ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Boost Gauges et al

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2001, 10:25 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I'm planning on fitting (or having fitted by someone who knows what they're doing) a boost gauge. I don't like the look of the A pillar or steering column gauges so am thinking of getting the Scoobymania triple gauge pod. The only trouble is, what other two gauges do I fit as well? I was thinking of an Oil pressure gauge but really have no real idea of which gauges would provide the most useful information for "enthusiastic" road driving.
Anybody got any useful ideas/knowledge?
Thanks.
Old 09 January 2001, 10:48 PM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

A quality boost gauge is a must and I like to see oil pressure and temperature too. The boost gauge is obvious but oil pressure is a sensitive issue. When cold, you can get problems by operating your engine at high revs and therefore too much oil pressure can in some cases cause almost as much damage as too little i.e. blown gaskets etc. Oil temp is also useful as many people incorrectly believe that it is ok to thrash the car once the water temp gauge reads normal (usually after a couple of minutes) oil on the other hand can take up to 10-12 minutes to get up to the correct operating temp and therefore this type of gauge can be especially useful, particularely if you use your car on track days and are stopping and starting the engine frequently. In my opinion, a lack of volts and amps has never blown up one of my engines.

[This message has been edited by Mike@PD (edited 09 January 2001).]
Old 10 January 2001, 09:13 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I am also thinking of putting oil temp & pressure with a boost gauge in the central console (MY97).
I have heard that it is difficult to squeeze three 52mm gauges in the space available. There is a combination electrical oil temp & pressure gauge from SPA Design. This would save space. Anyone have any comments on their suitablity?
The SPA gauge uses electrical pick ups, can they be paired up with the Scooby sensor points or is the later mechanical sensors?
Old 10 January 2001, 11:00 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

I'm too considering the same - what about the alternative gauges, like exhaust gas temp?
Old 11 January 2001, 08:39 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The scoobymania pod should be perfect - I've seen a prototype and it looked good.

I'm with Mike on the gauge selections, too. Oil temp as it's surprising how long it takes to warm the oil, oil pressure for indications that everything is working nicely, and boost gauge because it looks pretty and moves the most out of the three.

Butty, I've got three 52mm autometer gauges in a pod from GGR with no problems. 52mm gauges don't quite fit in the Subaru pod, but can be made to fit with a bit of persuasion. Stef has done this - <A HREF=http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/stef/interiorpics.htm>follow this link for the results</A>

Exhaust temp is useful if you know what it means . I think it can be indicative of running too lean if your EGT is too high. It has been pointed out before that a different position of the sender can radically change the reading, so it can be difficult to compare readings between cars. Scoobymania's downpipe has a port for such a sender, so if everyone uses that DP we'll get comparable readings, and Mike will retire

Stef has gone for an AFR (Air/Fuel Ratio) unit too, which looks like disco lights . Gives the same indication as EGT - ie are you running too lean.

For an online guide as to how to fit gauges, I've put my experiences on the web.
Old 11 January 2001, 01:42 PM
Simon R
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know what gauges STi use for their optional guage pack?
Old 11 January 2001, 02:26 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've seen an STI column mounted boost gauge before, but that's it.

Prodrive used to produce a gauge pack in the past, apparently, but have stopped doing so. Local dealer doesn't know why...
Old 11 January 2001, 03:05 PM
Ade
Scooby Regular

Question

Chiark,

How long did it take for your Autometers to come through?

I've heard reports of people waiting months for them to appear.

Do Scoobymania keep them in stock or are they supplied to order?
Old 11 January 2001, 03:17 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I picked mine up a few days after ordering them from Scoobymania.

Scoobymania do carry some stock, but they're not a massive operation so may not have everything - give either Mike or Gavin a bell on 0115 913 3199.

I spoke to real steel, the distributors, and they have the three that I fitted in stock (on 8th Jan) - Scoobymania is cheaper though. If you want 'em, you should be able to get 'em from SM who will in turn get 'em from Real Steel should they be out of stock
Old 11 January 2001, 03:42 PM
Ade
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks!

Enquired at Demon Tweeks, £56+vat for the boost gauge, and a 3 week wait!