Sponsored by:

Frustration!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2008, 05:35 PM
R McGeddon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustration!!!!

I am getting close to giving up on getting a Scooby. The used car market has just about come to a standstill. My car has been on the market since late February and had very little interest shown, apart from web-based buyers with their take the pi$$ offers.

It's hard to remain optimistic.
Old 23 May 2008, 05:46 PM
Blacksimus
Scooby Regular

Like houses mate, the prices on such cars as imprezas is just gonna keep on dropping before they can sell. Most people are wanting to buy diesels and smaller engined petrol cars. I'd put mine on the market now if I had any hope of it selling for the price I want.
Old 23 May 2008, 05:51 PM
joekont
Scooby Regular

I've decided that I'm gonna mod the **** outta mine instead of selling it for less than I think it's worth.
But I'm like that.
I'd rather see it rot away than sell it to some idea for less than I think it's worth.

Like buying a house. I refuse to pay a price for something that I really don't think is a true value of it's worth.
I'd rather live in a tent!
Old 23 May 2008, 07:26 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

Have u tried ebay mate?

Depending on what type of car it is you might be surprised.
A friend of mine had been advertising his vectra for weeks, and it sold on ebay in 3 days.

Best of luck matey.
Old 23 May 2008, 08:33 PM
.pslewis. .
Scooby Regular

Nearly every car is hard to sell ..... if you are buying secondhand next then its swings and roundabouts - you only get really stung if you buy a new car as they haven't dropped in price!
Old 23 May 2008, 09:00 PM
crf450r
Scooby Regular

i had the same trouble i sold my espace on ebay on the third time,,,
lost about 2k on it!! then you will find youll save on the scooby like i did its swings and roundabouts just bite the bullet sell it and buy an STI i have a permanent smile these days even when i fill up lol
Old 23 May 2008, 10:02 PM
R McGeddon
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
Have u tried ebay mate?

Depending on what type of car it is you might be surprised.
A friend of mine had been advertising his vectra for weeks, and it sold on ebay in 3 days.
I have thought about ebay but I've heard plenty of negative stories that have made me wary, but I might just give it a go.

My car is a 53 plate Astra SRi 2.2 it's only got 24k miles on it and is in excellent condition. At first I thought it would be snapped up.

Originally Posted by subarujimmy
Best of luck matey.
Cheers.
Old 23 May 2008, 10:34 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest what price are you trying to get for it? I'm guessing at it's value to please don't take offence, but a 4.5 yr old 2.2 SRI is probably worth 30% of the list price. Off the top of my head I reckon they were about 15k new(?) so that would mean it is worth about £4.5k? Tough market conditions so you might be looking at high threes? Is it the old shape or the current one - I can't remember when the current model came out?

ATB
Old 24 May 2008, 12:56 AM
ImprezARex
Scooby Regular

Its also stupidly steep fuel prices putting ppl off buying performance cars but good luck with the sale anyway.
Old 24 May 2008, 02:09 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get some pics up and a price
Old 24 May 2008, 12:52 PM
R McGeddon
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Just out of interest what price are you trying to get for it? I'm guessing at it's value to please don't take offence, but a 4.5 yr old 2.2 SRI is probably worth 30% of the list price. Off the top of my head I reckon they were about 15k new(?) so that would mean it is worth about £4.5k? Tough market conditions so you might be looking at high threes? Is it the old shape or the current one - I can't remember when the current model came out?

ATB
It's currently on PistonHeads for £5,200 ono. I arrived at this price using the Parker's guide and what other people are asking for their car. I also upped it a little, based on its very low mileage and because it has got some extras.

You're right about market conditions and you weren't far out with your guess, but I couldn't let it go for less than £5k otherwise that puts the Scooby I want (1999/2000) right out of my reach.

It's the previous shape (my favourite) if anybody wants to take a look at my car, just follow the link below.

MyCar

Cheers everybody.
Old 24 May 2008, 02:44 PM
davmcc75
Scooby Regular

The market for big engine cars at the momment is catching everyone, I think if you got the 5k for you car youll be very lucky and be waiting a long time to find that person who is willing to pay that much. I have just bought a Subaru althought an older one i noticed if you looked hard enough you can get a 99 plate for about 4k.

I also not long a go sold my wifes 2.2 astra same shape etc but with 70k for 3.5k as we could not get rid of it. She wanted a 1.2 punto to save on fuel costs. and the small engined market is booming.

Sell yours on ebay with the reserve of 5k and see what you get, then be patient looking for the right Subaru for the price you have. Wish you the best of luck. I have bought and sold on ebay, just be cautious and you should have no problems
Old 24 May 2008, 09:02 PM
sime 71
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joekont
I've decided that I'm gonna mod the **** outta mine instead of selling it for less than I think it's worth.
But I'm like that.
I'd rather see it rot away than sell it to some idea for less than I think it's worth.

Like buying a house. I refuse to pay a price for something that I really don't think is a true value of it's worth.
spot on mine will rot before i sell it for the price i got offered the other day it takes the p**s me thinks
Old 25 May 2008, 12:37 PM
R McGeddon
Scooby Newbie

I've uploaded some clearer pictures.

MyCar
Old 25 May 2008, 03:59 PM
chrisgreenall
Scooby Regular

If its any consolation to you, I have a 55 plate Audi A6 2.7 Tdi saloon with 48k on the clock. Parkers & What car have it valued at £15k. I have it up for sale at £13495 and its not shifted in 3 weeks...

I reckon £12500 is what i'll end up taking for it...
Old 25 May 2008, 04:17 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joekont
But I'm like that.

Well with principles like that, you might have to, like it or not, house prices are never going to be what they were 10 years ago, I always moan to the gf about when I first met her, around that time I was going to buy my own place, but didn't end up doing so, I would be a good position thesedays if I had done the deed back then...but no point moaning, its the real world and its the price you have to pay......houses arn't worth what they are up for, but if you want one......