Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone else had anything like this happen.

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2002, 03:57 PM
Elvis Presley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I see the difference being that Scoob drivers buy the car because they enjoy driving (usually fast).

Porsche drivers "usually" buy the car to be flash. It is "usually" not bought as a drivers car, and therefore the drivers are usually not so into their driving and probably not so skilled.

Then again, what do I know? I've been dead for 20 odd years.

Sorry: Just edited to say at least my first car (capri) had all the weight up front (no jokes about lightweight 1.6 pls), so getting the back out wasn't a problem.

[Edited by Elvis Presley - 2/1/2002 4:06:39 PM]
Old 01 February 2002, 10:53 AM
Nikko2
Scooby Regular

Red face

Last night about 22:30 whilst taking *Cino* home some silly fool in an old BMW 325 showed me what he had away from the lights on the local expressway. I then cruised up behind him at 70ish. At the next roundabout he went haring off and overtook a van I didnt have good visibility so stayed behind the van. As me and the van approach the next roundabout I see headlights pointing at me then not. The silly geezer had lost it on the approach and spun onto the verge. When he had it pointing the right way again I overtook him a little further down the road. He looked ok but had obviously scared himself silly.

tut tut tut.
Old 01 February 2002, 11:22 AM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine did this in his BoxterS, when being chased hard by yours truly ...

Lost it on the aproach to a roundabout on the r - road in Oxford.
Luckily there were three free lanes to perform this manover in, but just as you said a complete 360 and still managed to wheelspin when pointing in the right direction ...

Not recommended however...
Old 01 February 2002, 11:28 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Had a similar thing happen to me. I was waiting at a red light in the nearside lane with about half a dozen cars behind me, the right hand lane was a right filter only. Suddenly this red Porka 911 came screeching to a halt on the outside of me, the guy looked like he was in a bit of a hurry. I had a bad feeling as the lights turned amber and held back from accelerating away, good job I did as Mr Porsche planted his right foot heavily, the wheels span (it was damp) the tail flicked one way then the other then back again then the plonker lost it completely, span 180, hit the kerb side on, bounced up it (ouch...alloys...ouch) and ended up sitting on the grass verge facing me looking a combination of shocked and very embarrassed, the whole thing was an absolutely beautiful display of how to lose a car and make yourself look a total nobber in front of a queue of people, how I chuckled good job I held back tho' as it could have been very nasty if I'd tried to race him

Sal
Old 01 February 2002, 11:36 AM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Angry

don't hammer it on the road much these days as I'm too worried about losing my license. However, on a number of occassions I have experienced the following:

2 lanes approaching tight right or left hander, scoob goes round like it's on rails, other vehicle that's trying to overtake/have a go, has ploughed straight on into a) ditch, b) gravel or c) tree.

Late breaking and carrying speed through roundabouts is also another area of concern.

It would appear that too many inexperienced drivers cling to our rears (!) expecting to carry speed through the twisties and not realising the potential/handling of the car they are following.
Old 01 February 2002, 11:37 AM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Sal,

What is it about Porsches do you think... Is it the drivers or the cars ??? For what are supposidly the most "complete driving package" they do seem to have a lot of issues.

The aforementioned friend, soon chopped in the Boxster for a TVR Tuscan, in his own words " at least I 'll know when the back end is going to step out, when I plant my right foot! " I think the porker had an air of invinsibility, I suppose a little like the Scoob however without the 4WD. Once you turn that little traction thingy switch off, they seem to turn into a BMW in the wet !!!

Regards,

P

PS - Sorry for hijacking the thread !
Old 01 February 2002, 11:45 AM
Seamus
Scooby Regular

Sorry for thread hi-jack2, I had a Boxster and you couldn't make it get out of shape in the slightest with "Porsche Stability Control" on. Switch it off (or don't specify it) then it's your own fault if it all goes wrong.

The "ASC" button in our old Bimmer was fondly called the Aaarghhh S&*t, Crash" button, because it's what happened when it was pressed..

Old 01 February 2002, 11:46 AM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oops,

Forgot to mention another one, when working in Croydon a few years ago at CGU.. we were on the 5th floor and heard a large screeching and a bang.

