Puff @ Snetters

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2001, 12:26 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Me again

Lucky enough to have blagged another track day thanks to the wife's boss (long story here before posted ) & it was at my local venue Snetterton, scene of my first trackday

First off, many thanks to Darin Frow, his assistants from the MLR & the hard working people of Snetterton race-course. It was Darin's birthday as well & as far as I know he didn't even get any laps in Dedication & thanks

This day was essentially an MLR trackday & because there aren't that many Evos (compared to scoobs) are more free in the type of car accepted for entry. Also there are more places available in order to keep the costs down for the participants. This led to a wide and varied cacophony of machinery that was present on the day. List? Well, Evos, Scoobs (UK, WRX, STi, 22B 4drs & Wagons), Delta Integrale, Mini Cooper (original), Peugot 205, Mondeo ST24, Porsche Turbo (recent), Porsche 911 Carrera RS, Ferrari 360 Modena soft-top, Skyline GT-R 34 & GT-R 34 V-limited, BMW 732i (with full cage ) Caterhams, Cossies (inc Charlie & Mike R) race spec Fiestas, Novas, Porsche 924s, BMWs, a Merc E340, Elises, Exiges, Esprit & an F off Porcshe shadowed BDA cossie engined 500BHP monster. I think in all about 90 cars!

Such a mix of cars would obviously lead to wide variety of lap-times and vehicular abilities, but this was compounded by the early on-set of RAIN A different light was now cast upon the day & it was more down to driver ability (in the 2WD classes) than outright horsepower. This meant that the Evos & Scoobs could regain the advantage against the more powerful (or bhp/ton) machines & so it proved.

However, rain proved to be a problem for many of the drivers out there, either through inexperience in inclement conditions or frustration that they were unable to use the inherant abilities of their cars to the max. Bottom line is that it led to some of the worst on-track ettiquete that I've ever seen. The concept of "pull over to the right" didn't arise with both cars that had no power/grip (must follow the racing line ) to those that had more power/not much more grip using that power once they'd found the grip to eventually pull ahead of the 4WD vehicle that had been pushing them round for the last 1/2 lap This led to inevitable frustrations & long processions Added to this was (for some) a bad attitude in that their car was faster in a straight line so P off... I think a lot of the participants there missed the point of the day

Before anyone thinks thats just Puff having a moan, anyone else there will tell you what the general on-track conduct was like - added to which the amount of red-flags/stoppages that came on & the lectures we got over the tanoy just went to show the general ill-discipline of an otherwise well orgnised event. I would hope that next year, the MLR would increase the cost & reduce the number of entrants & possibly "scan" those that do enter for suitability - having a 60hp Mini & a 600bhp racer (he turned the boost down) on the same track at the same time is somewhat silly. I do think that the SIDC has got the balance better but they do have a wider membership, although the lack of entrants at Brands would, I am sure, have been a minor concern.

Anyhow, enough of the bad, how about the good?

PTMW! was on top form, running SUL (don't normally) & with the rear strut-brace back in place (comes off when not on-track ). Leda was 21F & 20R which together with the SO2s felt rock-solid in the initially damp conditions. AP/Brembos were well capable for the job, 120+ - 80 at the end of the back straight in 100 yds every time Started off well, with a dry line begining to appear, when it just started to bucket - joy My only problem was that the n/s of all 4 tyres were extremely worn (bald )after previous track-days, so every now & then the car would ship to the left by 5 feet Also I would lose traction under full chat up the start/finish straight. I ummed & erred but after 85 miles in the morning session ( & a fuel stop) changed over to my road tyres, hoping that it would stay wet - it did The after-noon saw another 70 miles & more rain & another fuel stop.

Three cars overtook me on Sunday when going. An Evo, the Phil Bailey Porcshe/Cossie monster & a Porcshe Turbo. The Turbo stomped past on the start/finish straight, then went in too fast to the first corner. I had decided to see what he was capable of on the corners so braked hard/late & followed him in. I could see that he was losing grip so I began to slow down & pull right, but at that second his back-end let go & he set off spining across the track towards the grass. I lifted off completely ( ) & PTMW! went into a spin too, but towards the infield. We completed the spin (exact 360), still moving forwards, put the car into second & went off again. Porsche was in the grass. Didn't see it again & he wasn't hanging around on the pits when I got back!

So, small drama apart, anything that came in front of me, I overtook - most of the list above except for the Ferrari who I think did a couple of laps and decided against risking his car. Included Mike Rainbird (though he has some excuse ) another of the big bhp cossie fraternity - Charlie. Also, both Skylines & as usual on video, so to W9GTR

All in all a good day as the trophy belt was well notched & PTMW! behaved faultlessly. I think there is/was a lesson to be learnt from the number/type cars on the track but once again thanks to the MLR & Darin for organising it.

A pic of PTMW! that clearly illustrates the weather

(Pic thanks to Peter Wileman Photography - 01530 812 639)

Old 27 November 2001, 12:37 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Great post!

Cheers for that.
Old 27 November 2001, 09:05 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Blimey Puff, you sure that wasn't a skid pan day
Old 27 November 2001, 09:39 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

If you look closely on the pic you can just about make out the shadow of the boat he's about to overtake.............

Sounds like you had fun Puff!

Jza
Old 27 November 2001, 07:13 PM
monkeytennis
Scooby Regular

Smile

PTMW - that 'loss of traction' out of Russel bend & along the pit straight looked & sounded pretty cool!
You were still gaining ground on most other cars whilst wheel spinning

Check this thread for some more comments:
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=56028