To Tracker, or not to Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2008, 01:59 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Tracker, or not to Tracker

That is the question.

My STI has just reached 3 years old. Only intended to keep it for 2 years Max.

Anyway, my Tracker subscription has come in at Approx £130 per year.

My Question is, How many New age Scooby owner's have cancelled their tracker subscription? And how hard/easy was it to renew you insurance without an active Tracker on it?

Just talked to my insurance company (A-Plan) and they say that as the car is now worth about £15k to replace at a main dealer, no active tracker should only cost me another £40 onto of my renewal figure. Insurance is due in 3 months time. £35 now if I don't renew my Tracker untill the end of my insurance policy.

Does this sound right? Just £40 for no Tracker?

Your thoughts/comments please.

Also, if I don't renew my Tracker policy, do they switch it off. ie, no more draining the Battery flat in 3 days?
Old 07 May 2008, 02:14 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i bought my wrx,it had a tracker monitor fitted but i didnt get it activated.However,after about three years and some modifications,i had it re-activated.I paid about £300 for the lifetime cover.I can forget about it now.
You only need to read the recent threads about people having their cars stolen with inactive trackers or no trackers,to realise its only a small amount of cash compared with the hassle of having your car nicked.I know the tracker wont stop it getting nicked,but the recovery rate is very good.
Also,tracker wont activate a dormant system when contacted by the police.You will still have to pay the sub,to get it activated.The signal is then boosted for recovery.
Old 07 May 2008, 02:26 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I used to have a tracker. I haven't bothered with one for several years now. Don't bother renewing is my advice. I shouldn't think I'd want my car back after it's been stolen either. Just buy a disclok. I've had one since they first came out.

Billy, so there's no hassle when they recover your stolen vehicle? So there won't be any damage, compound/recovery fees, hpi registered as stolen? Less hassle never seeing it again IMHO. Also perchance have you read the threads where active trackers don't work like my old tracker didn't?

Your £300 lifetime cover doesn't cover the lifetime of the car only the time you own it. I recommend if you do have a tracker to regularly call the tracking firm and ask them to locate your car, don't be surprised if they can't.
Old 07 May 2008, 02:34 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Just had my renewal for £132, had it 3 years and have paid yearly for cover (should have gone for the £300 for the time I own the car). Not gonna remew this time. Didn't make any difference to my insurance premium whether I had it or not. The money saved will be better spent on V-Power!
Old 07 May 2008, 02:58 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I have no tracker and it was not required for the insurance (also A Plan).

I had other security devices which i felt superceded the tracker.

How many people get their car back because of them anyway?!?!
Old 07 May 2008, 03:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat

How many people get their car back because of them anyway?!?!
Or want it back?

Personaly if mine is ever knicked, I'd rather it was found upside down in a ditch, burnt out. With the thieving f*cker still inside.

Thanks for the responces.
Think you've made my mind up now. Won't renew the Tracker subs.

Cheers
Old 07 May 2008, 03:16 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Or want it back?

Personaly if mine is ever knicked, I'd rather it was found upside down in a ditch, burnt out. With the thieving f*cker still inside.
Exactly!
Old 07 May 2008, 03:22 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

What about the Battery issue.

Does the Tracker not being active stop the battery running flat, or does it still pull juice from the battery?
Old 07 May 2008, 03:26 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

What about the Battery issue.

Does the Tracker not being active stop the battery running flat, or does it still pull juice from the battery?
Is the battery issue a common occurance? I have a 2005 STI with tracker active and have left it for 2 weeks or more and never had a problem, I regularly leave it for 7 days sat in the garage between uses.
AC
Old 07 May 2008, 03:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alpha charlie
Is the battery issue a common occurance? I have a 2005 STI with tracker active and have left it for 2 weeks or more and never had a problem, I regularly leave it for 7 days sat in the garage between uses.
AC
Think some cars are affected and others not. Left mine for 2.5 days and it Just turned over. Another few hours and I doubt it would have.
I thinks it's something to do with the Tracker not going into sleep mode.
Old 07 May 2008, 03:44 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I had a similar issue re: power but a change of battery fixed it. A weak battery will quickly be affected by something like that.

