Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil question now risking it with an induction kit question ....

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2008, 01:46 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil question now risking it with an induction kit question ....

Simple question on induction kits ...

is the basic premise and the reason why they are not suggested generally that you will have a natural increase in intake temprature negating the benefits of increased airflow ... (assmuing it's mapped accordingly).

I ask this because I'm always reading you don't "need" induction ..... I don't need a fkin expensive subaru but I still love it

So in a perfect world you would have an induction kit but (if possible) with the same air temps as the std air box ... ? ?? ?? ??

.... as before ... dont hurt me ....
Old 04 June 2008, 01:49 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I'd go for an induction kit with a cold air feed (from inner wing etc). You can always plumb your aircon into the filter intake saps a bit of power but air temps are good
Old 04 June 2008, 01:52 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

I'm actually looking at one of these .....

but not here for a barny LOL

BMC AIR FILTER | AIR FILTERS | car - bike - high performance - racing - on-line store
Old 04 June 2008, 01:55 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
You can always plumb your aircon into the filter intake saps a bit of power but air temps are good
More power than you make from the limited air flow velocity via a air con unit. If it was that simple every car (road and race) would use such a setup. As it is there isn't a single one.
Old 04 June 2008, 01:59 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

n on on no on on no ooooooooooooooooooo arguing .....

Old 04 June 2008, 02:01 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PantsUK
Simple question on induction kits ...

is the basic premise and the reason why they are not suggested generally that you will have a natural increase in intake temprature negating the benefits of increased airflow ... (assmuing it's mapped accordingly).

I ask this because I'm always reading you don't "need" induction ..... I don't need a fkin expensive subaru but I still love it

So in a perfect world you would have an induction kit but (if possible) with the same air temps as the std air box ... ? ?? ?? ??

.... as before ... dont hurt me ....
Any good induction kit should in theory increase air flow volume while not restricting air flow velocity. Achieve good filtering. Keep IAT's down to near ambient.

Some will claim straightening the air flow is a good thing, but considering on a turbo setup that same air then has to be navigated to the turbo, compressed by the impella, fed thru an intercooler and then on to the intake manifold, having a straight bit of pipe with a filter on then becomes slightly academic

Also on most cars under bonnet temps are no where near as bad as some make out that they are. And once the car is moving the engine bay should receive good airflow (it must else the rad wouldn't work and it'd over heat). So while not ideal in the real world out there on the roads they are not as bad as often made out. Taking IAT readings with various setups would however confirm the variance and an estimate on HP loss could be made.

Biggest thing to remember - an air filters primary purpose it to filter. So use a filter that has a reputation for good filtering and not just flow rate.
Old 04 June 2008, 02:06 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
More power than you make from the limited air flow velocity via a air con unit. If it was that simple every car (road and race) would use such a setup. As it is there isn't a single one.
hence the in my post
Old 04 June 2008, 02:08 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

and not a handbag in sight .... excellent work
Old 04 June 2008, 02:09 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
hence the in my post
Well in that case I'm a dumb **** and shouldn't have missed something so obvious, lol

My bad.
Old 04 June 2008, 02:16 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Don't know about the Impreza, but the change in noise by fitting an induction kit to a FSTI is LOVELY !!!

Again, dont know about the Impreza, but the air for the OEM intake is extracted from the engine compartment just to the left of the front yellow cap (forget what that is from memory) via an intake underneath that black plastic thing (snorkus). Can't see that the temp of the air there is much different to around the induction kit personally. Am monitoring it with a probe at the moment with no real conclusions being drawn as of yet.

It also means that the snorkus can be removed (snorkusectomy) thus getting rid of a couple of kgs of weight - it's huge !

Had to have it remapped after fitting as it was completely ******** up the MAF sensor, leading to serious overfuelling. Went from 335/313 to 360/398 after the map. Can't conclusively put much of that down to the induction kit though.

Rich

Last edited by NorthDownsScooby; 04 June 2008 at 02:19 PM.