keeps on not starting...

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2008, 09:00 PM
deza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keeps on not starting...

Evening

My 2006 WRX type UK is driving me up the wall (not literally !). To cut a long story shortish:

1. I often only drive it at the weekends

2. A couple of month ago it wouldn't start - flat battery. I hadn't left any lights on, but it was fine after a jump start.

3. I read on here about the 'smart' alternator, so always drive with side lights on.

4. Same problem kept happening - won't start having not been used for around 5/6 days. Press the key fob to unlock and nothing happens. Have to jump start (again). Neighbours love me as the alarm goes off.

5. Got subaru to look at it. They spent 3 hours checking each fuse. They told me the battery & alternator were fine, all car electricals fine, must be the tracker.

6. So, I got tracker out a few weeks ago, who reduced the time it takes the tracker to go to sleep from 6 hours to 1 hour. Apparrently a common problem.

7. Guess what happened this weekend, after the car had not been driven for 5 days....same again.

Am going to get Subaru to sort it out, but any ideas what is wrong ?

Cheers
Old 03 February 2008, 09:32 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Loose battery clamp maybe.
Old 03 February 2008, 09:34 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Let Subaru sort it out under warranty.
Old 03 February 2008, 09:58 PM
deza
Scooby Regular

Cheers - will get subaru to sort it under the warranty, but when I spoke to them they told me that as they has tested everything it must be the tracker. But as the tracker is apprently sorted, they will have to have another go !
Old 04 February 2008, 09:13 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably needs a new battery so should be able to get it under warranty. I got my car at a year old and it already had a new battery in it. I reckon its going to need a replacement soon as well. The alarm is quite a heavy drain and the tracker as well won't help.
Old 04 February 2008, 09:45 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I presume you have tried actaully charging the battery?

By now, I guess its sulphated itself and will be knackered. Deep-discharging kills car batterys and reduces their maximum capacity. Meaning you get to a point where its capacity is not enough to last a few days of standing.

The alternator won't fully charge the battery - lights on or not. Unless your driving up and down the motorway for hours on end. It'll put in about 70-80% of the charge in a couple of hours. But when the battery's internal voltage rises, then it affects the amount of current it can accept, so unless your driving for 12 hours non-stop at the very least - it won't be fully charged.

"Dumb" trickle (or fast) chargers will either it leave undercharged - causing sulphation, or overcharge to the point it gasses-off too much...in either case reducing its overall capacity.

An intelligent charger, is the way to go. Some will try and desulphate the battery, and can be left on for as long as you like. Have a google for "Optimate".

Other than that, a new battery. And seeing it is a common problem on these cars when not used often, a larger capacity battery with a higher Ah (Amp hour) and CCA (cold cranking Amps) rating than the factory one would help alot.
Old 05 February 2008, 01:31 PM
deza
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice. Car going back to Suabru tomorrow for them to sort out.

When they tested the battery last time, they told me that the battery was fine and din't need replacing. What AH / CCA should I be looking at for a new battery ?
Old 05 February 2008, 02:28 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

This is very common, as you've obviously seen from searching SN..!

IMHO, there seems to be an issue with the quality control of the OEM battery, some have problems, whilst others like myself have never had any issues with a flat battery.

The dealer should change the battery, which in most cases sorts it out, however there have been a few people who've had them changed under warranty several times before getting a 'good' one and the problem going away..!

It would be interesting to know if anyone has had this kind of problem with a decent aftermarket battery..?

BTW don't let the dealer fob you off with everything tested OK..! Tell them the car is unreliable and that is totally unacceptable..! Don't forget your wife/GF drives it and if it failed to start she could be left in a vulnerable situation..!
Old 05 February 2008, 06:39 PM
deza
Scooby Regular

Thanks - that's really useful. I have had enough now as this has been going on for too long - I expect a car that is only 18 months old & been looked after to start first time ! As far as I am concerned Subaru need to sort the problem out under warranty asap, otherwise they can give me a new car/refund ! I won't remind them of the Sale of Goods Act just yet....

FYI, the dealer told me that this was a common problem, and that all Subaru dealers have been told to disconnect the batteries on their demo cars to prevent then from not starting !

Any advice on the amount of AH/CCA I should be asking for in a new battery greatly appreciated.
Old 05 February 2008, 09:13 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Makes you wonder how they "test" them. To correctly test them, it needs to be fully charged, allowed to stand for several hours and then a 200amp load placed across it for about 20seconds with the voltage measured during that test period...if it drops below 10volts, its not charged enough or its dead.

If it passes that part, then it needs to be left to stand for 10minutes or so to recover, then the voltage measured...if its below 12.4 volts. Its no good or not charged enough - recharge and then re-do the whole test.

Doubt many garages go to that effort

Not sure what your Impreza has from the factory (look at the label on the battery). The 'shop manual suggests its 48Ah for EU cars and doesn't give a CCA rating.

But Varta states it should be 60Ah and CCA of 540amps (EN / EU figures). Inccidentally, the same for every impreza year and varient manufactured!

Fit as high as you can find that'll still fit in the tray and not foul the bonnet.
Old 05 February 2008, 10:07 PM
deza
Scooby Regular

cheers for that - will hopefully be sorted by subaru tomorrow....
Old 06 February 2008, 01:47 PM
deza
Scooby Regular

Dropped her off this morning. Lots of chin rubbing by the subaru chaps - '"all we can do is test it to see what's wrong" (duh!)......