Sponsored by:

Front end squirm under braking.

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2008, 09:28 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end squirm under braking.

On a standard bugeye wagon, when braking it seems to squirm a little at the front end, when still in a straight line.

It doesn't feel dangerous, but it does mean I lack a bit of confidence entering a bend - it just feels a little unpredictable as if it's losing grip at the front.

Is this standard, and can it be solved by upgrading droplinks/bushes etc? Or is it the tyres, it's on the standard Poteza REO50's which have plenty of tread on them.
Old 27 April 2008, 09:32 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

When I hard brake the car seems to Endo and the back seems start doing what it wants feels very uncomfortable, I've checked all my brake efficiency's and they are fine think it is Biased a Great deal to the front. think a harder spring rate on the front would help.
Old 27 April 2008, 09:34 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

It sounds normal to me
Old 27 April 2008, 09:36 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Very un-nerving though at high speeds. Think I'm going to sort some prodrive springs out.
Old 27 April 2008, 09:43 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

RE050 aren't particularly confidence inspiring, but on a car of that age I'd be checking everything under the front arches, links, bushes, tie-rods, top-mounts etc. Also worth checking your tyre pressures !

As an aside, you might want to research Roadcraft driving which when implemented will drastically reduce your reliance on the brakes and give a smoother, more balanced driving style whilst significantly increasing overall speed, especially cornering speeds. It's more sympathetic to the car and safer for you too.
Old 27 April 2008, 09:43 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be tyre related, or it could be a geometry issue..... have you had the geometry checked or adjusted..... it makes a huge difference!!!!
Old 27 April 2008, 09:48 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Geometry was done at a Subaru dealer a few years ago, but I was thinking about getting it done again - car pulls a little to the left as well. I know Powerstation are the gods but are a bit far away, heard good things about Mocom, but is there anywhere else near me? SE London/Kent.

The tyres are in good nick, I was also thinking about front and rear droplinks, although I have read that the front bushes aren't great either.
Old 27 April 2008, 09:51 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

My Geometry is **** on, I checked it myself on the Beisbarth at work, I think mine is just down to all the weight being thrown forward and then it leaves the rear a little light.
Old 27 April 2008, 10:07 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The essential first mod to improve the handling of any Scoob is to replace the plastic OE rear droplinks and fit an uprated (usually Whiteline 22mm adjustable) rear ARB. This will reduce understeer by removing a lot of rear body roll, allowing the front tyres to maintain a better alignment with the road. Front droplinks can be done too, although not as important. Decide carefully before fitting an uprated front ARB however, as by limiting all roll can make the car twitchy as you push the limits further. Improving your driving style to stop throwing the cars weight around will help you mostly though, and it can be done free, and the lessons learnt will go with you into every car you ever drive, whilst maybe keeping you alive.
Old 27 April 2008, 10:15 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Agree with a lot of the comments above, my driving could certainly improve and I'm aware of the benefits of the droplinks and rear ARB.

I still think there is an issue with the front end though, surely it shouldn't feel unsettled just braking in a straight line? It feels like the wheel squirms in my hands a bit. Sounds like geometry is the place to start?
Old 27 April 2008, 10:17 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The essential first mod to improve the handling of any Scoob is to replace the plastic OE rear droplinks and fit an uprated (usually Whiteline 22mm adjustable) rear ARB. This will reduce understeer by removing a lot of rear body roll, allowing the front tyres to maintain a better alignment with the road. Front droplinks can be done too, although not as important. Decide carefully before fitting an uprated front ARB however, as by limiting all roll can make the car twitchy as you push the limits further. Improving your driving style to stop throwing the cars weight around will help you mostly though, and it can be done free, and the lessons learnt will go with you into every car you ever drive, whilst maybe keeping you alive.
You seem to speak a great deal of sense, driving style to alter the weight distribution will always help, are you called Corradoboy for any particular reason?
Old 27 April 2008, 10:21 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

yeah, he owned a corrado for a long time
Old 27 April 2008, 10:29 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Too bloody long
Old 27 April 2008, 10:33 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

VR6 or G60?
Old 27 April 2008, 10:36 PM
shawn r
Scooby Regular

lol. my stiv does this as well, even more so with the brembos and performance friction discs and pads, was staring to think of the geometry myself, could this be right?
toyo tyres on and lowered on tein springs. is it worth checking the geo settings first?
cheers
Old 27 April 2008, 10:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by deangtiuk
VR6 or G60?
Neither, a humble 16V, but with no 'charger to rebuild every 30k or that big heavy V6 lump spoiling the handling

Miss the old girl...

