Sponsored by:

Superchips etc ??

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2008, 10:38 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips etc ??

From the few threads I have seen over the years on the subject off superchips etc it appears they dont have a lot off fans on here !! just wonder why they seem to have such a poor repuation ?? from the motoring press adverts off them they certainly seem to offer some very decent BHP increases ie. 40/50bhp in some cases.

personally know someone with one off the larger diesel engined BMW`s who despite spending around £500 on getting one fitted personally feels that there is very little noticable difference in overall power off his car.

have read off a few magazine tests off cars fitted with chips thou where the increase was said to be off a noticable improvment in oveall power but surely a difference off the claimed 40/50 BHP should indeed be very noticable ??!!

anyone here driven a car fitted with one off these chips ??
Old 02 June 2008, 11:36 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Have a Polar Performance chip in mine.. Noticed helthy increase in power when I fitted it, been on for over a year now (i guess) and no problems with the car relating to the chip/ecu.

If you are going to fit one, get one from a reputable company rather than an ebay special that promises the chip will fit any impreza from 92-96. There are numerous differences between cars of the same year so an incorrect chip can cause you big problems!

Personally I think its a good value for money mod, although a chip will never be as good as a full remap!
Old 02 June 2008, 11:39 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I had the Superchips Bluefin on my Focus RS, and I have to say it was very good. Improvements everywhere.
Old 03 June 2008, 06:17 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers guys two postive comments on them then !! wonder where they get the claimed45 BHP increases figures from thou ??

example :

VAG 2.0 FSI + 45 HP
Focus ST 225 + 40BHP
BMW 3.0 D + 50 BHP

the above figures are for the the Starchip.

always remember the original superchip claims for the rs turbo / cossie etc etc, supposdly massive increases in power for what is very little dosh !! appreciatte that in the days it was an increase in boost psi etc which did the trick but bit confused how the above BHP increase figures can be gotten by non turbo models is it purely by removing the rev limiter etc ??
Old 03 June 2008, 07:05 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

They can't even spell Forester on their website (Forrester)...that would put me off for a start.

Old 04 June 2008, 09:26 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Had one on my Focus ST, 52 plate and sent it back as could not tell any difference unless really booting it, even then was not hugely noticable.
Old 04 June 2008, 09:35 AM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arronb
could not tell any difference unless really booting it, even then was not hugely noticable.

1. you are only ever going to notice any gains "when you are booting it" surely !

2. according to their webbie, £300 now buys you a chip for the Focus ST you had which would give you 8 BHP extra...big whoop !

Rich
Old 04 June 2008, 11:03 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NorthDownsScooby
1. you are only ever going to notice any gains "when you are booting it" surely !

2. according to their webbie, £300 now buys you a chip for the Focus ST you had which would give you 8 BHP extra...big whoop !

Rich
1, No, I mean seriously putting your foot down to a point where your risking your licence, I was led to believe by the seller and marketing that it would give more power across the whole rev range and not just top end.

2, At the time, 4 years ago it was IIRC upto 25% more power, now thats not 8bhp is it on a car that had 170bhp, its more like 42.5bhp, even if your more realistic then 25/30 would be expected, again or thats what I was led to belive!!!

Anyway, got to give it to them that when I said it was no good I had a full refund as per the T&C's
Old 04 June 2008, 11:12 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Superchips were always one too steer clear of on my last motor, Punto Turbo.
Their claims were never verified by peoples rolling road sessions, and part of their "chipping" involved fitting a bleed valve and whacking up the boost. The chip they put in (is just a plug in eeprom) was just a slightly better fueling map.
Their Bluefin does sound much better, as its done by the OBD port isn't it? and you get to control vearious aspects yourself.
Old 04 June 2008, 11:22 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scooby OEM ECU is excellent & is made with ease of tunning/mapping in mind, why would you want to mess about with Superchips. Better to just get your Scooby ECU re-mapped by someone who knows what theyr doing.
Old 04 June 2008, 11:26 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If we are talking about the company "Superchips" as opposed to to superchips being a descriptive for all chips then i would steer clear. IIRC, John Banks once said that he could build a chip which would do exactly the same as the Superchip item for a few pence. As said aove, they tend to wind the boost up without taking the fueling into account!!!