Thieving gits......

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2001, 12:46 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

NAF
Sorry to hear it - and particularly about the dog.

We had a break in while we were out last year. Not nice when it actually happens. Security upgraded subsequently.

Re shotguns - anybody doing the same to our house while we are in will meet two REAL ones - and I am a bloody good shot.......
Old 05 January 2001, 08:47 AM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had a bit of an incident this morning...
missus woke up this morning to the sound of the dog barking like CRAZY then going all quiet kinda whimpering all of a sudden....she thought it a bit strange so she woke me up....we looked out the window & saw two scumbags trying to jimmy open the Glass patio doors at the back of the house....I was deciding what to do when all of a sudden she starts screaming at them to get the **** out of there!! She frightened me more than them cos the two of them didnt even look up ....they just carry on as if they didnt hear her!! I shout to Jane to ring the guards....and get me the shotgun
You should have seen them leg it then!
They took off crashing tru the garden ....trampled everything...knocked the washing...etc.
Went downstairs & out the back with a poker but they were long gone
The W******s beat the **** out of our dog with a sweeping brush
He's only a small little terrier type ....makes a fair bit of noise but he was too small to worry them obviously
We were lucky they didnt get in.....the keys to both cars were downstairs....and my mates playstation 2 which I had borrowed while he's away on hols!
not to mention the dvd ...tv etc..
Rang the cops at 6 am ..still haven't called to us yet typical eh?
Sorry Stuart!!
there's really heavy fog here this morning...you can only see a couple of feet in front of you so they wouldn't have been able to find them too easily anyway I reckon
We never had anything like this happen to us before so to be honest security wise things weren't the best....
What I need to do is secure the back doors & garden walls somehow....
Any good advice on doing so guys would be greatly appreciated ..

Cheers
Niall

[This message has been edited by NAF (edited 05 January 2001).]
Old 05 January 2001, 08:58 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry dude..

At times like this... the law seems to suck

J.
Old 05 January 2001, 09:12 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

What a bunch of f*****g w*****s beating your dog up like that
Old 05 January 2001, 09:13 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry to hear about this.

Fukcing to55ers - beating up a dog.
Old 05 January 2001, 09:28 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Angry

Really sorry to hear this, thank God you are ok, but feel for your dog - hope he gets better real soon.
On a slightly more cheerful note, I LOVE the comment re. the shotgun - a touch of genius sir!

All the best,

Jon
Old 05 January 2001, 09:31 AM
mattski
Scooby Regular

f*cking wa**ing b*stards

Thing is, what do you do against em if you catch em, plus there was two of them
big men beating up a little dog aren't they. What the hell is this country coming to?

I'm sure the police would have been a lot more interested if you had ran out of tax or had done 50mph in a 40 zone ... easy targets us motorists aren't we.

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2001, 09:49 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

NAF,
fill a couple of shotgun shells with bird seed instead of lead. Shoot the first person who looks over your back wall. It will be scary but won't hurt. You will be safe forever.

p.s. maybe leave a bit of lead in on behafl of the pooch
Old 05 January 2001, 09:54 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry to hear about it Niall.

I had an attempted break-in and can tell you what I did to aid security.

Put top and bottom bolt locks on your patio doors as they are the weakest point in most houses. The bolts push in through the door and into the frame then lock. This makes it difficult to jemmy them out of their frames or force them apart.

Garden walls are difficult but my neighbour and I jointly bought and fitted a VERY bright security light. It only gets switched on before I go to bed so it doesn't annoy the neighbours, but it should deter any creepers in the back garden.

Other than that, I fitted a pukka alarm system with programmable zones but that means your dog won't be able to roam freely in the house at night.

Oh yeh, and turn bolts in all of the doors.

Get it done quick mate as the coppers round here reckon they like to come back if they know there is nothing to deter them.

Hope yer dog is not too badly bashed.

blubs
Old 05 January 2001, 10:29 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Angry

B@STARDS

I know it's disturbing but at least they didn't get in.
Suggest you fit an alarm, rigged with at least 2 zones so you can leave it on at night. If you use switches on the doors/windows instead of PIRs the dog can be left inside.
Fit a high tensile bolt through the patio door runner and plant thorny shrubs around the walls. A good climbing rose would be OK but we have something with silver branches and even sharper thorns. Just went along to the Garden Centre and told them what I was trying to achieve. A neighbour fitter razor wire to the top of his wall, effective but not particularly decorative.

A couple of halogen lights operated off a PIR and a dummy camera should send out the right signals.

At the end of the day you can only encourage them to go elsewhere so put a baseball bat under the bed just in case

Hope your dog and wife are OK

B

PS You can also get anti jemmy hinges for the doors.

Old 05 January 2001, 10:45 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

On the PIR front, got a mate who fits alarms.

You can get special PIRS that only detect above a certain height. Fine if youve got a smaller dog, you can set for about 4 feet and upwards.

These are not fitted as standard by most installers, but they should be able to get them if you ask.

