Sponsored by:

Parking fines by CCTV

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2008, 01:05 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking fines by CCTV

Just thought you should know that the government have now been trialling the use of CCTV cameras for detecting people/cars that should be fined (double yellow, incorrect parking, etc) and they can send it by post without having to stick a ticket on your window. Now that in itself isn't bad but some of the areas where it has been trialled people have had false ones sent where (because of time delay cameras) it's looked they had parked in the wrong place when in fact they had been turning in the road or waiting momentarily to get into a parking space lol Now it will be traffic warden's by stealth (On top of the increased parking fines)......

Put your name on this list https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...e-protest.html

It's growing.....
Old 31 March 2008, 01:26 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

this already happens afaik?
Old 31 March 2008, 01:30 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

I saw this on the news this morning (BBC if anyone else saw it?).

It suprises me that they are putting a technology into force that clearly still has potential to incorrectly fine quite a potentially large volume of people. You only have to look at Speed Cameras which the govenment have had to pass back alot of monies back to consumers because even they have operated and issued incorrectly (and this is a far better tested and reliable technology).

Their answer on the news was that they have improved the 'Appeal Process' to cope with this... now correct me if im wrong, but does this not seem like a really **** about face way of dealing with an issue? Perhaps delay the launch and focus the resource into solving the potential mis-issue of a ticket rather than getting peoples backs up because they are constantly being issued incorrect parking tickets due to inconsistent and poorly developed technology.

Im sure we will all agree that if this technology can be accurate, then its a step forward. It not only will issue tickets to those that deserve it, but also will eliminate tickets to those that dont because an 'Attendant' is perhaps having a bad day... but implementing such a technology knowing that it will incorrectly issue a ticket for people that perhaps move out of the way of an emergency vehicle, or even stopped waiting to turn is just stopping it from being able to be used constructively because the public will not see it as a positive step forward.
Old 31 March 2008, 01:31 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Yep. Someone I know keeps getting them for waiting on the red lines outside work for the gates to open.
Old 31 March 2008, 01:33 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
Yep. Someone I know keeps getting them for waiting on the red lines outside work for the gates to open.
My point exactly. Postive technology, that will be tainted with negative press because of poor development and implementation.
Old 31 March 2008, 01:38 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marmski
Their answer on the news was that they have improved the 'Appeal Process' to cope with this... now correct me if im wrong, but does this not seem like a really **** about face way of dealing with an issue?.
I thought that too. Also there wasn't much of an answer to the "well what if you just happen to stop in traffic and are not actually parked". Well you can appeal. Erm isn't someone meant to prove you were parked incorrectly first?

These camera's will be rolled out, I give absolutely no credence to the "well they will only be used in exception circumstances answer.
Old 31 March 2008, 02:20 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Havering, Essex, there are two Smart cars with cameras poking out of the roof on telescopic arms, just like a periscope. They go round filming naughty parkers and the next thing you know, you've got a parking fine complete with pretty picture, on your mat!
Both my son and daughter have been caught parking on the crossover to our house. As the wife works for Havering council it was easy to find that as our road is deemed to be a footway parking road (albeit, not actually in our part) we contested the fines and got them cancelled. (knew the missus was good for something, just never knew what! ) There must be lots of people who just never knew about this, and coughed up 60 quid!
JohnD
Old 31 March 2008, 02:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Thumbs down

Nineteen Eighty-Four - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TX.
Old 31 March 2008, 02:25 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been victim of the Smart cars too. Parking over my drive with two wheels on the kerb. Its a wide pavement with more then enough space to still allow pedestrians through. But its a fine to park any wheels on a kerb anywhere in Havering, apart from selected bays.
Old 31 March 2008, 02:33 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its a brave new world, isnt it?
Old 31 March 2008, 03:40 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
....There must be lots of people who just never knew about this, and coughed up 60 quid!
JohnD
This is the issue, they don't care about whether the technology is working reasonably because 'enough' people will not complain about the tickets they shouldn't have and will just pay up. Also the quote "this is not another money making scheme to help council budgets ......" is classic.