I got a tracker because otherwise i couldn't have got insurance. For the second year i moved to Keith Michaels and it is unnecessary. I've kept it on though because at £11 a month i don't really see the issue, it is another safety net (if they nick it and park up somewhere) and i figure it will help with the sell on, especially if the new owner needs it.

5t.
Old 07 May 2008, 04:11 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Never renewed the Tracker subscription after the free period was over - car is insured with Bell who only add a small amount (£20-30) for a years cover without the Tracker.
Old 07 May 2008, 04:33 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i didnt renew mine . a said above if its nicked i dont reall want it back lol
Old 07 May 2008, 05:34 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alpha charlie
AC
You're a lucky sonofa....

Mine will go flat after a week, even without the tracker (and fan on #1).
Old 07 May 2008, 06:18 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
You're a lucky sonofa....

Mine will go flat after a week, even without the tracker (and fan on #1).

Guess I am lucky then, I liftshare to work so often will park it up on a thursday night then not use it till a week next monday. Touchwood its never failed to start on me yet.

As for the tracker i'm due renewal this month so will see what A-plan say as tracker is currently a must on this policy.
AC
Old 07 May 2008, 06:48 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

i hummed and arrred wen mine renewal was up..id just changed to a plan who said it wasnt required...but i must admit i renewed at £130....

waste of money...mmmm depends how you look....i had my old ctr nicked 2 years ago and they found it anyway....wud i want it back.....not if it had been thrashed to buggery and crashed.....but yes if was in 1 piece...for the sake of £130...prob change my mind next year tho....lol...again depends on insurance if aplan decide next year you must have it then itl cost more to get reinstated.....
Old 07 May 2008, 10:14 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Am sure i read that some trackers are activated if the alarm goes off (they can telephone you) which is probably worth the renewal fee to catch the w*ankers trying to nick it/damage it. I am never that far away from it
I haven't bothered renewing mine yet as theft here is very rare insurance company didn't even want to know about the alarm but if I am keeping the car for life might get it for piece of mind.
How do you find out if the tracker actually works before you pay out the renewal fee?
Old 08 May 2008, 07:18 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by rbaz
How do you find out if the tracker actually works before you pay out the renewal fee?
As mentioned above, call the tracking company and ask them to locate the car.
Old 08 May 2008, 08:12 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

I found my Tracker in my old car by mistake (taking panels off to find a rattle) ...would've taken about 2 mins for a decent car thief to do the same, hence never bothered with them since
Old 08 May 2008, 08:46 AM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Hi Wayne, We weren't required by new ins company keith michaels to have tracker and the guy I spoke to said it wasn't really worth having one anyway due to several reasons he gave to me which made my mind up not to renew.

We used to be with A-plan but the renewal quote was noway near as competitive as KM. We are talking hundreds here so sent A-plan packing and bit Gary's hand off at Keith Michaels!

See you soon on our morning passes(one day i will be behind you or in front ), Take care, Laura.
Old 08 May 2008, 09:52 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi Lou
Hi Wayne, We weren't required by new ins company keith michaels to have tracker and the guy I spoke to said it wasn't really worth having one anyway due to several reasons he gave to me which made my mind up not to renew.

We used to be with A-plan but the renewal quote was noway near as competitive as KM. We are talking hundreds here so sent A-plan packing and bit Gary's hand off at Keith Michaels!
Ditto here. Used to be with A-Plan but KM were quite a bit cheaper this year, and don't require a tracker. I used to subscribe on my previous STI, but have not bothered with this one. It just seems a lot of money for a service of doubtful value. My car is always garaged, the garage and house are alarmed, I never take it anywhere dodgy, etc. I'm sure if the car ever did get stolen I might regret it, but until that day...
Old 08 May 2008, 10:14 AM
Blacksimus
Scooby Regular

Scooby I just bought came with an inactive tracker system.

