Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Don't panic - carjacking's not a serious matter for the police ....

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2002, 05:34 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.... according to a big feature in a magazine for police. The report says that in a random sample of a dozen metropolitan and rural forces contacted, virtually no cases had been reported in the last 12 months. None of those forces had mounted any specific operations against carjacking and were only providing information on vehicle security if specifically asked.

It goes on to say that the situation in the Met appears to be somewhat unique at present with London providing the rich pickings for car thieves. The Stolen Vehicle Unit stresses that while the problem is currently small, it is growing.

What is more popular is the "letterbox" theft. More audacious methods include wholesale theft directly from a car dealership when gangs turn up with a low-loader, disable the alarms and CCTV, then help themselves to the key box and as many cars as they can get their hands on. Other more opportunist thieves get keys by cruising car workshops and steal any keys left unattended by busy mechanics.

Vehicle thefts in London currently run at an average of 5,600 a month and an estimated 34,000 every six months. Last year the force conducted a six-month study of key theft trends and recorded 1,491 thefts where the key was involved including carjacking, petrol station drive-aways, test-drive thefts and others.

So are we all feeling reassured now?
Old 12 March 2002, 05:49 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

So are we all feeling reassured now?
As long as I have my "mini-me" next to me, I'm okay. I'm just waiting to be car-jacked just to see how the law would deal with me.
Old 13 March 2002, 10:02 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Red face

Vehicle thefts in London currently run at an average of 5,600 a month
That's nearly 200 a day!!! Yep, I'm feeling very reassured!
Old 13 March 2002, 10:18 AM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs down

Why does that not surprise me that the police aren't interested?????
Old 13 March 2002, 10:36 AM
ago2
Scooby Regular

I had a letter through on saturday from Kent police saying that as a registered owner of Impreza P1 ,in the light of what happened last week , to take care and extra security measures. They also said that if i had any queries or points to discuss to phone them and they would only be too happy to help.

It was reassuring to me that at least they were taking an interest.

Andy
Old 13 March 2002, 10:38 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

In all honesty, that is just paperwork, when it comes to taking action, where are they???????
Old 13 March 2002, 12:50 PM
ago2
Scooby Regular

You didn't read it fully! They were offering to discuss safety measures and concerns , offer advice - this is not just paperwork!
The whole scheme is part of Operation Igneous a home office project.

the real problem lies in the courts and with the law - just releases people with fines or to do community service then to go and commit the same offences again.

Andy
Old 13 March 2002, 01:00 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Smile

Then you must be lucky to have a police force than can be bothered.
Old 13 March 2002, 01:21 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

The reality is that the Police have lost interest in dealing with crime that involves the thieft of property or the use of drugs. this has allowed these types of crimes to spiral out of control so the criminals in these area's know they are very unlikely to be caught. frequently property is stolen to support the illegal drug use the law abiding individual deserted by the police have made they property more difficult to steal so the criminal just rises to the challange and now takes the car with the keys in. the next logical step is not to murder you there and then for the keys but to make you drive the car to some where quiet where they can over come the new security devices like tracker and black jack and then murder you. where if the Police had stopped this when they started stealing cars years ago we would not be in this mess.

the other strange thing is how the number of convictions for speeding have soared in the last three years i wonder if there is the same percentage increase in convictions for bulgary and mugging? If not may be there should be a government investigation into why the motorist is being targeted and persecuted for such minor offences when the conviction rate for more serious offences is so poor!