Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Scooby Sport System - Noise Levels?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2001, 04:14 PM
Mr Bian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Having a downpipe fitted tommorow, to complete a full Scoobysport Exhaust System.

Just a thought, I'm on the Donnington Track day on the 13th, will the full system meet noise regulations for the circuit?
Old 03 January 2001, 04:18 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Yeah, you will be fine
Old 03 January 2001, 04:21 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

The term "fine" is relative.

It's about as loud as legally possible, IMHO. Neighbours didn't approve at all, had to remove the decatted mid, and get the stock one back.

I was going deaf at an alarming rate, probably for the best anyway.

/Jerry - Sweden

[This message has been edited by SecretAgentMan (edited 03 January 2001).]
Old 03 January 2001, 04:42 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ask Dave T-S - he runs a full SS exhaust system - think he mentioned something about setting off alarms in the station car park ?

Chris
Old 03 January 2001, 04:44 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

I just had the same setup fitted to my STI specifically for Donno as I had the Mongoose Rally system, (now that is deafening, if anyone wants to buy it). Pete Croney assured me that it would be fine.

Cheers
Andy
Old 03 January 2001, 05:04 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I run the full scoobysport system on my WRX and have never had a problem (even with the neighbours) I don't even think its loud in the car (well you can't hear it over the induction kit ) I have dynamatted the boot floor so this may help, but I didn't notice a noise increase inside the car when the straight through mid secttion was added. I was noise metered at Castle Coombe earlier this year at 88db
Old 03 January 2001, 05:19 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

The noise is a good thing!
Anyway, how else will your mates know you've arrived, eh Blowdog
Old 03 January 2001, 05:47 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Erm...

Which SS exhaust system ?

I broke over 102db at Donnington with mine.. I got a slight telling off

Neighbours...pah! Forget the neighbours...as long as the track officials are happy, thats all that matters

J.
Old 03 January 2001, 06:09 PM
Missing Details
Scooby Newbie

Talking

The track noise limit is concerning me a little, would different noise levels be generated due to different cars (sti/MY96/MYOO etc.)? This may explain the difference - what is the allowable limit?

Never had any problem with my neighbours - but never rev it when I'm in my street.
Old 03 January 2001, 07:09 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Question

Jason,

I've wondered about this myself.
Different sized turbo's are fitted across the range and I would imagine have an effect on noise from the exhaust.
Would the larger turbo on pre97 cars make them louder when fitted with the same exhaust?

Lee
Old 03 January 2001, 07:30 PM
Mr Bian
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the replies. As you say Firefox, stuff the neighbours I don't care about them!! It's just I don't want to drive 150 miles to Donno and then get taken off the track. For reference it is on a UK my99, SS backbox, decat mid-section and downpipe being fitted tommorow. Not sure what model it is, didn;t realise they did different ones?
Old 03 January 2001, 07:54 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Hi there (again)

There is only one model of downpipe (well two actually, they now do a 3" straight through system)... but the rest of the system can vary...resonator..cat...straight through pipe.

The track guys are very nice.. they wont ban you.. just advise you to keep the noise down (either back off by the mic...or go to the opposite side of the track when you pass it it). If this works ok, then you'll be fine

J.
Old 03 January 2001, 08:34 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Wink

Had a straight through system on my 205 GTi. Once managed to get 9 car alarms going in Manchester Arndale car park - people running around all over with their keyfobs

Old 03 January 2001, 08:46 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Hello

My neighbours are deaf - (but they didn't used to be hee hee - must be TWO SS equipped cars leaving home together at 06:00

Yes it's true my full SS system has set off car alarms - IN THE OPEN - NOT MULTISTOREY car parks

But then I love the noise.....ask Pete Croney - he will know the DB readings better than anyone.
Old 03 January 2001, 08:48 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dream Weaver
Good lad.....
Old 04 January 2001, 12:26 AM
Mr Bian
Scooby Regular

Dropped the car at Cheam Motors this a.m to get the DP fitted, sounds like it might be a little to noisy for road us, but looking forward to giving it a try

Looks like I'll be ok for Donnington then, another question while we are on the DP thing, will I be getting some flames?
Old 04 January 2001, 12:55 AM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Pete,

I was about to book for Goodwood, what do you recommend to bring the noise levels down to acceptable levels?

