Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a scooby such much more fun than a hot hatch????? Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2008, 11:25 AM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes a scooby such much more fun than a hot hatch????? Opinions please

I have never owned a hot hatch and was recently thinking of maybe swaping to the clio sport as after alot of debate they sound like they are good cars too, and would give many a scooby a run for it's money on the twisties.... However people keep reffering to how much more fun a scooby is to a hot hatch. So I ask people who have owned both.. What makes a scooby so much more fun compared to a hot hatch or vice versa????? im sure this could be a good debate....
Old 05 July 2008, 11:35 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You can use a Scooby as a Taxi, a hot hatch would probably be too small

Old 05 July 2008, 11:40 AM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

I bet thats an expensive taxi
Old 05 July 2008, 11:46 AM
uksouljahz
Scooby Regular

Better cornering without feeling like your squashed into a tin can that if it crashed you would die. Quicker acceleration! Smoother handling.The flat four burble! Jap reliability. More smiles per mile! The way that a scooby turns heads when you drive down the road and with a clio it hardly happens at all. ummm...
Old 05 July 2008, 11:49 AM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

Handling has been a good plus for hot hatches as far as ive read, especially the clio
Old 05 July 2008, 11:50 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I'm getting on a bit (alright quite a lot LOL !)

My days of wheel-spinning out of T-junctions on anything but bone-dry tarmac are a decade behind me.... much as I loved my Golf MKII 16V, it was a handful in the wet, also had a 2.0 V6 Mazda 323F which was a suprise, handled like a (giant) go-cart on sticky Yokohamas, same traction problem tho'...

Classic Scooby was a little quicker up to 100 mph, but the grip and traction in the wet were SO awesome, I was hooked.

The only down side is that you need STUPID levels of power to get the "fear factor" back, mine rarely wakes me up, but it's ballistic really.

So in conclusion, old and boring, tired of torque steer and wheel spin....

That just me !

DunxC

P.S. I my day a hot-hatch had about 150 bhp ( see above ! ) however they are up around 200 bhp std now.... Gulp !

Last edited by dunx; 05 July 2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05 July 2008, 02:18 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

The closest thing I've ever had to a hot hatch was a Rover 214SE , but I agree with Dunx. It's the 4WD grip, plus the performance, in a standard saloon sized car that has kept me buying Scoobys. The 1st one was for the novelty factor, but now I can't imagine not having an AWD/4WD of some sort. Whenever I drive a hire car, I always end up fighting with the front wheel drive, especially in the wet.
Old 05 July 2008, 02:22 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

It's the 4wd, massive grip and huge acceleration that make the Scoobs mind numbingly boring to drive. The Clio will be more nimble, more involving and so much more fun you won't know what's hit you.
Old 05 July 2008, 02:30 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

in the dry ... again ... UK Awd any day
Old 05 July 2008, 02:42 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davmcc75
I have never owned a hot hatch and was recently thinking of maybe swaping to the clio sport as after alot of debate they sound like they are good cars too, and would give many a scooby a run for it's money on the twisties.... However people keep reffering to how much more fun a scooby is to a hot hatch. So I ask people who have owned both.. What makes a scooby so much more fun compared to a hot hatch or vice versa????? im sure this could be a good debate....
It depends what you regard as fun?

The most `Fun` car I've ever owned was a 106 GTI. You could just throw it into corners at silly speeds, it would 4 wheel drift with absolute ease, and driven within it's limits it handled/cornered like it was on rails. I scared a few much more powerful and expensive cars on back roads with just my little humble shopping trolley.

The Impreza? Well again there is fun to be had with absolute traction when exiting a corner, and the fun to be had with just the sheer overtaking punch of the engine.

The Impreza though is a heavy old girl compared to the 106GTI's, Clio 172/182's so they're not anyway near as chuckable as a little hot hatch is.

If someone said to me, here are the keys to both cars but you can only take one out for a couple of hour to just have fun with........

I'd take the 106 GTI.
Old 05 July 2008, 03:02 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

i would trade my scoob for a s2 106 rallye again, was awesome little car!!!

slightly down on power to a gti as it's an 8v, windy windows, no air-con/abs/power steering etc

just the pleasure of driving, bit like riding a 2-stroke, keep it revving, high corner speeds those were the days!

still like me scoob, but as has been said you get used to the grip and it sort of 'dilutes' the fun

but then is a tiny car that aint half as practical or comfy, the grass is always greener...........
Old 05 July 2008, 03:13 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

i have a saxo vts as MY 2nd car it feels so chuckable cause its so slow compared to the scooby dont get it twisted its fun on dual carrigae ways and on the twesties its so managable witch makes it great LITTEL ROCKET.clio im not too sure hate the driven position on them cars where im from youl ask your renault TO GO it will tell you NO.LOL THE V6 VERSION HOWEVER SEEMS INTRESTING TO AN EXTENT BUT FOR A 3LTR SURLEY YOU WOULD EXPECT MORE POWER.I DONT CARE IF IT NATURALY ASPIRATED AS MUCH AS I HATE THE M3 3.2 LTR 340BHP THE CLIO well lets not go there. the v6 does look nice with air ducks in the back but inside it looks the same as a 2ltr.what about integra type r ive owned to of them and in my ownership never had a problem with neither apart from cjanging a bulb witch only cost me a quid, gurnteed to make you smile and would suprise a lot of cars out there including the wrxs maybe not in launch but midrange.and there econmical man i think i mite just buy another one.LOL
Old 05 July 2008, 03:24 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

LOL

I started with a Hillman Imp, 750 kg, four wheel drum brakes and 42 bhp..... then 68 bhp.... then 112 bhp ! ! !

But the thing was sorted to handle, virtually never drifted it, but I would get 50 miles up to North Yorkshire to watch Mikkola et al and I'd be exhausted. Did Hull to Brighton and back in a day in my old Catalunya, and was only a bit tired.

I'm obviously TOO old to get a hot hatch today, but a £5K Type-R coupe would be nice !

DunxC