Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xenon HL bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2000, 12:22 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone got Xenon headlamp bulbs in their car?

Are they really any better and if so, which do you recommend?
Old 27 December 2000, 01:29 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I'd love to help but the ones I ordered from ScoobySport about 57 years ago have yet to arrive so I can't say yet.
If they ever do arrive I'll let you know.
Old 27 December 2000, 02:03 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've just upgraded from Xenon to Xenon Ultra (from the US) These bulbs have a higher colour temperature than PIAA Superwhite (or Platinum Superwhites). I haven't run them for long yet (I rarely use the car) but the light is phenomenal. They really look like HID from infront, and they are a definate improvement over the standard Xenon, but then they are 95/100watt so they should be. (and yes I am keeping an eye on the wiring loom, but it didn't seem hot when I ran them the other day).
Old 27 December 2000, 03:03 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

stuart,

isn't 95/100 illegal?

suppose you can see alright tho - sod the poor innocent drivers going the other way.

maybe you should think of others and not just yourself.

rant over - sorry.
Old 27 December 2000, 03:14 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've got 130/90w bulbs in my car (albeit not a Scooby) and with the headlamps aimed correctly they do not blind people, i've checked.

Owain McRae.

Old 27 December 2000, 03:39 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Angry

Rant ON

Oi Jjones, if you had ever met me you would know that I am not the sort of irresponsible twonk you make me out to be, check your facts first. Yes technically they are illegal, but just because they are bright doesn't mean they blind oncoming drivers! As stated above, if they are correctly aimed, AND MINE ARE, they don't cause a problem. Has anybody been prosecuted for having HID headlights which are VERY bright, I don't think so. So get off your high horse and think before you go wading in!

Rant OFF
Old 27 December 2000, 03:55 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

The above may be true, but make sure you tell your insurance company about them first. Some get very sniffy about extra bright lights and it could give them an excuse not to pay out
Old 27 December 2000, 04:04 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Neil,

You are right, but how can I tell the insurance company I've fitted something technically illegal to my car, they would cancel on the spot (I would imagine). The chances of having an accident are small, the chances of that being down to headlights blinding the other driver are even smaller, and the chances of them checking the back of the bulbs smaller still.... I do know what you are saying, but I would rather take the risk of not killing a child walking in the road because I can now see him (or her) where I wouldn't have been able to with the Cr*p standard lights. They don't do the morette headlights for the early car so I don't have a lot of choice for improving dip beam other than better (and bloody expensive) bulbs.
Old 27 December 2000, 04:13 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Mail Rum* off line he may be able to help on the best thing to call them. Call em driving lights or enhanced lighting or something. That way you're covered. IMHO most insurance companies will weasel out of anything given half the chance, also if it comes out then you may be prosecuted for having no insurance which is a minimum of 6 points. In my view don't risk it.
Old 27 December 2000, 04:23 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

I think they'd still cover you but for TPO, as this is their legal responsibility, in the same way as if your car is not taxed...

I await to be corrected?

Owain McRae.
Old 27 December 2000, 09:41 PM
Dick White
Scooby Regular

Well i`ve got 95/100 Xenon lamps in mine, and theres been many a time when i`ve followed coppers and never been pulled yet!

If correctly set up they are ne more brighter to on coming vehicles than standard lamps.Theres been many a time when i`ve had to swith my rear veiw mirror to "nightdriving" due to some unconsiderate driver not re-adjusting his lamps for the full car load of people that he`s driving around

I`ll also take the chance with the insurance.The only time i would have thought that they would check would be upon a head on crash with the other party claiming that they were dazzled by my headlights...<I>very</I> unlikely.