Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should max UK speed limit be?
3.70%
37.04%
37.96%
21.30%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

What do you feel the speed limit should be?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2008, 05:31 PM
Ben2563
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you feel the speed limit should be?

Ok lets try and be sensible about this, I just feel that in this day and age when everyone one the motorway is doing around 90+ should it be increased? Just watched top gear and they were saying something similar.

And dont say unlimited as we know this would never happen. maybe....

100+

Last edited by Ben2563; 31 May 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 31 May 2008, 05:33 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I don't think there should be speed limits anywhere. However, there should be far harsher punishments for drivers that cause accidents through bad driving.
Old 31 May 2008, 05:35 PM
Ben2563
Scooby Regular

Good point, didnt think of it like that.
Old 31 May 2008, 05:36 PM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Totally and utterly agree with the above INAPPROPRIATE speed is where it matters. Speaking of which, why the fek do they have to come in 10's? (ie 20.30.40 etc) Loads of areas reduced from 30-20 near me recently, why not 25? Can't be the same set of circumstances for everywhere surely
Old 31 May 2008, 08:42 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

I think on a motorway 100 on b roads its not so straight forward,if some woman driver was on a b road that had a limit of say 80 and comes to a bend in anything other than a subaru of coarse she wouldn't be able to handle the corner or slow down in time to go round.
Old 31 May 2008, 08:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Responsibility should be given to individual drivers and not with blanket speed limits. Those abusing that responsibility through dangerous acts should have the book thrown at them, something that does not happen now. Even with all these limits, laws and enforcement you still see very dangerous drivers being let off harsh punishment whilst being found guilty of killing someone.
Old 31 May 2008, 09:04 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i reckon it should be 90
Old 31 May 2008, 09:12 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

There's no option for 60
Old 31 May 2008, 09:18 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

throwing the book at someone that was going within the speed limit but still to fast to take a bend wouldn't make me feel better if it was my car they crashed into.speedlimits are there for people with no commen sense

Last edited by stigaz; 31 May 2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 31 May 2008, 09:27 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Keep it at 70mph but don't enforce it
Old 31 May 2008, 10:12 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
Keep it at 70mph but don't enforce it
thats almost the case now. i quite often drive on the m'way and apart from lorrys buses etc not many sticking to 70. And if every one did go 70 would there not be lots of congestion i'm not sure they want every one going 70 but time to time they nick people to seem to be doing something. its obvious that most people break the speed limit imho
Old 31 May 2008, 10:25 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Most accidents are caused by lack of concentration IMO, No matter what speed you are doing you are going to crash or cause an accident if you are not concentrating.
Old 31 May 2008, 10:26 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

on a clear motorway with ONLY a police car on the road whos hiding on a bridge there should be no speed limit !!!

recon 100mph if dry and after 7pm to 10pm , before that 85mph as thats a fair speed during busy times

after 10pm to 6am no speed limit as at them times you can do 150mph and not be in any danger of other cars

round town and country lanes i agree most speed limits im afraid,,, though 25mph round town rather than 20mph !!!
Old 31 May 2008, 11:55 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

[quote=Ben2563;7909402] everyone one the motorway is doing around 90+ [quote]

That's not the case everywhere, only on some roads. I travel around Edinburgh and only the odd car is doing that sort of speed, there are equally as many doing well under 70.

One of the problems in allowing a higher speed limit would be a greater spread of speeds from slowest to fastest cars on the road, and that would contribute to more mistakes and more accidents.

Also, some roads would become very difficult to join on slip roads if average speeds were a lot higher!

And whether anyone likes it or cares about it or not, travelling at 20mph more takes at least 10% more fuel. I couldn't afford to speed!
Old 01 June 2008, 08:22 AM
Spyder550
Scooby Regular

Realistically I would say 85-90 as it seems to be a comfortable speed that just about all cars you can buy now can achieve. Though I think it is unlikely to happen due to the under investment by sucessive governments on the motorway networks.

Ideally the motorways should be 4 lanes with all goods vehicles banned from the outside 2 lanes. I use the M3 to commute and most of problems seem to happen when trucks and vans pointlessly overtake each over and everyone else then has to move to the next lane across. If they had that extra lane they could overtake each other without causing problems to faster traffic flow.

Though as a whole I think they also need to crack down more on lane discipline, like with the muppets you come across now who even when the motorway is clear sit there in middle lane, normally seems to be women in 4x4 or people carriers that I notice do it most.
Old 01 June 2008, 09:57 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
thats almost the case now. i quite often drive on the m'way and apart from lorrys buses etc not many sticking to 70. And if every one did go 70 would there not be lots of congestion i'm not sure they want every one going 70 but time to time they nick people to seem to be doing something. its obvious that most people break the speed limit imho
Watch out for the speed camera vans on some mways, as they do prosecute for 79+ (ACPO guideline), M180 (Beltoft) and M6 though Cumbria are common.

Simon
Old 01 June 2008, 11:45 AM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

Lane 1 50-70
Lane 2 70-80
Lane 3 80-150

I find it very hard to drive at 70 seems to slow im always at 100. or 98 so I dont a ban if i get court.
Old 01 June 2008, 02:23 PM
shogo10
Scooby Regular

200 MPH
Old 01 June 2008, 04:02 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

At 70, scumtards do 80+... So increasing the limit to 90 would lead to scumtards doing 110+ (car permitting)...
The comedy arguement about "no other cars", "Quiet roads", "2am" blah blah blah is one only argued by the driving inept. These types of roads are not impervious to a bit of split diesel, a bit of tyre wrecking debris, a stray animal or any other potential hazard, and yet some idiots think that at 100mph plus in the dark they are in a position to judge this and should the worst happen, feel that their incredible driving skills will see them right at those speeds

Driving standards in this country are appalling and getting worse. They are hindered, in part by those who have a higher regard for their driving skills than they can put into practise. A key indicator of such people are those who feel that because they are confident driving at high speed the limits should be increased...