Looked outside and a guy in a F355 Spyder ( what it was doing in Croydon - beats me ) with his little kid in babyseat, to make it worse - had obviously floored it off the lights and had manged to spin it across from the middle lane, in front of the traffic in the inside land and put it backwards into the barrier, the fire had to pull it off and made a real mess at the same time !!

He HA

I have some more, but my poetic decriptive writing is missing this morning ! Hangover from hell - Ooops another thread!!!

Regards,

P
Old 01 February 2002, 11:51 AM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Seamus,

I agree totally ... The only thing that he did wrong was to approach it far too quick, and then get on the brakes late so the back end got light and tried to steer into across the r-bout, as opposed to driving straight over - if you see what I mean ie: power down and take the straight line....

Tuscan is altogether a different kettle .. Scoob and Boxster, OKish match - Tuscan Vs Bike not Scoob !!!
Old 01 February 2002, 11:54 AM
spender
Scooby Regular

There's a place near me that restores and services supercars, so every now and then the usual exotica is seen being taken for 'road test' by the people who work there.
I was sitting waiting to join a large open roundabout one day and this bright yellow lambo enters the roundabout to my right and exits to me left.........backwards in a cloud of tyre smoke.
When the smoke had cleared he was stopped with the rear up the kerb about six inches away from the armco.
I sat there smiling at him as he sheepishly clumped down the kerb and rejoined the roundabout against an ever increasing queue of cars.
Old 01 February 2002, 12:11 PM
golfturbo
Scooby Regular

Didn't a TOP GEAR guy spin a Lambo a couple of minutes after picking it up, on his way to droping it off with Jeremey Clarkson
Old 01 February 2002, 12:18 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Porshce's are tail happy due to the fundamental design flaw of having engines sitting over rear axles!
Old 01 February 2002, 12:21 PM
MW1
Scooby Regular

I had a Boxster S and you could lose quite easily in the wet but as mentioned earlier its driver error and knowing the limitations of the car.
Old 01 February 2002, 12:36 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

A couple of weeks before christmas I behind a 911, waiting to turn out onto the east lancs. Off he sets, basically turning right onto a wet dual carriageway, and he planted it a little too much. The back end fishtailed one way, then the other way into the second lane, then back again despite him having come off the throttle almost straight away (had the window down so I could hear him boot it) before straightening up and sheepishly trundling off down the lancs at a very sedate pace. Whether he was trying to impress someone or the car just caught him out I don't know, but he was lucky not to smack anything.

On a seperate occasion a friend of mine was commuting into manchester on his RSV-Mille and was filtering between the two lanes down regent road. Mr 911 with his girlfriend in the passenger seat decides that if he's stuck in traffic everyone else should be, so he pulls across matey's path at the last minute, almost causing a collision. Matey gives him a bit of verbal and the bloke gives him the 'to55er' sign in return, before starting to shout abuse - not a good idea normally as my mate is a big lad and an ex-sergeant. Anyhow a gap opens up and matey goes round the porker and carries on as usual. Porker cuts someone up to get in the gap and, now beside an artic wagon, plants it to try to catch my mate. Back end steps out, tw@ts the side of the wagon, huge repair bill.

My view on porkers is that they have many peculiar traits, more so than just about any car I can think of. Very easy to catch out an unaware driver, or one who just doesn't have a clue how to handle it.

Whip
Old 01 February 2002, 12:52 PM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Wink

Good Story...

Ok here goes,

Porsches are incredably well built car, we all know this - however the only downside is that the weight is up in general...
Combine this with irregular weight distribution, a lot of power and a heavy right foot and it could be a tricky combination...

Does this heighten the driving experience or lessen it..

My opinion is that to really get to know a car and thus fully appreciate the experience, you have to work with all its traits, however once these are known, combining them with you own style is what we all love....

The good ol' porsche is one of those cars that always get better and better the more you know about it ..

Now as good as the Scooby is, if we are fair the majority oif people can drive them quick... But where do that extra dimension come from to get another level of driving, or is the joy in just being able to blast it day after day knowing you are pretty safe..

