Sponsored by:

How to stop my car getting stolen. type UK 2003

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2008, 06:57 PM
WRXSTIUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to stop my car getting stolen. type UK 2003

Hi - I am about to build an extension to my house but this would mean that I can no longer park my Impreza STI type UK behind a locked carport. It’s a sacrifice that I have to make. The thing is as I live in Walthamstow and nice cars are not really safe around here. I was wondering what I could do to deter the car thief from targeting my car.

I have the Subaru Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser. I have a tracker but its not activated.

I have tracker stickers on the window.

Can anyone recommend a steering lock?........ or anything else that I can do to stop the targeting of my car. It may sound like I am overreacting but don't really want my car stolen. My Supra Twin Turbo was stolen a while back so its got me worried

an idea below?

http://www.parkingfacilities.co.uk/D...Posts_PD01.pdf
Old 21 February 2008, 07:05 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

you want a thatcham aproved disklok. Cost £80, but are pretty decent.
They fit loose around the stearing wheel so it cant be used to break the steering lock.

They did about a million tests with it and couldnt break it off.
if the cars on your drive then maybe one of those posts would be good as well.
Old 21 February 2008, 07:12 PM
scotthldr
Scooby Regular

Thing with these locks and stickers saying that you have a tracker fitted, is that they don't deter the idiots that are trying to steal the car. Instead they will try and wreck the lock off trashing your car in the process or rip the car out looking for the tracker then either leave it alone or nick it anyway.

Only deterrent is to stop them getting near the car in the first place put up a six foot fence around your garden then add 2 Dobermans into the equation
Old 21 February 2008, 07:18 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Plus, even with all these "deterrents" if they really want your car - they'll get into your house and threaten your family until you hand the keys over. Its less hassle than trying to get around the immobiliser.
Old 21 February 2008, 07:19 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scotthldr
Thing with these locks and stickers saying that you have a tracker fitted, is that they don't deter the idiots that are trying to steal the car. Instead they will try and wreck the lock off trashing your car in the process or rip the car out looking for the tracker then either leave it alone or nick it anyway.

Only deterrent is to stop them getting near the car in the first place put up a six foot fence around your garden then add 2 Dobermans into the equation
too right
Old 21 February 2008, 07:20 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Removeable steering wheel is an option, certainly a visual deterent.

Means no airbag though, and insurance company must be told as not to invalidate your insurance.
Old 21 February 2008, 07:30 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Plus, even with all these "deterrents" if they really want your car - they'll get into your house and threaten your family until you hand the keys over. Its less hassle than trying to get around the immobiliser.
too right all you can do is deter them it is impossible to stop them nicking it if they are desperate to have it.
like you say break in threaten the family to get keys.
Old 21 February 2008, 07:35 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

I would say the posts are not a bad solution, or else a good quality wheel clamp like the clampers use is a fair bit less hassle for you to do. I agree with previous post that any internal mechanical deterents like steering wheel covers aren't perfect because some ****** may fancy a go at it and break into the car to do it. How about sticking a cctv camera in plain sight pointing at the car?
Kevin
Old 21 February 2008, 08:37 PM
WRXSTIUK300
Scooby Regular

Think i have decided.

1) disklok
2) Post thing
3) CCTV.

Hopefully they will then look elsewhere.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:22 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

them diskloks are £50 from argos mate, i got one every bit helps.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:44 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Autolok is another cheap quick addition. Not the strongest but another bright yellow device that means a few more seconds trying to get away.

5t.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:51 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
too right all you can do is deter them it is impossible to stop them nicking it if they are desperate to have it.
like you say break in threaten the family to get keys.
They could threaten you family for the keys. But that involves breaking in. Then as a consiquence you get the noise, and the count down starts ticking. They dont hang around to see wether or not they were heard and if the police are on way. Once that first window/door is smashed they asume they are compromised. If they know there is more to getting in and driving off, i.e disc lock etc, then the risk becomes greater for them, and your car becomes less of a target. Takes me a good 30 seconds sometimes to find my disc lock key, get it in the lock and remove it from the wheel. Imagine if your shaking under adrenaline after breaking in and taking the keys, your pals saying "hurry up, hurry up" it aint gonna be 30 secs i tell ya. Unless of course were dealing with proffesional car theif with nerves of steel. But then i dont think you get many of them wanting 10-15k scoobys, less that 10k once stolen.

hmmm, whats with the esay SetoN

Better go to bed i think
Old 21 February 2008, 11:37 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

Make a diy car immobliser using a reed switch that closes when a magnet is passed over it.

