Sponsored by:

missfire on 1 engine light flashed and stayed on

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2008, 02:09 AM
myblack02wrx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missfire on 1 engine light flashed and stayed on

just purchased my 1st scooby it a 02 wrx with ninja downpipes and afterburner back box, pipercross panel filter with hks super sequental dump, ecu is standard, had it for a week no probs, BUT THEN, as clarkson would say, my engine light flashed at me a few times i was just cruising at 40 when it happened then its just went of. 2 days later on the way to pro tec performance to have it checked it did it again but this time it stayed on, he hooked it up and told me it was a missfire on number 1 and to change plugs, which i did ngk platuims which i think are the best, car seemed to run a lot smoother on start up, oh and the previous owner had a sport cat fitted but took it out and replaced with original and didnt put gasket back on, which i sorted during this time, thinking that it may cause the light aswell, anyway doing the same thing today cruising at 40 it flashed at me again and syayed on, car seems to run smooth with plenty of pull, blew of an m3 yesterday lol, anyone else had this problem, dont want to replace every part of the engine to cure 1 fault no what i meen, could it be a coil pack, whats this about a neutral swicth anyone now, or is it just a sensor, i want to remapp to1.1 ps but pro tec wont do it to miss fire is cured which is pretty honest of them what the best i can do now, there is a slight clicking noise on drivers side but was told by main dealer this is normal, is it. thanks for any response::
Old 23 March 2008, 02:19 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I get this error message occasionally when using crap fuel.
Where are you filling up and what with? I usually find it's BP fuel that does it to mine for some reason.
A fresh tank of Tesco 99 or Shell V-Power usually cures it for me.
Old 23 March 2008, 02:33 AM
myblack02wrx
Scooby Newbie

I only use shell v power i did put some injector cleaner in it 2 weeks ago but surely that wont hurt it, the mechanic that fitted the new spark plugs who also has the same model of car as me said that plugs that came out looked ok and if it came on again it could be coil, but the cheapest ive founf is 80 quid, but dont wont to spend that and not fix the prob as plugs and fittment cost me 70, and still have prob, driving it hard wont hurt it will it, or should i drive like a nun on sunday!
Old 23 March 2008, 08:46 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Your CEL is there for a reason, a sensor has reported a value outside its normal settings range, and is telling you something is wrong, hence the CEL.

what the fault is may or may not be instantly apparent, but relies on you to check it out.

The bottom line is , its your car and your judgement, if you ignore the CEL and rag it to ****, and it goes bang, you can expect two things.

A big hole in your wallet, & plenty of p*ss taking on here .

You say £80 for a coil pack is the cheapest youve found, but dont want to spend the money, just in case...

A suggestion, buy a fiesta, lol

As they say, "if you have to worry about the cost, then you cant afford to run it."

Lets face it, £80 for a coil pack, is prolly far cheaper than £1500+ for an engine rebuild.

I spent loads trying to track down a CEL fault, 4 sensors & plugs later it was solved

btw mine was a duff crank sensor, and a knock sensor. both gave no end of probs.

Mart
Old 23 March 2008, 11:29 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the neutral switch is the most common cause of the missfire fault code
Old 24 March 2008, 01:54 AM
myblack02wrx
Scooby Newbie

Yes i understand not to rag it when lights on, i only drive fast when i throught car was ok, since light came on i have hardly used it as i have a 328 sport as my 2nd car, you say you had a crank sensor go down how did you end up finding that out surely the ecu would have reported that sensor as a code not a missfire which would be as you say plugs coil or out of sinc valve, i like mpst people dont like giving money away to duff mechanics who dont have clue and just start from the top and work down, i freind of mine spent 680 quid on his to fix a error code when it turned out to be a neutral switch that costs 33 quid thats why i am tring to find out 1st if anyone has this prob! i apprecate your advice about the crank sensor, anymore ideas please reply
Old 24 March 2008, 11:37 AM
klidder
Scooby Regular

Why not find an approved Subaru Dealer and get them to sort it out for you? That way you have that "peace of mind" guarantee, and if they fix it and the same error occurs, then they would most probably fix it for free next time. Their prices will be high, but if you dont fancy going to different dealers then that is the only option you have.

Finally, you smoked an M3? Doubt it was trying because apparently the M3 is quicker than an STi. Tell me if I'm wrong STi owners.
Old 24 March 2008, 08:33 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Has the 'cat on fire' sensor had a cel fix..? As you seem to have a decatted up-pipe the sensor will overheat and can throw a CEL, usually during a steady cruise..

Worth removing sensor if possible TBH as it can break up with the extra heat it's exposed to and that's not good for the turbine blades

However, if the cars NOT missing, yet you're getting misfire error codes logged then that does point to a NPS.
Old 24 March 2008, 09:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblack02wrx
Yes i understand not to rag it when lights on, i only drive fast when i throught car was ok, since light came on i have hardly used it as i have a 328 sport as my 2nd car, you say you had a crank sensor go down how did you end up finding that out surely the ecu would have reported that sensor as a code not a missfire which would be as you say plugs coil or out of sinc valve, i like mpst people dont like giving money away to duff mechanics who dont have clue and just start from the top and work down, i freind of mine spent 680 quid on his to fix a error code when it turned out to be a neutral switch that costs 33 quid thats why i am tring to find out 1st if anyone has this prob! i apprecate your advice about the crank sensor, anymore ideas please reply

A faulty Crank sensor dosent throw up CEL codes, (how bizzare is that)

I asked SN and they said, either cam or crank sensor

bought the cam, to find out it was the crank,

hey ho, thats the way it is, still cheaper than paying £200+ at a stealer though

the only error code i ever got was down to the knock sensor, bearing in mind mine was a non turbo model, with no mods, i was pretty certain that it was just the sensor, £6 of fleabay for a replacement

Mart