UK Turbo 2000 - suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2008, 11:16 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK Turbo 2000 - suspension mods

Hi people,

Done a lot of reading on here, but still don't have a good answer to the following so I will ask in here.

Have just got myself a Classic UK Turbo that is absolutely standard (see View my Scooby for proof of just how standard LOL!).

Ultimately I want to make it go a bit quicker but before I do that I want to make it handle a little better and stop a bit faster. Have bought a Brembo setup to sort the braking once I get some 17" wheels on it of course, but am a bit stuck with the suspension.

I want to lower the car a little for aesthetic reasons as well as handling and think I should probably change the struts at the same time, but what to?

I want the car to be a good usable road car and don't want it to ride like a go-kart, but would still like it to be a respectable track tool as well.

What struts would you recommend and what else should I do - ARBs etc.

Please keep in mind I want the car to ride OK on the wonderful UK roads

TIA
Old 23 July 2008, 11:45 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Many peeps are using TEIN Kits as these can be adjusted to suit both worlds. If your on a budget have a look at Jap Performance Parts : Home.

Or go bonkers and go to Scooby Clinic, Powerstation, RC Performance, TSL.

Or try the traders and fit them yourself, then get the alignment done, it's not difficult but some of the more high tech adjustable stuff is.

ARB's/Strut Barces etc are a real big area and your better off seeking advice from an expert garage. I have loads of Whiteline stuff on my Scoob but TSL have started doing Perrin stuff which is also pretty good.

You could go all out and get Genuine STi stuff from Powersupply as well.

Some 17's won't fit over BREMBO's so check the ET before buying or get advice. Newage STi 17's alloys fit and the PCD is the same as a Classic.

PS. The car is a fecking stunning example of an unmolested Scoob.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 23 July 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 23 July 2008, 11:45 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 bits worth :

Solid rear drop links {whiteline}
Uprated adjustable rear anti roll bar {whiteline}
Anti lift kit {whiteline}
Front strut brace
Toyo tyres all round or similar quality
Full 4 wheel laser setup

I used to have Tein coilovers fitted, but I removed them as being to harsh with potholes in my area. So now using standard shocks with Whilteline springs.

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 23 July 2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 23 July 2008, 11:52 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens

My setup (MY00 classic)
Standard dampers
Eibach springs
uprated rear ARB (Whiteline)
Solid rear drop links (Whiteline)
Anti LIft kit (Whiteline)
Solid front drop links (Whiteline)
Full 4 wheel laser setup
Really improved the handling, although the front droplinks do mean I get more vibration through the steering column. You get used to it though.
Oh, and I've found that the standard 16" wheels actually ride better on UK roads than 17s
Old 23 July 2008, 12:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Before you go fiddling with bigger sway bars etc.. make sure the fundamentals i.e. springs and struts are in good nick.

If you want a good road and track set up that won't break the bank. Try Tein's superstreet coilovers or ASTs.

Ns04
Old 23 July 2008, 01:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Many peeps are using TEIN Kits as these can be adjusted to suit both worlds. If your on a budget have a look at Jap Performance Parts : Home.

Or go bonkers and go to Scooby Clinic, Powerstation, RC Performance, TSL.

Or try the traders and fit them yourself, then get the alignment done, it's not difficult but some of the more high tech adjustable stuff is.

ARB's/Strut Barces etc are a real big area and your better off seeking advice from an expert garage. I have loads of Whiteline stuff on my Scoob but TSL have started doing Perrin stuff which is also pretty good.

You could go all out and get Genuine STi stuff from Powersupply as well.

Some 17's won't fit over BREMBO's so check the ET before buying or get advice. Newage STi 17's alloys fit and the PCD is the same as a Classic.

PS. The car is a fecking stunning example of an unmolested Scoob.
Thanks for your advice and yes she is rather nice and unmolested hence why any mods I do need to be the right ones.

I think I will have a look at Tein and AST springs and struts first and get one or the other fitted and then like you say seek some 1 to 1 advice on ARBs etc. Any ideas how to find out what the ride heiaght drop will be on either Teins or ASTs. Don't want to go too far here LOL!

Agree about 17s and the Brembos and I believe even the ET isn't enough as it can depend on the spoke arrangement. I am looking at Inovit Redlines so will ahve to try and find out whether they will clear the Brembos before buying obviously.

Thanks again.
Old 23 July 2008, 01:08 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for you input so far, keep it coming
Old 23 July 2008, 02:24 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Thanks for your advice and yes she is rather nice and unmolested hence why any mods I do need to be the right ones.

I think I will have a look at Tein and AST springs and struts first and get one or the other fitted and then like you say seek some 1 to 1 advice on ARBs etc. Any ideas how to find out what the ride heiaght drop will be on either Teins or ASTs. Don't want to go too far here LOL!

Agree about 17s and the Brembos and I believe even the ET isn't enough as it can depend on the spoke arrangement. I am looking at Inovit Redlines so will ahve to try and find out whether they will clear the Brembos before buying obviously.

Thanks again.
Drop on Coilovers is adjustable. Tein SuperStreets is 25mm as std IIRC. I wouldn't go too much more than that lest it adversely affect the handling and ground clearence etc...

Ns04
Old 23 July 2008, 03:20 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Eibachs and STi struts drop about 25mm too and where a great combo on my Newage.
Old 23 July 2008, 05:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Do be aware that once you get the Brembos on, the OE spacesaver wheel will NOT clear them, so if you have a puncture........

Alcazar