Basicaly what you do is tap into a vital car starting circuit, using some simple wiring and a couple of relays its the most effective immobliser in the world.!!

The reed switch can be hidden anywhere and because its magnetically operated there is nothing in plain view. The Magnet that opperates this switch can be hidden in an old key fob which has had its guts ripped out.

Even if a theif breaks into your house (god forbid) give them the keys and rest easy that your car wont be going anywhere. Although i would be concerned that the theif might come back into the house to find out why your car wont start. The resolution to this is simple.

Just use your normal thatcham alarm/imm but wire in the reed switch so that it controls the electrical circuit of the fuel pump. The theif will get away with your car... but they will only get as far as the fuel sitting in the feeds will allow. Thats about half mile in a scooby!!.
Old 22 February 2008, 12:03 AM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

If you car is going to be parked on your driveway get a system that alerts you if someone is on your driveway, cctv is good but it doesn't tell you if someone is on your driveway.......................

Good luck
Old 22 February 2008, 12:08 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/5090.html
Old 22 February 2008, 12:55 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Disklok, its a good visual deterent and like someone has already said, most thieves are opportunist (as well as w@nkrs) and will most likely walk past a car with a massive yellow steel lock over the entire steering wheel.

Just make sure you practice the putting on and taking off routine a few times when you get it. The day after I got mine I was removing it and I bounced it off my passengers head. My mate needed 4 stitches in his baldy bonce.
Old 22 February 2008, 01:02 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

Your not supposed to put a tracker sticker onyour car otherwise it invalidates your cover.

Get a Thatcam Cat alarm from Clifform etc, the higher the number the less likely to get you car stolen. Cat 5 on porkers seems to work a treat. You cant fart in your car without the security company knowing.
Old 22 February 2008, 01:04 PM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob2006
Make a diy car immobliser using a reed switch that closes when a magnet is passed over it.

Basicaly what you do is tap into a vital car starting circuit, using some simple wiring and a couple of relays its the most effective immobliser in the world.!!

The reed switch can be hidden anywhere and because its magnetically operated there is nothing in plain view. The Magnet that opperates this switch can be hidden in an old key fob which has had its guts ripped out.

Even if a theif breaks into your house (god forbid) give them the keys and rest easy that your car wont be going anywhere. Although i would be concerned that the theif might come back into the house to find out why your car wont start. The resolution to this is simple.

Just use your normal thatcham alarm/imm but wire in the reed switch so that it controls the electrical circuit of the fuel pump. The theif will get away with your car... but they will only get as far as the fuel sitting in the feeds will allow. Thats about half mile in a scooby!!.
Sounds good, is this a similar method to blackjax? I've heard the name blackjax bantered about but don't know how it actually works.
Old 22 February 2008, 01:07 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Walthamstow is a bloody nightmare for breakins. My uncle was in his lounge and they broke in in the middle of the day. Came out to make a cuppa and some ****** was in the dining room ! They got mugged 3 doors away from getting home one night. I think in 2002 they were burgled 3 times ! Not sure what this years total is. My worry for you is that if they can see the car they will break into your house for the means to steal it anyway. If it is on the drive can you factor in one of those driveway defenders to the build ?
Old 22 February 2008, 01:08 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Get a Dipol gearlock fitted.
Old 22 February 2008, 01:19 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

You can go to quite some lengths to try and protect your car, but they are only effective upto a point. You might be able to deter joyriders, but pros and criminals looking for getaway cars will stop at nothing.

Diskloks are are effective at slowing someone down and deterring joyriders. Posts are also good at this.