A strictly managed 70mph with more traffic cars and more average speed cameras to enforce it combined with variable speed management systems (on busy roads) are the only way to go...
Old 01 June 2008, 04:18 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

I don't think your arguement [sic] goes far enough with the dangers you've pointed out above. Ban all cars is the only way to go

A tip for driving in the dark, put your lights on
Old 01 June 2008, 04:35 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Germans have had it right for years, they are far disciplined drivers IMO!! A lot of the Autobahns are unlimited BUT if the roads are damp then the limit is 120KPH (or 80 in some areas) and they stick to this!! I can't see the majority of young drivers over here adhering to this though. Like was said above, if the limit is 70 then 80 is the 'unofficial' limit and so on!! 80mph gets my vote as the current limit was put in place when cars weren't quite so advanced, you've only got to look at the Highway Code's braking distances!!
Old 01 June 2008, 05:19 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
80mph gets my vote as the current limit was put in place when cars weren't quite so advanced, you've only got to look at the Highway Code's braking distances!!
Absolutely right, but there's way more traffic (as a result of more cars out there and car ownership being spread right across all social and educational levels) than there was back then too, so a direct comparison is impossible.
Old 01 June 2008, 06:19 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
A tip for driving in the dark, put your lights on
not just me then thats discovered using thier lights at night seems to,,,,,, well make the road more visable

oh and MORE likes on motorways IS important too,,,, most people who fall asleep at the wheel is on the DARK sections of motorways,,,,,, you naturally feel tired if its dark,,, hence when you get to the major junctions that are lit up you seem to wake up

btw i do LOTS of motorway driving and my mates tell me i cant drive for ****e round town ( to irratic ) but i can do 130 on the motorway and they would feel ALOT more calmer than if they are driving at 70mph as i seem to be a good motorway driving,,,, not a comment by me as i think im a good driver anyway,,,,, but there must me some truth as EVERYONE tells me the same thing
Old 01 June 2008, 06:31 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Crosstalk
One of the problems in allowing a higher speed limit would be a greater spread of speeds from slowest to fastest cars on the road, and that would contribute to more mistakes and more accidents.

Had not thought of a raise in speed limit in this way before, But possibly having lane 1 as the crawler lane would facilitate the problem with people merging from slipways etc.

I really think that the speed should be down to the motorist, but on the other hand, with the amount of numpties on the road, guidelines do need to be there.

I reckon a higher speed road test should be in order to allow travelling in your vehicle at speeds between 70 and 100, and this could have a life of say 5 years on your license. This would weed out the numpties BUT could possibly create more problems for motorists and Police, as it would be a gamble as to whether a motorist was allowed to travel at that speed.
Old 01 June 2008, 06:34 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

I'd say 90mph would be about right.

G
Old 01 June 2008, 06:51 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I don't think there should be speed limits anywhere. However, there should be far harsher punishments for drivers that cause accidents through bad driving.
The perfect answer.

In addition:
<<flame suit on>>

There should also be more prosecutions for idiot pedestrians that cause accidents by walking in front of cars - "dangerous walking" it should be called. These pedestrians have no insurance and need no licence to "walk", yet they are allowed to cross our roads without any training....sometimes even obscuring their contact with the enviroment by wearing headphones.

Luckily they are not allowed on Motorways, which is why they are the "safest" roads we have.

<<flame suit visor to the down position>>
Old 02 June 2008, 12:32 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Default 90mph ...

... and enforced with zero tolerance. 90 is plenty, 100 is too fast for most cars.

TX.
Old 02 June 2008, 01:01 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
The Germans have had it right for years, they are far disciplined drivers IMO!! A lot of the Autobahns are unlimited BUT if the roads are damp then the limit is 120KPH (or 80 in some areas) and they stick to this!! I can't see the majority of young drivers over here adhering to this though. Like was said above, if the limit is 70 then 80 is the 'unofficial' limit and so on!! 80mph gets my vote as the current limit was put in place when cars weren't quite so advanced, you've only got to look at the Highway Code's braking distances!!

That's as maybe but do german drivers not have to pay part of any insurance payouts if it is found they were driving at crazy speeds even if the accident was NOT their fault? I stand to be corrected if i am wrong here.
Old 02 June 2008, 08:11 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I'm for variable limits, 80 when dry and 65 when its wet. But I would like to see more police patrols on the motorways and much better lane disapline enforced. Lesson on the motorway should be compulsary - as I feel refresher course every 5 years or so for everyone.

Richard
Old 02 June 2008, 08:45 AM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

I am suprised no one has mentioned a minimum speed limit for motorways.

I would say 65mph min and a max limit of 90mph and lorries may not overtake between 6am and 8pm because they bugger up the motorway traffic flow completely, taking two miles to pass another truck. Also enforce 3 second following distances (way fewer accidents and better traffic flow). Lastly, spend some of the fuel tax on actually fixing the roads.

Quick Reply: What do you feel the speed limit should be?