Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my story of my terzo and my thanks to JGM.

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2008, 09:59 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my story of my terzo and my thanks to JGM.

I thought i may aswell share my experience with the car I have always wanted, so here goes.

I bought the car in Feb 2004 after wanting one as soon as I could legally drive. The last owner was my ex manager therefore knew that it was well looked after and at time I thought it was worth every penny of my £12.5K.

Drove the car sensibly for 6 months, then one night ended up in a light front end smash, scince that day I had her parked up for the best part of two years in my garage due to having a company car.

Recently I decided to get her back up and running as I have scince then left my job and therefore had to give up the company car aswell.

1 new bumper, 2 new headlights, 2 new sidelights, and 2 new indicators later car was ready to be recovered my a very good mate of mine who agreed to service and MOT her ready for the open road again.

Lee serviced the engine, and went to start the engine, only to find no fuel pressure. Called GGR and ordered a 255lph fuel pump, (thanks Chris and Andy for your help).
Fitted the fuel pump and she started...............and uh oh, very bad misfire and backfiring. Lee suggested that it could be the map on the GEMS not liking the lower rated fuel pump, I agreed with that and was on the phone to GGR again to find a higher rated fuel pump. 10 mins later Lee was on the phone and told me that the engine caught fire due to oil cooler pipes bursting... eeeeeeeeeeek panic mode.

Phoned Andy at GGR and ordered new hoses and fittings for the cooler, 3 days later and all seems good, apart from the constant backfiring.

After the advice given to me by JGM and others on here suggested that the GEMS may need a map or need to be replaced, I opted to have the new generation Simtek installed by Simon.

Simon came down today(thanks for all your help mate) to fit the ECU, and the problem was still there.

After digging deeper the conclusion was that it needs new IGN leads, new coil pack and possibly new injectors as its running on 3 cylinders.

latest on the car is that I am in the process of sourcing the above parts to get the car running smoothly.

Finally Simon, again thankyou for your help and advice on the issue mate, I'm just sorry that you couldn't go away knowing the car is perfect due to the ignition issues, I know you said it wasn't a waste of time but I feel that I have wasted your time and for that I do appologise. As soon as the parts I have sourced are fitted I hope that you will be prepared to come and do me a final map.

I'll keep this diary updated, as I think it can help with newbies wanting a impreza, as to some issues that can arise and who to contact to speak to about information and guidence on how to keep your impreza running as sweet as a nut.

Jay
Old 16 June 2008, 10:22 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Hope you get it sorted matey, I used to love the Terzos!
Old 06 July 2008, 07:32 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

right guys the latest on the car coming back on the road is, i have ordered from work some K1 leads from Kerr Nelson, 1st set I ordered was part no KN334 which turned out to be wrong in 2 ways, female ends for the coil end(wrong) and 1 of the coil ends was completely wrong.
Sent the KN334's back after being told by Kerr Nelson that they were for engine code EJ205.
Now I ordered some KN333's as that is the only option available turns out that I need the ones that fit an EJ20-G due to having male ends on the coil.

Also ordered a SL series induction kit and hard piping from Powertec, got to fit that somehow in the wing or as close to the front behind the umper as possible. (least one part out of the two were correct).

There was also some bad news from Lee my mechanic...... he randomly asked me what version my bumper was, I asked why and he said some delivery driver backed into it.

Luckily his company have to pay for a new one so not so bad, just delaying the final map now. When will the tourture end.

More will be updated at the end of the week, will also post some pics of the new parts on here.

Jay
Old 15 July 2008, 08:47 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

right as promised some pictures

1st pic waiting for JGM to fit ecu

2nd pic the new leads and coil pack

3rd pic the new induction kit

4th pic, damage after fire

5th pic the cause of the fire

Last edited by impreza_terzo3_no257; 15 July 2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 15 July 2008, 08:55 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

more updates, lee phoned to say the leads are fitted and coil is on, but now its not firing but is just popping and banging, there defo is a spark though?!?!?!? so i called simon(jgm) and left a message for him to call me as Lee suggested that Simon himself come and start the car and finish the map off.

now its a waiting game for simon to call.

1 thing after another with the car, getting on my nerves now, but hold on jay patience stay calm aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhh!!!

lol

Will update further when I hear something.
Old 24 July 2008, 10:47 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

Default update, and power question

Right latest news, the engine will still not fire, tried starting it with no further fuel going into the engine and it still would not fire. Still investigating this.

Ive now sold the GEMS and got myself some 440cc injectors, not the way i wanted to go but one of the denso 550cc's has a internal leak from what Lee says so they need replacing.

Question is how much power can i expect with 440cc injectors?

Any ideas?

Jay
Old 24 July 2008, 11:04 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice to see another Terzo

Looks like a very tidy one as well.

Having front bumper resprayed and a few other bits tidied up at the moment. Bloody stone chips!
Anyway, I'll put post a photo or two in this thread after I pick it up on saturday.

Alan
Old 24 July 2008, 11:08 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

sweet nice one Alan be nice to see another one.
Old 25 July 2008, 03:27 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by impreza_terzo3_no257
Right latest news, the engine will still not fire, tried starting it with no further fuel going into the engine and it still would not fire. Still investigating this.

Ive now sold the GEMS and got myself some 440cc injectors, not the way i wanted to go but one of the denso 550cc's has a internal leak from what Lee says so they need replacing.

Question is how much power can i expect with 440cc injectors?

Any ideas?

Jay
440cc injectors - 330~340bhp.. roughly..

cannot remember what turbo you have fitted? and therefore wether it will exceed that

the injector leak would make sense as fuelling was a little random when I saw the car.. althogh with a HT lead end missing and swapped from my own car for a test it was not possible to be sure whether plug was fouled or injector leaking..

