 July 2008, 07:33 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STiFreak
Count yourself lucky. There have been a couple of occasions where people have actually tried to drive me off the road when I have tried to overtake them in a completely safe and legal manner on B-roads (plenty of visability, below the speed limit, no other cars around, etc.). Both times I have had to take evasive action when they have moved across on me as I overtook. What really bothers me is ... if their drving did cause an accident, you can bet your life the Impreza driver is going to get the blame and be branded a hooligan. IMO it is the only real downside to what is otherwise an awesome car to drive.
Yeah i've had that a good few times now. Seriously worrying....and they are the ones thinking WE must be dangerous drivers because of the fact we are driving a scoob.
Old 29 July 2008, 12:08 AM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Does anyone get people pulling into 2nd lane to let you past and then they boot it?

Agree with the TDI rep mobiles blasting along at 100mph plus, no one bats an eyelid at them. But shock horror if an impreza dares to follow suit.
Old 29 July 2008, 12:14 AM
Ved
Scooby Regular

I get more waves and smiles than grief. had a 206 full of girls waving at me last night while going home on the M1. Made me grin
Old 29 July 2008, 12:14 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
The cream of the crop being 2 motorbikes (one in each lane) riding at 40mph in a 50 and basically creating a mobile road block.... and they wonder why bikers get no respect.
the hypocrisy is killing me, so you are moaning because you think that people are treating all subaru drivers in the same poor manner because of the marque/model of car, then go on to tar all mortorbike riders with the same brush.

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Old 29 July 2008, 12:52 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

I agree with what others have said about the perceived image of the Impreza driver....under 25, no road manners, a hooligan, needs slowing down !
I'm afraid that a few 'bad ones' tarnish everyone !

JBL
Old 29 July 2008, 09:26 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
the hypocrisy is killing me, so you are moaning because you think that people are treating all subaru drivers in the same poor manner because of the marque/model of car, then go on to tar all mortorbike riders with the same brush.

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
No I'm pointing out the since getting back in an Impreza I've noticed people seam to be making an effort to hold me up.

Bikers are forever ranting on about being held up and people not giving them the space they require... (which I might add.. I do ) and then we get 2 bikes purposly holding up traffic with seamingly nothing better to do... and then the next biker down the road gets no respect as a result! Only pointing out the obvious.
Old 29 July 2008, 12:49 PM
Dowsie WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STiFreak
... if their drving did cause an accident, you can bet your life the Impreza driver is going to get the blame and be branded a hooligan.
I had this with my 2nd Scoobs, a bloke pulled out in front of me on a roundabout, causing me to slam into the side of him. The fella tried to saying I was to blame for speeding round the roundabout.....until the bloke that was travelling behind me produced his badge................don't you love off duty coppers
Old 29 July 2008, 01:35 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S3TH
Does anyone get people pulling into 2nd lane to let you past and then they boot it?

Agree with the TDI rep mobiles blasting along at 100mph plus, no one bats an eyelid at them. But shock horror if an impreza dares to follow suit.
All the time, but it doesn't make any difference unless they're driving an rs4, porsche etc... I still go past them.
Old 29 July 2008, 02:02 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dowsie WRX
I had this with my 2nd Scoobs, a bloke pulled out in front of me on a roundabout, causing me to slam into the side of him. The fella tried to saying I was to blame for speeding round the roundabout.....until the bloke that was travelling behind me produced his badge................don't you love off duty coppers
I would have paid to see the other guys face!
Old 29 July 2008, 05:02 PM
Dowsie WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
I would have paid to see the other guys face!
It was a picture

However I bet mine was worse, he'd just made me write off my pride and joy!
Old 29 July 2008, 06:10 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ved
I get more waves and smiles than grief. had a 206 full of girls waving at me last night while going home on the M1. Made me grin
Excellent.
Old 29 July 2008, 06:13 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

haha, i would have almost loved to have been you in that situation, the "i told you so" factor would have been awesome lol
Old 29 July 2008, 10:21 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Now I'm deliberately playing devil's advocate here, but would those people clogging up the outside lane be adhering to the speed limit? And would you, possibly, be wanting to break the speed limit in order to overtake them? I know good lane discipline is very important, but you don't really have a leg to stand on when you yourselves are breaking the law.

Blueblaster waits for the torrent of abuse from Scooby owners claiming they should be declared living saints for their dedication to the highway code .
Old 29 July 2008, 10:21 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

It was a picture

However I bet mine was worse, he'd just made me write off my pride and joy!
Write off??!! Sorry about that.
Old 30 July 2008, 02:58 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
Last year I had 12 months of fantastic driving in my Cayman... whenever I caught up with someone on the m-way... or on A roads.. they'd usually pull over to let me pass or pull over immediatly after overtaking whatever they were passing... normal road etiquette in my books...I'd do the same....

So what is it with the Subaru? the bonnet scope?
I find Imprezas provoke extremes. Either nearly falling off the road getting out of the way or stubbornly hold on to their lane. The classic certainly is an aggressive sight if it lopes into site in the RVM. It can be a bit of shock.

I normally rely on the posse of repmobiles to clear the blockage. I pull over, they tailgate Mr stubborn and he pulls over, I rejoin the peleton at a safe place.

J.