Andy
Old 04 January 2001, 01:58 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

Just installed the full system myself. Found the cabin noise was a bit on the loud side so the standard sti mid section has gone back in. Perfect noise levels now, inside and out

Power levels are no way near what the full system releases (which is not such a bad thing since i thought my engine was going to blow it was so fast ).

Cheers, Mark
Still getting acquainted with all the DP whooshy noises
Old 04 January 2001, 09:54 AM
P
Scooby Regular

I am also thinking of fitting the downpipe as well (already have SS back-box and centre-section)but am concerned about the cabin noise (not too worried about the neighbours either )

People mention re-fitting the standard centre section to take the edge off the noise, but I have also heard about a centre section that has baffles but no cat and therefore is not as restrictive power-wise, is this the Magnex?

What is the best power/noise compromise ??

Matt
Old 04 January 2001, 09:54 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

A full Scoobysport system produces 92-93dB on full acceleration drive by at Donno. Their limit is 98dB.

Firefox has a custom system which is 3" straight through. Without baffling, the larger the pipe diameter, the less effect a straight through silencer has.

When you are next at Donno, you can watch the noise meter graphing its reading in the control tower.

The only place that is a problem for noise is Goodwood. They seem to get very high readings (105dB from a car that I know to be 96dB) and will send you home. Many standard cars and bikes have had trouble passing the noise test there, let alone ones with modded exhausts/induction systems.

Anyone at Castle Combe in 98 when virtually all the group B cars were npt allowed to run? Shame. Panterra's, RS200's, Metro 6R4's all sat in the carpark all day.
Old 04 January 2001, 10:31 AM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

I have full SS system and found it a bit loud (MY99). I have found the best compromise for noise/performance is to fit a magnex centre with resonator.

Hope this helps
Old 04 January 2001, 01:51 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The easiest thing is to take a standard backbox along. If you fail, you could pop out to garage and get it swapped over.

I do get annoyed by people who by a house next to an airfield/circuit and then spend every waking hour campaigning against the noise.
Old 04 January 2001, 02:23 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Annoys me as well. Especially at a place like Goodwood which has had a racing circuit for many many years (and if my memory serves me right, it is not the most populated area in the world anyway).

Chris
Old 04 January 2001, 06:11 PM
sbyatt
Scooby Newbie

Question

I have a noise level meter (originally for setting up the surround hi-fi). What's the procedure for measuring the noise of a car or bike? Distance? Location? Front, Behind? At what revs?
Old 04 January 2001, 07:42 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SecretAgentMan:
<B>The term "fine" is relative.

It's about as loud as legally possible, IMHO. Neighbours didn't approve at all, had to remove the decatted mid, and get the stock one back.

I was going deaf at an alarming rate, probably for the best anyway.

/Jerry - Sweden

[This message has been edited by SecretAgentMan (edited 03 January 2001).][/quote]

Jerry, once again, another irrelvant comment. The gentleman asked whether his system would pass noise regulations for the circuit, not whether it would **** off his neighbours.....keep it on track me old eurotrash!

Old 04 January 2001, 07:52 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Evenin Croydontrash

Jerry - take no notice of him - schools are still on holiday here and his supply of jailbait has dried up.....

Back on track (pardon the pun.... )
Old 04 January 2001, 10:04 PM
Mr Bian
Scooby Regular

Cool

Me a Gentleman now it's a fair old time since I've been called one of them Cheers Sunlip!

Having collected the Scoob from Cheam Motors and taken the detour (country lanes, high walls, bridges etc!!) route home, I can safely say DP's rock. Pick up and response seems so much better. As for the noise, stuff the neighbours its chuffing brilliant!!!