People talk about driving within the limits of the car, a porsche will continue to expand it limits as you know it better - Does a Impreza expand its ????

Answers on a postcard - please move this to a new thread if you so wish..

Regards,

P

My apologies for tarnishing all Porkers with the same
Old 01 February 2002, 02:14 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Following an Elise (nice bright orange one to attract lots of attention) off a roundabout one day on the way to work - he boots it (obvioulsy saw me following), the road's wet and the tarmac at this place is somewhat rippled. Lovely oversteer one way, then back it comes the other way, and back again, just missing, alternately, the on-coming traffic and the kerb. I did have to laugh to myself as I was wondering what all the fuss was about. We were only doing about 15 mph...
Old 01 February 2002, 02:21 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Not exactly, but I have been the fishtailing idiot in my old RA - although it had a lot to do with the bloody awful Avon ZZR tyres on that car - booted it uphill on a damp ( but unexpectedly slippery surface - those bloody tyres again) and fishtailed happily a couple of times before bringing it under control. Lucky it was a very wide road.....
Old 01 February 2002, 02:24 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked at a 1989 911 before getting my Terzo. Glad I made the right choice, I am absolutely NOT a skilled driver (as my new nearside front on the Terzo would prove). I still wonder if I should get a 911, as "everyone" seems to think they are so good, but I bear in mind a phrase I read recently, "the weight distribution of a sledgehammer".

I will acknowledge my faults and continue with my plans for a WRX.

BJH
ps lmao@ASC button!
Old 01 February 2002, 04:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

hey Elvis, thanks for that. Should have told my brother when, some 17 years ago, he lost his 2.0 GT round a corner in the wet and put it through a Chinese restaurant in Edgeware. Still on the cover note of the insurance at the time

Ah, the laughs we had at his expense.

"I'll have a no. 38 please."
"Yes sah, just coming lound the colner now!"

and

"Waiter, there's a Capri in my soup!"

Old 01 February 2002, 05:23 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

just before christmas - I was heading out on the M4 early in the morning - a burgundy porka came onto the M4 in the opposite direction from the sliproad and must have had a lead right foot as the tail came rough out, left-right-left-right - bang! into the armco.

its a wonder that anyone buys 911s.

rapiddescent
wrx wagon
Old 01 February 2002, 05:49 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

mind u the scoob aint infalable as i found out other day in da wet when i managed to perform a 360 booting it round a fat roundabout! Good thing was it was controlled, who am i kidding, & didn't hit owt so time 4 sum decent tyres & a chill pill 4 now
Si
Old 01 February 2002, 08:25 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bloke in a yellow Porsche (923 I think) did the same thing outside my house overtaking a dustbin truck - lost it under acceleration, just missed my car on the drive and took out my nieghbours tree and both his cars. I would have liked to have see that claim form, especially since it's a quiet residential cul-de-sac with a 30mph limit.
Old 01 February 2002, 09:27 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

I have noticed this a few times also, when i and Shark stop at lights, if nexted to us is young boy racer or a other fast car,
for some reason they want to race you over the lights.
(So Sad) why do every young boy in there little mod car think they can race a scooby.

chel xxx
Old 04 February 2002, 01:35 PM
Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Back to the original post (which I've only just come across)... I was coming back home, through the bottom of Buckingham a couple of weeks back - late evening, dark, damp. Lots of roundabouts. D-reg 325 in front of me with 4-5 lads in - lots of traffic, so he slows coming up to roundabouts, then boots it a bit round the corner. Anyway, coming off one roundabout he's a bit slow so I pass him without any difficulty. Next roundabout (a mile or two up) he comes up close behind me. I cruise round the roundabout (not quickly - too busy). He does the 'back off, boot it round thing' and as I watch in my rear view mirror, he executes a perfect 180 degree slide on the exit Ends up plum across the exit road with a nice queue of annoyed traffic behind him on the roundabout! Thankfully all very slow (10-15mph) stuff but it amused me all the same

Just wondered if it was the same car

Richard