Sponsored by:

Mailfunction on the M3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2002, 12:22 AM
ollyshorey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Everytime I used to drive my old BMW down the M3 from the M25 Junction (2) to the A322 (3), I sometimes thought my steering was playing up.

However drove down there tonight in my scoob, and also had a very vague 5 minutes from the steering.

Am I being paranoid, or has anyone else noticed this.

Its about 4 miles before the turnoff, and normally in the fast lane.

It feels as if the car isnt attached to the road properly.

Has the M3 got a problem ?

Old 04 February 2002, 07:53 AM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

I've had moments like that on certain roads. I think its to do with wear on the road and then how the car reacts to it and gets pulled by the road surface.
Old 04 February 2002, 08:29 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

The MY99 wheels (16inch) seem to tramline..

Get on a motorway where lorries sit in the inside lane a lot and it is a fight to keep it straight.. left wheel wants to drop into the left rut and right wheels want to drop into the right rut..
quite often the ruts are not even visible... but in the outside lane it is fine... (nice excuse, sorry officer but I had to do 95 in the outside lane as it tramlines in the inside lane, only kidding).

Haven't been along the M3 for while.. don't plan to until April (No I am not sad and plan visits to motorways, I travel down to Devon every so often), so I cannot help with the M3 but I would suspect it is just the surface...
Old 04 February 2002, 08:34 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

I've experienced this many a time in my MY99 - apparently its to do with the tires (which perform crap on a bad road) - it feels as though the car is barely touching the ground...
Old 04 February 2002, 09:26 AM
ollyshorey
Scooby Regular

It's definatly not tramlines. It is in the fast lane where you dont normally get lorries.

Another thing, It's been like this for at leat 3 years, so I dont think it's due to road wear.

Thinking about it I also get the same problem in my 1.2 Corsa SXi so I dont think it's the tyres either.

??????????????????????? Weird ????????????????????
Old 04 February 2002, 09:46 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

That is very weird, but I think there must be a scientific explanation.

Many people who experienced the same phenomenon did say that a change in tires makes a difference - I mean I have experienced this on outer lanes of dual carriageways and it scared the cr4p outta me - I seriously thought the car would lose contact with the ground.

Does it get worse the faster you drive? Mine was more prominent during fast acceleration...
Old 04 February 2002, 10:22 AM
ollyshorey
Scooby Regular

Dont know about acelerating through it, normally doing about 75Mph, and it generally makes me slow down.

Old 04 February 2002, 11:10 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've found that - just got my MY98 on Wednesday last week and there are a few roads that make it pull, but I think it's to do with the road and not the car (as it happened in three different cars?!). I drove the old Corsa down the lane I have a problem with here everyday and didn't notice it as much, so maybe the tyres just exaggerate the problem?

(Glad to hear it's not just my Scoob ;-))

Often hidden patching (where they tarmac a bit of the road) or tiny indentations/sinking/problems benith the first(top) surface can cause a problem (according to the people here in the Highways office in Hampshire!).

Anyway, driving up the M3 on saturday so I'll check it out if that's any help!

[Edited by Jen - 2/4/2002 11:11:38 AM] ('cos I can never the the smilies right !)

[Edited by Jen - 2/4/2002 11:12:17 AM]