My parents have one, and they have never had a false alarm with the dogs in and the alarm on.

robski
Old 05 January 2001, 01:21 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Smile

Broken glass cemented in along the top of your wall m8... that'll deter the thieving gypsy b***ards!!

Sorry to hear about your pooch. Post you'll address and we'll all send him some get well treats!

Shotguns. If I had my way I'd have a bloody UZI for home defence! Any of you Manchester boys able to accomodate!?! :-) Might have a problem gettin rid of the bodies though....

Karlos

[This message has been edited by Karlos (edited 05 January 2001).]
Old 05 January 2001, 01:26 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you do place broken glass on the top of a wall and the burglar cuts himself on it could he not then sue you??

Also think about all the poor animals that might get hurt!!

Trouble is you have to be very carefull as you own a dog. My personal favourate would be pieces of wood with three inch nails in left upside down under the fence. Just imagine what would happen if somebody decided to jump over the fence and landed on them . If anything happened then you just "accidentally" left them there.....

[This message has been edited by JoeyDeacon (edited 05 January 2001).]
Old 05 January 2001, 01:28 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I like it joey....very crafty!

Karlos
Old 05 January 2001, 01:48 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Really sorry to hear about your dog. Hope he recovers swifly.
Jason
Old 05 January 2001, 09:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Niall,

a similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago, but first, some a few thoughts (sorry this is a bit long) ...

As blubs says - do something QUICK, both to prevent a repeat attempt, and to give you a little more peace of mind!

DO NOW...

Tell your neighbours, so that they are aware of the potential risk (and can also keep an eye/ear out). If you don't have nearby neighbours, don't say so on this BBS!

Keep ALL your keys upstairs.

If possible, deadlock all downstairs external doors.

Place bottles, chairs and other obstructions against your patio doors and on ground floor window sills - stuff that will make a noise if knocked over.

Cut a broom handle to size, and lay it along the inside of the patio door in such a way as to prevent it sliding (thanks to this months Which? magazine for this tip!).

If you have some old/dummy keys, fit them onto a Scooby keyring (i am assuming that you have such a car) and leave in a visble place downstairs, just in case they get in.

If your car alarm allows, set the PIN code to prevent even key/remote access.

Keep a torch (Maglite!), camera, rope etc. upstairs beside the bed!

Comfort your dog (poor thing)

DO TOMORROW...

Buy a couple of sacks of gravel/pebbles from your local DIY store and sprinkle them over your patio/path as a temporary measure. Burglars don't like to make a noise, and the crunch of the stones may give them away.

Buy an outdoor light - a low wattage always-on will do for now for a few quid.

Better still, buy a PIR lamp, but that will require a bit more planning and installing. A 500 watt version is not necessary, just something to illuminate the darkness.

If you can secure your perimeter (gates, bolts etc.) do so

I don't know what the "liability laws" are in Ireland, but you may wish to nail some carpet gripper strip to the top of your fences (spikes pointing inwards) to _deter_ people climbing over. If this sounds a bit dodgy, fit a small trellis to the tops of your fences, which will make a lot of noise/break of someone tries to climb over.

If possible, fit window locks to all accessible windows (whether downstairs, beside a drainpipe, flat roof or whatever).

If you don't have time to fit a full alarm, but a couple of battery powered PIR alarms, and leave them in relevant locations.

LONGER TERM...

Take a long walk around your property, and try to think how a burglar would attempt to break in, and if at all possible, do something about it.

Get a proper alarm.

Have a word with your local Police security chap

MY STORY...

A couple of years ago, one of my fence panels "blew down" in the gales. At the time, as i was away on business during the week, i never got around to fixing it. One Saturday night (or rather 04:50 Sunday morning) i awoke from my dreams to a kind of BANG. As i lay in bed i heard footsteps outside, and my brain tried to comprehend why "the dustbin men" were around, as they normally come on a Thursday.

Looking out of the bedroom window, i saw two figures outside, one reaching into my kitchen window, and the other alongside - both dressed in black with hoods raised. I tried to focus my eyes/wake up/determine what was happening (were they in the house already, how many of them were there, what were they doing etc.), so just stared for what was probably 30 seconds or so. My only thoughts were "i wish that i had a camera"!

Then, a third figure appeared on my patio, and without any obvious sound, they all slowly walked away - at this point i called the Police (my first 999 ever!). They arrived in around 20 minutes, and were very good (although i do live in a major built-up area).

As far as i can tell (now, with fore-thought), they had screwdrivered the top "flap" window, pushing completely through the frame gap and dislodging the latch bar (this is after attempting to jemmy the main window a few times first). They then attempted to open the big window, but failed because this has a full keyed-lock. I am guessing that this is why they "walked away".

Other things that i noticed is that they were operating in the rain - thus masking any minor noises, and hiding any fingerprints or footprints.

As for my fence panel. I fixed it the next day (with a couple of screws as a temporary measure) and it has not blown down since. I very much doubt that it was the wind in the first place - it was most probably kicked down to provide easy access/escape. It is the planning/scheming that is most worrying!