I'd rather have a deterrent to prevent the car been nicked rather than have it nicked not knowing what condition you get it back in.

Best advice is a steering lock preferably Disklock and a decent alarm system.
Old 08 May 2008, 02:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi Lou

See you soon on our morning passes(one day i will be behind you or in front ), Take care, Laura.
You're getting me all embarrased now.

Still........... I look forward to that day.I'd prefer to take you from behi...I mean drive behind you.
Old 08 May 2008, 06:53 PM
Cosworth27
Scooby Regular

There will be no taking from behind in my car STILover Unless it is me taking you from behind with a claw hammer.

Stops being a jealous husband

Only Kidding Dont bother with the renewal Wayne just isnt worth it. How many people from Scoobynet have actually had there pride and joy returned through the tracker after there car was stolen.? Now that is a good question I would be interested to know the answer!??
Old 08 May 2008, 08:00 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Smile

You're getting me all embarrased now.

Still........... I look forward to that day.I'd prefer to take you from behi...I mean drive behind you.

Hahaha that's funny I think I'm going to plan an ambush as it is, might pull out from walworth castle and thrash you, trust me it will hurt being taken from behind by a woman no on a more serious note Wayne when we gonna get out to the pennines and tuck into a nice pub lunch whilst drooling at our boooootiful cars? Shall we get it sorted this year as weather shafted our plans last year! Cosworth27 aka Sean's back home in June shall we set a date for then?
See you tomorrow.....maybe
Take care, drive carefully, Laura.

Last edited by STi Lou; 09 May 2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Cosworth27 & STi Lou hoping for pennine stint with Stilover soon!
Old 08 May 2008, 08:20 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Being as young as i was when i first bought the scoob (23) Greenlight insisted on it being fitted/proof of fitting for me to get insurance. I have renewed it for another year but I'm now with A-Plan, if when my insurance is due next year its not necessary then i will be fecking it off.
Old 08 May 2008, 08:28 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

Got to be honest,i couldnt justify the £130 this year.The chances of my car being stolen are slim and as other people have mentioned if it was nicked i wouldnt want it back.Also with kieth micheals.JAY
Old 08 May 2008, 10:19 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

Guys, my 06 Hawkeye STI was stolen last night in Derby. Cops say a Tracker would make it almost certain that they get the car back. Thieves don't look for it. They park the car and see if the cops come - if they do, the thieves walk away and nick another one and the cops recover the car. That's what they sed to me this morning. The thieves broke into me house and stole the keys and got a free Scooby as a result. Left 3 other cars, motorbikes, laptops, mobiles. Very slick and disciplined. Whole family and 2 sons 20 & 22 asleep all the while.
Old 08 May 2008, 10:27 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

I agree that if my pride and joy was nicked i wouldnt want it back either.However and forgive my ignorance if i'm wrong,unless its been irrepairably damaged/not cost effective etc etc,can you as the owner,dictate to your insurance company whether you take your car back or not?.
Speaking from experience,a lot of cars with trackers,are recovered during the "cooling off " period,before they are then used for "earning" purposes.
For the sake of £300,personally(as i cant afford a new motor every other year),id prefer to have mine recovered asap.
And yes ,i know that the subscription only covers the period that i own the car...that suits me fine!
Old 08 May 2008, 10:31 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prwatts
Guys, my 06 Hawkeye STI was stolen last night in Derby. Cops say a Tracker would make it almost certain that they get the car back. Thieves don't look for it. They park the car and see if the cops come - if they do, the thieves walk away and nick another one and the cops recover the car. That's what they sed to me this morning. The thieves broke into me house and stole the keys and got a free Scooby as a result. Left 3 other cars, motorbikes, laptops, mobiles. Very slick and disciplined. Whole family and 2 sons 20 & 22 asleep all the while.
Just to reiterate my comment...

Really sorry to hear about your car.At least nobody was hurt and i hope you get it back asap