Trackers, immobilisers, posts etc are not really a problem for pros, but they may look for softer targets. Stopping criminals looking for getaway cars is another matter.

If you buy a tracker, buy a pro-active unit.

DIY immobilisers work well. Had success before by just removing a fuse everytime I left the car (pre Scoob days).

Unfortunately there is a way around all the security methods listed.
Old 22 February 2008, 01:39 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Blackjaxx does work a treat. A little bit fiddly at times, but works. I recently left the supermarket entering the code incorrectly. Coasted to a halt half around the first roundabout, with all sirens blaring and lighting up like a christmas tree.

Supaglass film will also stop the windows getting smashed.

Be careful with the CCTV, some people have them, had an incident and the people are unrecognisable.
Old 22 February 2008, 04:36 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Disklok. Make sure you get the full size one that covers the entire steering wheel, not the half-size one, as the latter apparently has a well known weakness that enables it to be removed quickly (according to Auto Express or some such magazine I was reading).

I've had my Disklok 7 or 8 years and it still works perfectly, although it is a pain to carry about!
Old 22 February 2008, 05:07 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
Another vote for Disklok. Make sure you get the full size one that covers the entire steering wheel, not the half-size one, as the latter apparently has a well known weakness that enables it to be removed quickly (according to Auto Express or some such magazine I was reading).

I've had my Disklok 7 or 8 years and it still works perfectly, although it is a pain to carry about!
1) The post (I have one that slides into the ground when not in use)
2) Disklok
3) Black Jack/Alarm
4) Tracker

Now if you have these most thieves will then look at the house to get keys as thats too much hassle so you then have to make sure thats fine. I have porch and front door security so it's too hard to get through the front. I am also getting CCTV soon.

I don't have a dog but I'm an accomplished Thai boxer (part owner of a Thai boxing gym/nursery in w-ton) so if someone breaks in I will defend myself. I live next door to a police officer (I kid you not) and I have a Prison wardener 3 doors away also.

So I would say have as much visual deterant as possible but then possibly ensure your house is fine too

I'm all for having dangerous traps in ur house wouldn't it be nice if when a thief broke in they ended up in a room like that in SAW where they had a Subaru key and the door key in a box full of poisonous snakes......
Old 22 February 2008, 05:12 PM
mollymai
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-2001-wrx.html

See above on the next page, someone has discovered one in a car they are looking at, looks a good idea.
Old 22 February 2008, 09:39 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a barrier deadlock system http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-specia...362&EL=2577481 Approx £199 back in 2001.

SIDC members use to receive a discount on them too. Hope it helps
Old 22 February 2008, 09:46 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I think most cars are hard enough to pinch now a days that the thieves just go for the keys. That's what the police told me when they were at our house investigating our burglary where the b@statrds took both of our cars off the drive whilst we were asleep upstairs .

It's a sad world where not even a diesel Skoda is safe (abet a bright red vRS one ). The police were excellent and both cars are now back having been recovered within 2 hours.

Steve
Old 23 February 2008, 12:30 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Diskloks are a pain, get a dipol fitted.
Old 23 February 2008, 01:13 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Most of the suggestions above cover the most effective solution. For me it would be...

1. OE Alarm/Immobilisor
2. Disklok
3. Dipol/Barrier Deadlock
4. Post

All these are very effective as long as they have not acquired your keys, so to cover that...

5. Clifford Blackjax

As for Trackers, would you want a thrashed and trashed car back anyway ? Also, most new trackers run on GSM technology which can be overcome with a device bought from eBay for under £100. They can usually be found and removed/disabled in under 2 minutes by any thief who knows their stuff anyway. Waste of time, money and space IMHO.
Old 23 February 2008, 08:24 AM
trigot33
Scooby Regular

Get one of these Bad M*****F****** !!!!!!!!!! if anyone does manage to get away all you need to look out for the next morning is a pair of jaws stuck to someones leg.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...04_468x372.jpg

Last edited by trigot33; 23 February 2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: new

Quick Reply: How to stop my car getting stolen. type UK 2003