Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel powered Subaru Impreza STI?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2008, 04:21 PM
scoobydazzler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel powered Subaru Impreza STI?

According to Autoexpress, Subaru is working on a diesel version of the new Impreza WRX. It will be powered by a 2.0-litre unit that delivers 148 bhp. A tuned version with 180bhp could be used in a STI version.
Old 31 March 2008, 04:24 PM
scooby_diver
Scooby Regular

It's the only way that Subaru will actually get to sell any of the WRX. Who would want to buy such an ugly car and get 28mpg !!!

At least it would appeal to more people.

STi would be OK but then it's not really an STi is it ?
Old 31 March 2008, 08:39 PM
scoobydazzler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_diver
It's the only way that Subaru will actually get to sell any of the WRX. Who would want to buy such an ugly car and get 28mpg !!!

tuned by sti 180bhp and 400nm torque
Old 31 March 2008, 09:44 PM
TINO.wrx
Scooby Regular

no, it would be called an STd!!!!!Lol

steve

Originally Posted by scooby_diver

Old 31 March 2008, 10:14 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You need to try a re-map Fabia VRS....
I got a passenger ride on Sat. it's all over by 4.5 K but boy does it go.... 400 lb.ft is possible even if it's "only" 220 bhp ( like that matters ! ).
Then there is the 50 mpg that's still available too !

I look forward to a re-mapped STD... even if I couldn't afford one !

DunxC
Old 02 April 2008, 12:45 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

180bhp and 300 lbft torque (400Nm) ISN'T good enough to call it an STi.

BMW are are that level already.
Audi / VW / Seat / Skoda have a 200bhp 2.0 in the pipeline

Vauxhall (Fiat) engine have a 2.0 at 220bhp due soon.

So driving a 180bhp STi diesel, will see you blown away by Mr Sales Rep in his Vectra, and you won't know what he's laughing at either. The fact he's blown away an STi, or at it's looks.
Old 02 April 2008, 12:46 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

old news im afriad mate.
Old 02 April 2008, 01:00 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The BMW 123D has a 2.0 engine producing 204 bhp right now. What they've done with diesel engines lately is astonishing IMHO - the 2.0 engine now is delivering the exact same power and torque as my 330d, and even that's only four years old.

Subaru used to enjoy an enormous performance advantage over the competition, but that's completely lost now. An STI from the mid-90s represented amazing performance compared to the competition, but not any more.
Old 02 April 2008, 02:24 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I'd go for a new lightweight "Spec D"

I think to be justifiable, it'd have to somewhat exceed 200bhp though. And with the current SOtA that's a little difficult whilst meeting the emissions regs and not overcomplicating things. I'd imagine twin or twin-compound turbos would be required.

I wonder if Subaru can stretch the flat4 diesel and make a flat 6 diesel? Didn't I read that it's more compact and shorter than the current 2.0 flat4 petrol?

J.
Old 02 April 2008, 02:29 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
You need to try a re-map Fabia VRS....
I got a passenger ride on Sat. it's all over by 4.5 K but boy does it go.... 400 lb.ft is possible even if it's "only" 220 bhp ( like that matters ! ).
Then there is the 50 mpg that's still available too !

I look forward to a re-mapped STD... even if I couldn't afford one !

DunxC
I've got a remapped vRS and it's a great drive. Really pulls from almost tickover and shocks plenty of people.

I almost always get over 50 MPG.
Old 02 April 2008, 06:39 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
The BMW 123D has a 2.0 engine producing 204 bhp right now. What they've done with diesel engines lately is astonishing IMHO - the 2.0 engine now is delivering the exact same power and torque as my 330d, and even that's only four years old.

Subaru used to enjoy an enormous performance advantage over the competition, but that's completely lost now. An STI from the mid-90s represented amazing performance compared to the competition, but not any more.
Although I agree in terms of UK cars, I can't help but think that the JDM models are quite kickass?
Old 02 April 2008, 07:22 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Each to their own I guess, but I sold my '05 JDM STI to buy the 330d - and haven't regretted it for a moment.
Old 05 October 2008, 05:18 AM
zxr750Nick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Each to their own I guess, but I sold my '05 JDM STI to buy the 330d - and haven't regretted it for a moment.
Well I get my 123d next week so should be able to report back on it soon.

Nick
Old 05 October 2008, 07:31 AM
stuart2088
Scooby Regular

Default LEGACY DIESEL.

ALL i would say regarding this discussion is assuming your not one of the anti- diesel brigade!!! to try a Subaru diesel preferably one that has covered a few miles.

As in my case 16000 miles in five months.

You may be surprised how well they go. Then again you may not.

But at least try one and speak from experience.

MPG is a big factor to me and the fact its reluctant to drop below 40 mpg despite hard/spirited/enthusiastic use is a bonus.
Old 05 October 2008, 11:25 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have to say that I think diesel is the way forward, even in the UK's tax-grabbing market, where diesel is dearer than petrol

However, I'm a little disbelieving of claims for 50mpg out of an engine already tuned by it's maker, then remapped to add around 20% more power and torque. Sorry, I just find it hard to believe in these days of lardy heavy cars

I've read plenty on the Cupra forums who readily admit that their remapped charges won't return the VERY high mpg.