Remember this "If you earn X a year you will give on average 50% minimum of it to the government..."

Do the sums on yourself and see if I'm wrong

1) NI
2) PAYE
3) VAT payments (for goods you buy)
4) Insurance Priemium Tax
5) Council Tax
6) 80%+ tax in fuel
7) And all the other 'must pay' taxes, licenses, fees or whatever

you will give more than 50% of what you earn to the government. God help you if you have to take the toll road regularly, visit Central London on a few occasions. Get caught waiting at 'targeted' areas, etc.

Sorry to keep repeating.... My point is what are they doing with the money we are already giving them????
Old 31 March 2008, 03:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by reano
My point is what are they doing with the money we are already giving them????
Dunno, but they sure as hell are fukcin' desperate for more

Alcazar
Old 31 March 2008, 09:15 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

I wish they would start doing this more.There are not enough feet on the street enforce parking regulations. In my village we have a new Zebra by the local store and double yellows for the rest of the store front. People continue to park on the double yellows and zig zags leading to the crossing.

20 yds away there is a free public car park, but people seem happy to endager pedestrian lives parking badly. With no parking police around they do if without fear. CCTV would be fantastic

Bring it on
Old 31 March 2008, 09:42 PM
White ST
Scooby Regular

this is all good but its not so good for us lads that have to deliver to shops as i did in london in jan, i parkd outside the shop on yellows to drop off and the w**kers got me!!!!! the only parkin area was 300yrds down the road and how can they expect to to unload 3ton of products by foot!!!!!!!!
Old 01 April 2008, 08:52 AM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chins
I wish they would start doing this more.There are not enough feet on the street enforce parking regulations. In my village we have a new Zebra by the local store and double yellows for the rest of the store front. People continue to park on the double yellows and zig zags leading to the crossing.

20 yds away there is a free public car park, but people seem happy to endager pedestrian lives parking badly. With no parking police around they do if without fear. CCTV would be fantastic

Bring it on
Your missing the point completely. I think everyone would agree that the CCTV parking fines are a major step forward... providing the technology was accurate. This however is not the case and they are being very honest with it, advising that they have improved the appeal process to cope with it.

I always thought you were innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until you can prove yourself innocent?

If you are however happy to recieve a £60.00 whilst your waiting to make a turn because the CCTV has picked you up as 'Parked Illegally' then your exactly the kind of person that has allowed this country to be 'Butt-Fuked' by the system!
Old 01 April 2008, 09:05 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

I once had to go to a hospital in High Wycombe, they chagred money to park in the bloody hospital, so i parked in the staples next to the hospital, get a letter in the post a few weeks later, with a picture of my car parked in the parking, because I was a few mins too long in the car park!!! Barstewards!!!!

Had to pay £60.

Im happy I live in Japan now, no f*cked up government like the uk has.
And people actually respect each other and their belongings here, not getting cars stolen everyday, with the police doing a great job giving out parking and speeding fines, as opposed to fighting REAL crimes. What is happening to England
Old 01 April 2008, 01:07 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djmisio85
I once had to go to a hospital in High Wycombe, they chagred money to park in the bloody hospital, so i parked in the staples next to the hospital, get a letter in the post a few weeks later, with a picture of my car parked in the parking, because I was a few mins too long in the car park!!! Barstewards!!!!

Had to pay £60.

And people actually respect each other and their belongings here, not getting cars stolen everyday, with the police doing a great job giving out parking and speeding fines, as opposed to fighting REAL crimes. What is happening to England
Govenment has lost focus, thats whats happened. Sad thing is... no matter who we vote in, they are all pretty much the same.

Govenments should be working to protect the best interests of the country and its people... not profiting from a position of power. Sad thing is that alot of the stuff they do have real potential to improve things, but they dont sell it to us in a way that makes us understand thats its in our best interests (usually because a good idea is being used for bad reasons at the moment)
Old 01 April 2008, 05:38 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marmski
Govenment has lost focus, thats whats happened. Sad thing is... no matter who we vote in, they are all pretty much the same.

