Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

free servicing. has anyone had money back if supplying their own bits?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2008, 01:39 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default free servicing. has anyone had money back if supplying their own bits?

i've got my last free service coming up and there's a few bits i want to supply myself. namely oil, air filter and spark plugs.

now these through the subaru garage must be knocking on over £100 retail and as i'm after the Prodrive spring kit i was thinking a discount of said amount wouldn't be too much to ask?

i'm assuming the garage bills Subaru UK the full amount of labour, parts and sundries? so they won't loose out?

what do you guys think/have experienced?
Old 22 February 2008, 04:30 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

LOL! You cheeky barsteward, as if getting the service free isn't enough for you! In all seriousness, I'd have thought they might knock a bit off the springs, but £100 might be pushing your luck...

Actually, if you don't mind me hijacking your thread a little, I've also got a free 3 year service due next month. I was wondering what the time window is for getting it done? If the car was registered at the start of March, how late do you reckon they'd honour the free service till? The two year service wasn't done until the end of April (by the previous owner) and he got it free...
Old 22 February 2008, 05:08 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
LOL! You cheeky barsteward, as if getting the service free isn't enough for you! In all seriousness, I'd have thought they might knock a bit off the springs, but £100 might be pushing your luck...

Actually, if you don't mind me hijacking your thread a little, I've also got a free 3 year service due next month. I was wondering what the time window is for getting it done? If the car was registered at the start of March, how late do you reckon they'd honour the free service till? The two year service wasn't done until the end of April (by the previous owner) and he got it free...
cheeky, yes i do try. but let's be honest they aren't going to loose anything from their own pockets! don't ask, don't get!
booked it in and he's going to see 'what he can do'. he took a note of what i'm supplying and hopefully he'll knock of trade price, maybe £50? lol, should do a poll

as for how long the period lasts, i would imagine 3 years to the day of the first registration.
you might get a bit of grace if you book it in and they do the paperwork before the 3 years is up, but i don't think you'll get much more.

mine doesn't run out until 20th march but i'm tied up for the next couple of weeks and didn't want to take a chance.

just spotted your car, cracking colour choice

Last edited by hoskib; 22 February 2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 22 February 2008, 05:12 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Phoned the Subaru dealer who services my car the other day about the free servicing on my car and they said I will get the free service up until the end of March - my car was registered new on March 1st 2005.It is in the service book that you can get the servicing done up to a month either side of the registration date and outwith that the warranty is void not that that matters now.They also said that the three year warranty expires on 29th February so any repair work needed will have to be paid for by myself after that date but considering the low mileage and that the car flew through its MOT the other day I will wait until March to get the service done.

The dealer will also try to rip you off for the body service at three years old - I got charged £120 for this on the first year service but there is no way that they are getting a penny this time.I will do it myself for £16 a gallon of waxoyl and wont have to clean up the mess off the mudlaps/sills etc.I also noticed when waxoyling the car for the first time after I bought it that there was no protection at all under the plastic aerodynamic trays on the bottom of the car - takes two minutes to remove these and bearing in mind that the sills are behind these trays its worth doing.

Cant see Subaru giving you money back for supplying the bits but I suppose its worth a try.The Prodrive springs are well worth fitting as they make a big difference to the handling and a massive difference to the way the car looks.
Old 22 February 2008, 05:14 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Another white one - they are getting common
Old 22 February 2008, 05:36 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

If there are only five 2005 STI's in white in the country, what are the chances that three of them would post on this thread?! Did all white ones come with free servicing as a reward for buying the best colour or something?!
Old 22 February 2008, 05:41 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmac800
Phoned the Subaru dealer who services my car the other day about the free servicing on my car and they said I will get the free service up until the end of March - my car was registered new on March 1st 2005.It is in the service book that you can get the servicing done up to a month either side of the registration date and outwith that the warranty is void not that that matters now.They also said that the three year warranty expires on 29th February so any repair work needed will have to be paid for by myself after that date but considering the low mileage and that the car flew through its MOT the other day I will wait until March to get the service done.

The dealer will also try to rip you off for the body service at three years old - I got charged £120 for this on the first year service but there is no way that they are getting a penny this time.I will do it myself for £16 a gallon of waxoyl and wont have to clean up the mess off the mudlaps/sills etc.I also noticed when waxoyling the car for the first time after I bought it that there was no protection at all under the plastic aerodynamic trays on the bottom of the car - takes two minutes to remove these and bearing in mind that the sills are behind these trays its worth doing.