And at around 90p a gallon dearer than petrol, and the extra to BUY the diesel powered car in the first place, highly tuned diesels may turn out to be an anachronism

Alcazar

Alcazar
Old 05 October 2008, 12:01 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

There was an article in evo mag recently comparing decent bhp diesels incl the BMW Bi turbo and the 123d M Sport, they also had a Megane RS 225 LPG in there and the Megane came out on top for running costs
The BMW was 14k dearer than the Megane as well
Old 06 October 2008, 09:47 AM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
And at around 90p a gallon dearer than petrol, and the extra to BUY the diesel powered car in the first place, highly tuned diesels may turn out to be an anachronism
You need to cover 50K miles to recoup the extra initial outlay and fuel cost, at today's rates, is what I heard.
Old 06 October 2008, 12:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abc
You need to cover 50K miles to recoup the extra initial outlay and fuel cost, at today's rates, is what I heard.
That's right, so people who don't keep the car for very long, or don't do many miles, are fooked.

And that's at present petrol/diesel differential Any bets on it getting larger

Alcazar
Old 06 October 2008, 12:29 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

I've read plenty on the Cupra forums who readily admit that their remapped charges won't return the VERY high mpg.
Not sure about a re-map'd TDi but our Leon Cupra TDi returns mid 50's all the time... even if you rag the *rse off it you'll never drop below 40. Can't imagine a remap'd one being that much worse if at all, unless all you were doing was planting the foot constantly thru' all the gears but that's not the way to drive a TDi anyway.
Old 06 October 2008, 03:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by IainCam
Not sure about a re-map'd TDi but our Leon Cupra TDi returns mid 50's all the time... even if you rag the *rse off it you'll never drop below 40. Can't imagine a remap'd one being that much worse if at all, unless all you were doing was planting the foot constantly thru' all the gears but that's not the way to drive a TDi anyway.
But that's my point, Ian, the un-remapped ones will do the 50+mpg, but will the remapped ones? And if not, what WILL they do?

And is it worth it when even at 50+mpg, it's 50,000 miles to payback? What then, would be the POINT of a diesel?

Oh, and just as an aside, WHY is the UK the only country I can find where diesel is DEARER than petrol?

Alcazar
Old 06 October 2008, 04:01 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

But that's my point, Ian, the un-remapped ones will do the 50+mpg, but will the remapped ones? And if not, what WILL they do?

And is it worth it when even at 50+mpg, it's 50,000 miles to payback? What then, would be the POINT of a diesel?

Oh, and just as an aside, WHY is the UK the only country I can find where diesel is DEARER than petrol?

Alcazar
Well I'm rarely on the cupra.net forums now, but when I got the car to start with there seemed to be plenty of people with the REVO remap that were still able to get roughly the same mpg out of them after the remap that they did beforehand.

I've managed 60mpg+ out of it on the trip to work (although that took a bit of doing).

The point of the TDi (for us) is that it makes a pretty cheap 2nd car (well... wifes main car). Tax is £120 for the year, insurance (even on the Cupra model) is cheap and even allowing for diesel being more expensive than petrol, it has a decent range (550-600 miles+ out of a tank).

A rolling road print out shows that up to about 3000rpm, the Leon has more power and torque than the 06 STi, obviously once past 3k the STi has huge amounts more of both. It is a nippy car though, not in the same league as an STi, but is more than quick enough to keep up with normal traffic.

Your point about payback times doesn't really apply for me, in that we have no plans to get shot of it, it's so cheap to run (plus we've done over 50k in it now anyway ), but IIRC there wasn't a *HUGE* difference in price between the petrol Cupra and the TDi Cupra... maybe a grand or so, but nothing huge. Would doubt that the petrol engined version did much more than 30mpg usually and probably nearer 20mpg or less when pushed on (or modified). So you'd get 1.5-2 times the distance with the TDi... wouldn't think that'd take 50k to claw back.

I was planning on REVO'ing the Leon but *SHE* didn't want it... so I "played" with the STi instead
Old 06 October 2008, 05:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong, Ian, if I changed my car now, no way would I have another scoob..........cost too much to run, and put to shame by too many hot hatches unless you're willing to spend money on mods

Nope, I'd be looking at an Ibiza or a Leon, TDi.

Alcazar
Old 06 October 2008, 05:36 PM
suretrack
Scooby Newbie

The WRX is an emotional and powerfull car sure it is not for everybody it is for those who can appreciate the beauty of this car, some time ago I read an article who said who need All Wheel Drive I can see other manufuctures introducing the 4 wheel drive now, Subaru has always been ahead of others, glad I own a WRX 08
Old 06 October 2008, 07:04 PM
mikesfarm1
Scooby Regular

On the whole subaru diesel thing.My father keeps informing me that subaru are not the first to manufacture a boxer diesel. He say their was a van called a comma that had boxer diesel in the 60's or 70's. And they used to blow up all the time.
This post is of no significance or use to the original thread. just thought someone might have know if this was the case.
Old 06 October 2008, 08:46 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikesfarm1
On the whole subaru diesel thing.My father keeps informing me that subaru are not the first to manufacture a boxer diesel. He say their was a van called a comma that had boxer diesel in the 60's or 70's. And they used to blow up all the time.
This post is of no significance or use to the original thread. just thought someone might have know if this was the case.
Only thing I can find online about it seems to indicate it was different type of engine with pistons on either side or something. Sounded a bit wierd... 'tis a Commer Van though I think, rather than comma (in case anyone else wants a night time surfin' to find out one way or the other )