Sponsored by:

Petrol problems

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2008, 11:50 AM
WRX-DAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol problems

I have had to put normal 95RON petrol into my jap scooby as there is absolutly no super unleaded anywhere. I have a problem that there is only 2 petrol stations where i live to get it from and they are both out for a couple of weeks! This leave me no option but to use normal stuff. Am i going to get any problems from this? i know the die hard scooby drivers dont like this but in truth what may happen? A re-map to uk fuel might be a solution for me any ideas how much this may cost?
Old 27 April 2008, 11:58 AM
black subaru 06
Scooby Regular

you couls always use some octane booster. if ur not bootinf it everywhere it shouldnt make much difference
Old 27 April 2008, 01:38 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

as said normal unleaded will be fine just don't boot it at all, and it will last for another day
Old 27 April 2008, 05:38 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said, keep the boost level low. This is your chance to do some economy motoring! Go on, see if you can get 30 to the gallon!
JohnD
Old 28 April 2008, 09:10 PM
WRX-DAN
Scooby Regular

lol! so i should only use this petrol when i cannot get super?

Super around my area is only 97RON and premium is 95RON. is 2RON going to make that much difference and cause "detonation" of my engine like i have heard? The boost is only set at o.75 bar to its not especially high
Old 28 April 2008, 09:24 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

imho it wont make any difference if you use super or normal........
Old 28 April 2008, 09:27 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

don't you believe it m8!!! add some booster or you will be sorry in more ways than one !!
Old 28 April 2008, 09:28 PM
WRX-DAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scatty
imho it wont make any difference if you use super or normal........
good good! Doesnt seem right to spend £1.21/ltr for super when normal is £1.7/ltr for only 2RON less
Old 28 April 2008, 09:37 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Dont want to hyjack the thread, but, my car is mapped for Tesco99 running 1.5bar of boost and the twice I've put 95ron in it has ran like an absolute bag of nails. Boost cut/fuel cut over 5000rpm. the thing nosedives like a ****** f*cker.
TBH, the first time I put £10 in to get me to Tesco and came across a Civic TypeR and thought I'd have a little play. When the cut out came in, I shat my pants and layed off thinking it was something else.
Filled it up with Tesco99 and ran the full tank off boost, fearing for my bottom end.
The next full tank of Tesco, it ran like a dream, so after that I did another £10 test of 95ron and it was the exact same, bag of poo poo.

Needless to say, if my nearest Tesco garage runs out of 99, my Impreza wont be turning a wheel.
Old 28 April 2008, 09:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX-DAN
good good! Doesnt seem right to spend £1.21/ltr for super when normal is £1.7/ltr for only 2RON less
you'll be saying that when faced with a £3k engine rebuild.

in jap cars, you should be putting in 98-99ron. ask anyone knowledgeable on here and they will say the same thing. you put it in for a reason, basically the jap fuel is of a higher ron rating than uk fuel, 98-100ron. hence why so many peopel when importing jap cars have them mapped for uk fuel. otherwise det is all wrong and can cause dreaded bottom end knocking.

trust me, i know it happened to me two octobers ago and i wasnt in the situation to have the engine rebuilt, so it went for a pittance. if you can afford the good stuff for what is a performance car, buy a diesel

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 28 April 2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: by the way... nice car, but i am biased.
Old 28 April 2008, 09:49 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

97 ron is the minimum imo.
Ran my 93wrx on 95 for about a year without a problem but soon found out that the smoothness and performance of the car was much improved with higher ron fuel.
Old 28 April 2008, 09:52 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

As above.

Beleive me it makes a difference.

Forgot to add to my previous reply, in my more ignorant days, I bought a Legacy RS twin turbo from around the Yorkshire area.
It sounded great at 11.30 in the morning. It was started from cold and was quiet as a mouse and I promptly bought it.

I knew about the RON thing and never bothered my ar*e thinking "it wont happen to me" and filled it up at some garage with cheap crap I'd never heard of.
By the time I'd got it home (260miles later) the bottom end had gone.
260miles@85mph=Death.

Thankfully, someone pulled out in front of me at a set of lights after less than 2 weeks of ownership and my insurance paid out.
Old 28 April 2008, 10:11 PM
WRX-DAN
Scooby Regular

thanks for letting me know or i would be in some debt for sure. I have no choice for now as the two garages are out of it for a week of 2! how much would a remap to uk fuel cost, any ideas?
Old 28 April 2008, 10:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

thanks for letting me know or i would be in some debt for sure. I have no choice for now as the two garages are out of it for a week of 2! how much would a remap to uk fuel cost, any ideas?
general remaps are anything from £600-1000, but release a few more ponies without significant mods.

my uk classic is 215bhp standard, have a 3" nur spec-r exhaust. so currently about 230-235 maybe. a £600 remap with no further mods would probably see 265-270bhp/touque add a bigger turbo injectors, fuel pump.... 300+

easiest thing to do if you dont wanna risk it is buy the normal 95 ron, but put octane booster in each tank full. thats the safe option, as jap cars are mapped differently for higher grade fuels and it could make a serious difference on an older car. i think the ecu has something to do with it too, with det, knock etc. again above my head, but i am speaking from experience.
Old 28 April 2008, 10:40 PM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

mate i have a uk turbo thats standard and she only gets VPOWER put in her
if ur gonna have a performance vehicle treat it how it should be treated!!
u cannot run an impreza on cheap fuel, it will only come back to bite u in the ***!
if ur that worried whilst fuel is scarce get a £100 banger to commute in
Old 28 April 2008, 10:57 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I have had to put normal 95RON petrol into my jap scooby as there is absolutly no super unleaded anywhere. I have a problem that there is only 2 petrol stations where i live to get it from and they are both out for a couple of weeks! This leave me no option but to use normal stuff. Am i going to get any problems from this? i know the die hard scooby drivers dont like this but in truth what may happen? A re-map to uk fuel might be a solution for me any ideas how much this may cost?
IMO this....

You have a Jap spec car with improved induction and exhaust. This changes the requirements of the engine before you start feeding it on "Diet" petrol. Unless you KNOW it's safe on 95RON, drive it like a Nun.

AFAIK your ECU is not remap-able. You'd need a Power FC or similar replacement ECU and a remap.

J