Simon
Old 25 July 2008, 09:29 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Jay, how much were the leads and coilpack if you dont mind me asking, i think i might replace mine before it's mapped. (where did you get them from too)

i too can feel your pain & frustration !!!! i had a leaking O ring on one of my 550's that emptied the fuel tank into the sump on a short run once it had been put back together.
Then it failed the MOT on emissions as it was running way too rich.
Then the gearbox decided to spray gearbox fluid all over the clutch/flywheel and then the rest fo the engine.
etc etc etc.

Some time you just want to cry and then sell the car, but the sound of the car on song when it's all sorted is worth all of the pain.

PS> Simon was my saviour too, he should wear his pants on the ouside of his trousers along with a cape
Old 25 July 2008, 10:09 AM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

Simon, i think its a TD05 16G, id be happy with 340 i think, would of been nice to be round 400bhp but we cant have it all now can we? I know what you mean about the HT but I still can't figure out why its not starting at all now. Hopefully new injectors will sort it.

Minty, the coil pack was £151, and the leads were £60, i got them through work so I can get them for you if you want, just PM me if you intrested.
I know what you mean mate, ive had to spend around £3K in parts and its still not running, but hopefully the tables are turned.

Jay
Old 27 July 2008, 05:50 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Well thats my car back from the painters, so here's the photos I said i'd put up.

Next step is the wheels are going to be getting a refurb.

Alan
Old 27 July 2008, 06:26 PM
Scooby23
Scooby Regular

Thought i seen this car on ebay recently???
Old 27 July 2008, 06:29 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby23
Thought i seen this car on ebay recently???
Cant be this one, I've had it for the best part of a year and certainly wouldnt be buying a car off fleebay.
Old 27 July 2008, 07:01 PM
ericsti
Scooby Regular

Did you get the car running right. I take it you didn't drive her to much so it may be a stupid question but sometimes the smallthings can be over looked.
Did you empty the Tank and but fresh fuel into it?
The fuel in the tank could be durty (gone off) after sitting in the tank for over two years. Maybe.

As I said sometimes small detail can be missed.

Eric.
Old 27 July 2008, 07:51 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Have to say the car looks great .. but even more so the place you live .. wow ... I'd love to have fields around me !!
Old 27 July 2008, 09:30 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

you paid £12500 for it? what year is it?

james
Old 28 July 2008, 09:55 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

eric, nope still waiting on injectors and seals to come through, so they can be installed. Still a waiting game unfortunatley.

James, Yup 12.5K bit crazy but the car was spotless and i knew about the history of the car before i bought it so that sort of put my heart on it. Its a 98 R plate.
Old 28 July 2008, 10:03 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

Default more pics

right show us your terzo's, nice one alan for yours looks minter than mint mate

On lee's lowloader

Old 28 July 2008, 10:18 PM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is my Terzo no 306

picture taken on the isle of syke

Old 29 July 2008, 09:39 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil XR
here is my Terzo no 306

picture taken on the isle of syke

Nice and original!

Jay - that is a serious looking set of brakes you've got there. That will be one of my next ventures...after the apexi ecu and map done by Andy Forrest(who is only about 25 miles from me )

Alan
Old 29 July 2008, 09:57 PM
xdave
Scooby Regular

hey , heres mine aswell , sorry for jumping in on your thread .. no. 003

Last edited by xdave; 29 July 2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: forgot no.
Old 30 July 2008, 08:14 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

Alan, yeah mate they are 345mm AP racing discs with 6 pots, only downside to that is you can't have 17's on as the discs don't clear in the inside of the wheel, so you have to have 18's. I might put the superleggeras up for sale soon, and get some ultraleggeras. If you do go down the route of 345mm discs and need some 18's let me know and i'll work something out for you.

Dave, 003 nice one still loving those wheels, what splitter is that?

Neil, nice and original totally agree with that mate. You going to colour code the skirts, mirrors and mirrors off? that will finish a tru icon. Nice to see a later one, haven't seen a later one down this way.

I need a splitter, something different like a JUN style one as i want the number plate on the splitter. Problem is that i can't find one for the later bumper .

Wonder whats happend to terzo no.001 be nice to see where that is.

Jay

Last edited by impreza_terzo3_no257; 30 July 2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: forgot to say thanks to neil
Old 23 August 2008, 06:03 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

right may aswell update this thread, then injectors arrived only to find that they are 5mm to wide in diameter.
After doing a bit of research and speaking to the last owner it turns out that the engine had uk spec version 5 heads, and the injectors i got are for a v4 DOH!!!!!!!
Hopefully i source the injectors quickley as I'm getting a bit fustrated with the car lol. Don't help when you don't have any paperwork to support the conversion carried out on the engine.
Will update further once injectors are sourced.

Jay
Old 24 August 2008, 03:31 PM
D.O.M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by impreza_terzo3_no257
right show us your terzo's, nice one alan for yours looks minter than mint mate

On lee's lowloader

Very nice, liking the steering wheel too
Old 26 August 2008, 04:36 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

cheers boobiman.
Still looking for injectors, why oh why did the last owner have to use uk spec v5 heads i'll never know.

Jay
Old 10 November 2008, 10:54 PM
impreza_terzo3_no257
Scooby Regular

right been a while, but i have to put my hands up to simon the guy is amaziing, lee couldn't figure the problem but simon could and got it in a state where lee managed to pass an mot on it.
Just waiting now for the bodyshop to complete thier work then i got to meet up with simon so he can do a live map on it.

what a relif about that.