Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PETROL UP BY 5P IN MY AREA! WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2008, 11:50 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PETROL UP BY 5P IN MY AREA! WHY?

as title states, the petrol in my area has gone up by about 5p over the last month. what is the reason for this? is that the gorvernment or the petrol company? its now 124p
Old 04 June 2008, 12:06 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll they're both to blame really.
Petrol company up's the price - robbing government ****** automatically gain and can then say - we didn't up the price, they did.

And get away with it
Old 04 June 2008, 12:14 PM
PetesDad
BANNED

Got NOTHING to do with the Government .......................

It's EVERYTHING to do with the world price of Oil which is priced in Dollars remember!

Either way, I do agree it is annoying to see the price go up 1p a day - which is what's happening!
Old 04 June 2008, 12:17 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
We'll they're both to blame really.
Petrol company up's the price - robbing government ****** automatically gain and can then say - we didn't up the price, they did.

And get away with it

Thats not true. The petrol companies dont put the price up, the pump price is dictated by the price of a barrel of crude. Theres about a 2-3 week delay between the market pruice of crude and this being reflected at the pump (because crude bought today has to be transported and refined before it is sold on the forecourt) and 2 weeks ago prices peaked so we now have peak pump prices.

The petrol companies do not dictate the price, the market for crude oil does and before we get some sort of social welfare answer like 'BP are making massive profits' think of it like this:

If you sold something on ebay for bid and it reached £130, would you email the top bidder and say he can't buy it because you have deceided to sell it to another chap who bid £80 for it? I think for almost any sane person the answer is no and thats what your asking the oil companies to do if your asking them for cheaper oil. They dont dictate the price, they accept the market price offered.

Of course the government then add a massive amount of tax to the price, most of which is a fixed number of pence, but some of which is VAT which compounds the higher price of crude.
Old 04 June 2008, 12:19 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

i see. so how much is petrol now any way before the tax is added?
Old 04 June 2008, 12:21 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
but some of which is VAT which compounds the higher price of crude.
And the VAT is also on the tax too - double tax....NICE !

Petrol companies make between 1 & 3p profit on a litre which is NOT a lot. They make more from us on the stuff we buy in their shops.
Old 04 June 2008, 12:25 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

This is for standard unleaded costing 115p per litre.
Old 04 June 2008, 12:27 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PetesDad
Got NOTHING to do with the Government .......................
That's not quite true, for every penny extra a litre of unleaded costs the VAT increases by 0.175p. so as the price of deisel/petrol goes from £1.00 to £1.30 the government are taking an extra 5.25p per litre. They may not be causing the price increases in oil, but the VAT on top of the duty is contributing a large proportion to the increased pump price. Every 5.7p a litre goes up the government add another 1p to the price in VAT.

The goverernment should IMHO take the VAT (not duty) off fuel, they are already getting massive revenues from the North Sea tax due to teh increased price of oil, it would not cost them much, if anything, to remove the VAT on petrol as they are getting extra revenue from the North Sea tax.

As for ethanol and LPG the tax should be zero. We should be encouraging people to adopt these green fuels and also aim to gain independance from oil.

The argument that agricultural land will be used to plant ethanol crops is bull, 15% of the UK's fertile land is currently 'set aside' - the farmer gets paid by the EU not to grown anything on it. Lets get the farmers back to work on that 15% of land and then worry about where to plant next once we've got all of our land productive.
Old 04 June 2008, 01:14 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

The goverment is reluctanyt to help because as above the extra revenue just by the VAT rising ammounts to hundreds of millions.

Thats why you should all be on my bloody protest!!!!

Official Fuel And Tax Protest
Old 04 June 2008, 01:38 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Was in Wakefield Yorkshire weekend before last and was amazed to see that all fuel was nearly 4p cheaper than where I live in Cambridge
I can understand some regional differences, back in near me brother in Hemel its about 1-2p cheaper, but 4p? that's quite a lot, I filled up with V-Power for less than a tank of Tesco 99....as the price is now starting to make a noticeable difference to me now I think I'm going to have to start using 95, glad I have a UK car
Old 04 June 2008, 03:46 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by borat52
The argument that agricultural land will be used to plant ethanol crops is bull, 15% of the UK's fertile land is currently 'set aside' - the farmer gets paid by the EU not to grown anything on it. Lets get the farmers back to work on that 15% of land and then worry about where to plant next once we've got all of our land productive.
I agree with everything else you said but the only problem with this part of your theory is who are we going to get to harvest the crops? as there is'nt a chance in hell of getting our own work force off the dole for less than £30 per hour and then they would only do one day a week the chancellor should put the price of tennants super up! it would probabley raise more revenue than fuel