...The biatch

BOT
Old 27 April 2008, 10:42 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Sounds like its just the Bias of the front Brakes to me, as if you've uprated them and it worse it has to be maybe it is down to driving style and we're all suffering from a lead right foot??
Old 27 April 2008, 10:44 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Thats a nice looking Corrado you had there, you'd know all about Weight transfer owning a VR6 as I did especially in the wet. weewee here we go again.
Old 27 April 2008, 10:48 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Drop links won't help it's either tired bushes or a heavy handed approach to cornering...
Drop links only do any work when the car is cornering and body roll occurs. Under braking both sides are almost equally loaded, so no effect.

IMHO

DunxC

P.S. Agree it could be the geometry allowing toe-out under braking, best cure is poly bushes, or an expert set-up.
Old 27 April 2008, 11:06 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Drop links won't help it's either tired bushes or a heavy handed approach to cornering...
Drop links only do any work when the car is cornering and body roll occurs. Under braking both sides are almost equally loaded, so no effect.

IMHO

DunxC

P.S. Agree it could be the geometry allowing toe-out under braking, best cure is poly bushes, or an expert set-up.
I've checked all of my bushes and none of them have excessive play or wear, I've personally checked Geo settings on a callibrated wheel alignment computer and are perfect, I honestly think mine is down to weight distribution
all the weight at the front and rear as very little maybe a little harder dampening rate on the front and hard front springs.
Old 28 April 2008, 12:48 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hmmm.....
Old 28 April 2008, 02:01 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hi Ewan & greetings from the knackered dads of SE London Association

Not the best tyres IMHO and probably the geometry would make a big difference.

I've not once had a decent set up done by mainstream dealers - their delivery tolerances, for instance, allow front suspension set up to be deemed acceptable in a range from positive to negative camber. My P1 was negative on one side and positive on the other after one such "setting up".... to the extent that I could see it as soon as I walked up.

As you know, I haven't been to Mocom yet, but I have heard good things about their set up. Elite Tyres over in Dagenham also has a pretty good reputation, but Powerstation in Tewkesbury, Glos seem to be the most respected and practised on Scoobies. Can be done in a day so it's a good excuse to have a sneaky driving day. Mutant Matt Collier has had experience of them and speaks highly.

Bug eyes usually don't need it but the sort of thing you're describing sounds a bit like bumpsteer too.

See you round

John
Old 28 April 2008, 02:16 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by escott
On a standard bugeye wagon, when braking it seems to squirm a little at the front end, when still in a straight line.

It doesn't feel dangerous, but it does mean I lack a bit of confidence entering a bend - it just feels a little unpredictable as if it's losing grip at the front.

Is this standard, and can it be solved by upgrading droplinks/bushes etc? Or is it the tyres, it's on the standard Poteza REO50's which have plenty of tread on them.
It might just be hard sidewalls on the tyres. Is that the only handling erm... feature? Does it handle motorway tramlines and ruts well at all?
Old 28 April 2008, 10:10 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Hi Ewan & greetings from the knackered dads of SE London Association

Not the best tyres IMHO and probably the geometry would make a big difference.

I've not once had a decent set up done by mainstream dealers - their delivery tolerances, for instance, allow front suspension set up to be deemed acceptable in a range from positive to negative camber. My P1 was negative on one side and positive on the other after one such "setting up".... to the extent that I could see it as soon as I walked up.

As you know, I haven't been to Mocom yet, but I have heard good things about their set up. Elite Tyres over in Dagenham also has a pretty good reputation, but Powerstation in Tewkesbury, Glos seem to be the most respected and practised on Scoobies. Can be done in a day so it's a good excuse to have a sneaky driving day. Mutant Matt Collier has had experience of them and speaks highly.

Bug eyes usually don't need it but the sort of thing you're describing sounds a bit like bumpsteer too.

See you round

John
Hi John, didn't know you went under that username!

All roads seem to point to Powerstation at the moment, although I think I'll let Mr. Collier have a drive and see what he thinks when I see him in June. I'm also going to see Andy Walsh at North Weald for some driver instruction that day so I'll get a few opinions.

I'd be interested to know how you get on over at Mocom if you go, or from anyone else who has had alignment done there.

Vindaloo, yes, it does seem to tramline a wee bit - nothing too serious though. I've just been out for a test and to be honest, the actual problem doesn't feel really bad, just something I'm sure I can get rid of which will improve the feel of the car.