Cant see Subaru giving you money back for supplying the bits but I suppose its worth a try.The Prodrive springs are well worth fitting as they make a big difference to the handling and a massive difference to the way the car looks.
yeah, i've wanted to lower it for ages. just ordered a carbon fibre splitter aswell, a bit jittery as to how that will go over speed bumps! how do you get on with yours mate?
funnily enough they've never bothered with pushing the body service i'm quietly confident i'll get a reasonable discount, if nothing else i'm a long time customer and they normally do ok by me

white rocks

Last edited by hoskib; 22 February 2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 22 February 2008, 05:44 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
If there are only five 2005 STI's in white in the country, what are the chances that three of them would post on this thread?! Did all white ones come with free servicing as a reward for buying the best colour or something?!
lol, there is a bit of a trend with the free servicing with this threads posters i thought one of us might have the free PPP option!

i think i read one of the 2005 white sti's was written off, we just got rarer guys
Old 22 February 2008, 05:45 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

The garage would be daft to bill Subaru for stuff it did not use. Why would they commit a fraud for a bit of oil and a filter to keep you happy? You didn't even buy the car new from them!
Old 22 February 2008, 05:50 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by noobyscooby
You didn't even buy the car new from them!
what makes you say that? have i got a stalker?

i just assumed it was like an insurance job, they get reimbursed a flat rate for the labour hours subaru themselves dictate and the parts they state need changing.

you want fraud, why are you charged for 5x1litre oil pack when the car only takes 4.5 litres and they take the oil from a big vat in the back anyway
Old 22 February 2008, 05:50 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
lol, there is a bit of a trend with the free servicing with this threads posters i thought one of us might have the free PPP option!

i think i read one of the 2005 white sti's was written off, we just got rarer guys
The bloke that bought mine new managed to negotiate both the free PPP and the free servicing, not sure how me managed it though...

I remember reading on here that a white 05 was written off in Scotland a few months ago...
Old 22 February 2008, 07:38 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

There was a thread on here a few months ago about a white one that got smashed in Glasgow.

You could get the PPP and servicing free from about May 2005 for a couple of months - I got mines on 1st March (after waiting four months) so only got the servicing which pissed me off no end.

Hoskib what splitter did you get I looked into importing a carbon one from the US last year but never went through with it.I have a Scott Lowe one on it just now and have had no problem with speed humps etc even with the Prodrive springs - its really poor quality though and the fibreglass is so thin it has holed in places so I dont know whether to fill/respray it or get another.
Old 22 February 2008, 08:09 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmac800
There was a thread on here a few months ago about a white one that got smashed in Glasgow.

You could get the PPP and servicing free from about May 2005 for a couple of months - I got mines on 1st March (after waiting four months) so only got the servicing which pissed me off no end.

Hoskib what splitter did you get I looked into importing a carbon one from the US last year but never went through with it.I have a Scott Lowe one on it just now and have had no problem with speed humps etc even with the Prodrive springs - its really poor quality though and the fibreglass is so thin it has holed in places so I dont know whether to fill/respray it or get another.
i got the splitter thru ebay via a company called JW racing, they had 2 and i got the last one. just chanced upon it, i had a look at getting one from the US aswell but wasn't sure how it would work with customs.
i also found a place that does them SRB Power Ltd - Chargespeed Impreza GD-C/D/E Blob Eye (02-05) Bottom Lines it's the 5019c.
not cheap but i don't think any of them are! question mark for me is the quality of the carbon weave, anyone can do a mould and lay up, but carbon is dead easy to **** up and it will look crap. i eventually got a few pics and took the plunge, fingers crossed it's the right choice!

shame about the scott lowe splitter, i thought they were supposed to be 'good ones'. i had a HT autos one and that was ok, they do a better material one now aswell that seems to be getting the thumbs up
Old 22 February 2008, 09:04 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Cheers did see the Chargespeed one but as you say its a lot of money and knowing my luck will probably get broken anyway.

Did think about changing the car but dont really fancy the new STI or Evo X but will wait and see what they look like in the flesh.

Did invest in some Dodo Double wax and it is miles better than the Jeffs.
Old 22 February 2008, 10:59 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

"you want fraud, why are you charged for 5x1litre oil pack when the car only takes 4.5 litres and they take the oil from a big vat in the back anyway "

You don't get 5 x 1 litre packs. What I suspect would appear on the bill is oil measured in units - in this case 1 litre - multiplied by 5 which is not the same. And is the garage is overcharging you, ask them about - but then again of course, you are not paying for the service.
Old 23 February 2008, 02:30 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by noobyscooby
And is the garage is overcharging you, ask them about - but then again of course, you are not paying for the service.
but then again of course, i have paid for the best part of 10 years yeah, really sorry for using the free service option, should have thrown it away. god forbid i get something back as a loyal customer.

FFS there was a at the end of the comment!

anyway, bmac what way do you find the dodo better mate? is it easier to work with? i've no problem with the jeffs but it can be hard work!
Old 23 February 2008, 03:21 PM
scooty
Scooby Regular

Ref the free servicing.

The dealer gets paid by SUK at warranty rates, so therefore labour will be reduced as will parts - prob cost plus 2%

S
Old 01 March 2008, 01:31 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

end result.... a Prodrive spring kit for £115

who says all dealers are arseholes