Govenments should be working to protect the best interests of the country and its people... not profiting from a position of power. Sad thing is that alot of the stuff they do have real potential to improve things, but they dont sell it to us in a way that makes us understand thats its in our best interests (usually because a good idea is being used for bad reasons at the moment)
All the big government departments are advised by consultants who's main aim is to ensure the government makes money thats how bonuses on the whole are rewarded. The majority of the new 'schemes' are to make more money.
Old 01 April 2008, 06:36 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

All the big government departments are advised by consultants who's main aim is to ensure the government makes money thats how bonuses on the whole are rewarded. The majority of the new 'schemes' are to make more money.
Exactly, thats why you can now be fined for stuff that 10 years ago wasnt even an issue, to make money!

New Labia for you, the tw@ts!
Old 01 April 2008, 06:39 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I am really looking forward to having a badge that I have to wear all the time, zones that I can't enter because my ID card says I can't and being taxed/fined every second of the day for doing things like saying "the leader is gay", farting in public to walking on the wrong side of the pavement, at on coming pedestrians no less (shocking I know)
Old 01 April 2008, 07:30 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Understand that... doesnt make it right because thats not what we elect them into power for.

Wiki - Fundamental purpose of governmentThe fundamental purpose of government is the maintenance of basic security and public order — without which individuals cannot attempt to find happiness.

So.. we elect these individuals to:

Maintain Basic Security:- Failed > Not only are we currently at war, but also under high threat of terrorism on our own homeland. Finances are a mess. Army is depleated, and poorly supported by the system.
Public Order:- Failed > Chav culture is getting out of control. Clashing of increasingly diverse cultures make some locations of our biggest cities 'racial no-go' areas. Police force is bogged down by paperwork, and arguably depleated.
Allow individuals to find happiness:- Failed > The Government are happy, as are the rich... the middle/lower classes however are falling to the pressures of heavy taxation for doing nothing more than enjoying their short time on this planet and the country they were born into.

Im too young to probably understand how we exactly got into this position, but looking at what a Government is elected into power to do... and what has been delivered is a very sad sight... a famous phrase my teacher used to use is very applicable here: could do better.
Its even sadder to think that this lot are probably the best of a bad bunch at the moment. We could do with a 'Peoples Party'.. run by the people, for the people.

At the moment we focus alot of resource on trying to fix the problems of the World, and i think its deflected it away from ensuring that our own house is in order first. Im all up for helping others, but lets lead by example... and not be a country in a complete mess who isnt practicing what they are preaching to the developing nations.

We, the people can have the power.... the questions is: do you want it?

Edited to say: Cant believe i wrote all that on a dam forum over a post about CCTV cameras, because i do believe that used correctly (which in this case they wont be).. they are a massive step forward.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:48 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chins

Bring it on

Parking on zig zag lines is a no-brainer as it's 3 points and a fine!!
Old 01 April 2008, 09:08 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djmisio85

Had to pay £60.

Do you have a spare room?
Old 01 April 2008, 10:33 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Anyone see the report where many council staff are earning far more than MP's, usually in excess of £100k...

So many things wrong in this country, if the goverment pulled in the reigns and took 15% of each of these peoples pies (their own included) that alone would generate so much revnue from money reclaimed.
Old 02 April 2008, 09:30 AM
djmisio85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by renny
Do you have a spare room?
If I had a spare room my friend, im sure there would be no problem letting you stay here.

Im actually seriously considering applying for japanese citizenship, even though it would mean giving up my british passport, as dual nationality is not allowed here. But tbh, all things good about my british citizenship seem to be slowly trickling away. The british passport used to be an object of power and authority......

Now that I live in a country where people actually respect each other, this view of the british passport has gone down the drain.

Better start learning that japanese anthem.......