The Police said that they were most probably drug addicts, with the only consolation that they would probably be dead within a couple of years with an overdose. The downside is that you probably could not reason with them should you have to confront them - don't underestimate your defense requirements!!

It shook me up, but you can't let the *******s get the better of you,

Take care,

mb
Old 05 January 2001, 09:29 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Boomer
Sound advice - and have much of it in force - which will not mention here for obvious reasons.

Ours was also reckoned to be drug related - "dead in a couple of years" - it would be a lot fuc.king less than that if I ever got hold of them.....
Old 05 January 2001, 10:56 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Good advice - I'm making notes.

Hope your dog is better soon (what's his name?) and the w@nkers don't stress you any further.
Old 07 January 2001, 11:27 AM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

I just thought I'd update you all on whats happening.....
I've fitted a really bright pir lamp in place of the existing small crappy one at the back of our house...top job....instant daylight!
It has an audible alert unit as well which beeps when the pir unit detects movement
I've plugged it in to the socket next to our bed so hopefully if it activates it should wake us....
Have also fitted door locks & high spec broom handle to the patio doors!
Thanks boomer for that one!
Simple but dead effective !

Joey....Love the advice on the timber & nails trick
will be doing that first thing this morning....gonna make sure they're nice n' rusty too....
Unfortunetly our laws regarding these scumbags injuring themselves getting in to your house is pretty much the same as your own so broken glass on the wall is out......gonna cover it in some thick dirty grease for the time being...
As for the dog....His name is Widget .....he was a little shaken but he's fine now...gonna buy him a Steak ...he derserves it!!
Have to say tho..It shook us up a lot ...gave Jane a terrible fright
She didnt sleep a wink on Friday night ......the only good thing is that it's put us on our guard now...we wont be such an easy target from now on
so I suppose something good has come out of it....
Once again thanks for all the support/advice everyone...you've been a great help

Niall

[This message has been edited by NAF (edited 07 January 2001).]
Old 09 January 2001, 09:31 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

Grrrr...Bloody chime unit only worked for 1 day...can't they build anything to last these days!
Old 09 January 2001, 09:49 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Naf - Sorry to hear about the pooch but I can not agree more with whoever mentioned security lights, I was an alarm engineer for 5 years and the amount of perimiter security lighting I fitted was astranomical, as a wild stab in the dark it might be worth getting a car alarm with voice module installed in an external bell box connected to an external PIR sensor so that it switches on perimiter lights and also emits an audible warning that they are being watched, this would give me the ******* especially if there is an external CCTV camera housing overlooking the car port/drive. I know I am in Germany but I could possibly help you with this solution if you are intersted depending where you are located.

Steve
Old 10 January 2001, 03:05 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Wurzel
I'm in Ireland mate .....dont know if thats any good to ya ...
Good idea regarding the car alarm n' that.....will be having a look into it
The more deterrants the better if you ask me!

Cheers
Niall
Old 10 January 2001, 03:36 PM
adrianeaton
Scooby Newbie

Just thought I'd try and be helpful as a few guys broke into a few houses down our street in the same way through the patio doors.

Apparently they use a spade/crowbar to lever the patio doors upwards off the rail they run on along the bottom of the door frame and then the whole door lifts out. So we fitted wooden blocks to the inside top of the patio door frame so that the door could be slid open but not lifted upwards. A cheap solution but it seemed to work.

This was a while ago so if they are new doors the problem may have been fixed.

hope it helps,
Adrian.
Old 11 January 2001, 01:39 PM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

another fairly cheap & quick idea . . . . dummy camera(s)- just never fit an empty box, dummy internals a MUST

As an example look here: <B><I>
Old 11 January 2001, 01:46 PM
zippo
Scooby Regular

I fitted a cheapish camara from FOCUS DO IT ALL sometime ago. It angles down from the side of the house onto the driveway and is activated via PIR and or sound. It plugs into the back of the telly via a scart lead and is fantastic. It will interupt the telly channel when activated and in conjunction with a PIR light aswell makes me feel (fresh and dry all day long) more relaxed. It retails for approx £70 and IMHO well worth it.
Old 11 January 2001, 02:22 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Sound advice!
I shall be fitting a dummy camera at the weekend ....i've sourced one in my local electrical store for £70
Adrian
Thanks for the info regarding the wooden blocks.....thing is I now have patio locks fitted top & bottom as well as a broom handle which fits snugglt in between the two doors so reckon thats about as secure as I can get them!!

Cheers
Niall
Old 11 January 2001, 03:37 PM
lego
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

naf
you could buy a real camera+pir color for £70-£80.or try argus £50 b/w I think.
if you want a price (re- my e-mail) on a system e-mail me.

cheers john.
Old 11 January 2001, 04:29 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Doh!
Just re -read my post
Meant to say Real camera not dummy!

John
Sorry about the lack of response to your email.....was having a problem accessing them for the last few days for some strange reason

Niall