ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   First oil question now risking it with an induction kit question .... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/691899-first-oil-question-now-risking-it-with-an-induction-kit-question.html)

PantsUK 04 June 2008 01:46 PM

First oil question now risking it with an induction kit question ....

Simple question on induction kits ...

is the basic premise and the reason why they are not suggested generally that you will have a natural increase in intake temprature negating the benefits of increased airflow ... (assmuing it's mapped accordingly).

I ask this because I'm always reading you don't "need" induction ..... I don't need a fkin expensive subaru but I still love it :D

So in a perfect world you would have an induction kit but (if possible) with the same air temps as the std air box ... ? ?? ?? ??

.... as before ... dont hurt me ....

what would scooby do 04 June 2008 01:49 PM

I'd go for an induction kit with a cold air feed (from inner wing etc). You can always plumb your aircon into the filter intake ;) saps a bit of power but air temps are good

PantsUK 04 June 2008 01:52 PM

I'm actually looking at one of these .....

but not here for a barny LOL

BMC AIR FILTER | AIR FILTERS | car - bike - high performance - racing - on-line store

300bhp/ton 04 June 2008 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 7918230)
You can always plumb your aircon into the filter intake ;) saps a bit of power but air temps are good

More power than you make from the limited air flow velocity via a air con unit. If it was that simple every car (road and race) would use such a setup. As it is there isn't a single one.

PantsUK 04 June 2008 01:59 PM

n on on no on on no ooooooooooooooooooo arguing .....

:nono:

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

300bhp/ton 04 June 2008 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by PantsUK (Post 7918216)
Simple question on induction kits ...

is the basic premise and the reason why they are not suggested generally that you will have a natural increase in intake temprature negating the benefits of increased airflow ... (assmuing it's mapped accordingly).

I ask this because I'm always reading you don't "need" induction ..... I don't need a fkin expensive subaru but I still love it :D

So in a perfect world you would have an induction kit but (if possible) with the same air temps as the std air box ... ? ?? ?? ??

.... as before ... dont hurt me ....

Any good induction kit should in theory increase air flow volume while not restricting air flow velocity. Achieve good filtering. Keep IAT's down to near ambient.

Some will claim straightening the air flow is a good thing, but considering on a turbo setup that same air then has to be navigated to the turbo, compressed by the impella, fed thru an intercooler and then on to the intake manifold, having a straight bit of pipe with a filter on then becomes slightly academic :lol1:

Also on most cars under bonnet temps are no where near as bad as some make out that they are. And once the car is moving the engine bay should receive good airflow (it must else the rad wouldn't work and it'd over heat). So while not ideal in the real world out there on the roads they are not as bad as often made out. Taking IAT readings with various setups would however confirm the variance and an estimate on HP loss could be made.

Biggest thing to remember - an air filters primary purpose it to filter. So use a filter that has a reputation for good filtering and not just flow rate.

what would scooby do 04 June 2008 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton (Post 7918244)
More power than you make from the limited air flow velocity via a air con unit. If it was that simple every car (road and race) would use such a setup. As it is there isn't a single one.

hence the ;) in my post :D

PantsUK 04 June 2008 02:08 PM

and not a handbag in sight .... excellent work :lol1:

300bhp/ton 04 June 2008 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 7918269)
hence the ;) in my post :D

Well in that case I'm a dumb mofo and shouldn't have missed something so obvious, lol :cuckoo: :wonder: :lol1:

My bad.

NorthDownsScooby 04 June 2008 02:16 PM

Don't know about the Impreza, but the change in noise by fitting an induction kit to a FSTI is LOVELY !!!

http://www.coltham.co.uk/Fozzy_29107%20(5).JPG

Again, dont know about the Impreza, but the air for the OEM intake is extracted from the engine compartment just to the left of the front yellow cap (forget what that is from memory) via an intake underneath that black plastic thing (snorkus). Can't see that the temp of the air there is much different to around the induction kit personally. Am monitoring it with a probe at the moment with no real conclusions being drawn as of yet.

It also means that the snorkus can be removed (snorkusectomy) thus getting rid of a couple of kgs of weight - it's huge !
:luxhello:

Had to have it remapped after fitting as it was completely shagging up the MAF sensor, leading to serious overfuelling. Went from 335/313 to 360/398 after the map. Can't conclusively put much of that down to the induction kit though.

Rich